How do I uninstall Microsoft Launcher

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Microsoft Launcher was installed this morning 11/20/2017. How do I uninstall it and when I uninstall it I want all my previous settings restored back including icons etc.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. What device do you have? You could try this. First make sure to enable your stock launcher back (the right steps will depend on your model and version of android), then go to settings - security - device administrator and uncheck Microsoft Launcher. Finally, in settings - apps select MS launcher - force stop - clear data and uninstall. Tell us how it goes.

WandaMolnar

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. What device do you have? You could try this. First make sure to enable your stock launcher back (the right steps will depend on your model and version of android), then go to settings - security - device administrator and uncheck Microsoft Launcher. Finally, in settings - apps select MS launcher - force stop - clear data and uninstall. Tell us how it goes.

Unfortunately, the "Uninstall" in Settings is greyed out in when Microsoft Launcher is installed, even if I have forced stop. So--how do I uninstall without that option in the basic settings? Is there an advance way to do this?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately, the "Uninstall" in Settings is greyed out in when Microsoft Launcher is installed, even if I have forced stop. So--how do I uninstall without that option in the basic settings? Is there an advance way to do this?
Thanks for registering! What device do you have? You could also try uninstalling that app after booting in safe mode.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or you can open Settings/App manager, open the launcher, then Clear Defaults.

When you hit the Home button, you'll be asked which launcher to use. Select the old one. All your layouts should stay the way they were before. (Launchers keep their own settings.)

Then look for Device Administrators in Settings. If the Microsoft Launcher installed as a Device Administrator, it won't delete, so uncheck the box for it, then go back to App manager and see if the Uninstall button is active again.

Netherthorpe

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I assume you installed the app from Play Store - have you tried uninstalling it from there? I uninstall by going to Play Store > My Apps & Games > Installed. When I've found the app in question, I tap the Open button (not a very helpful label!). It takes me to the app's Play Store page, with an Uninstall button.

It always works from my Moto G phone, perhaps it will in your device.

Gayle Lynn

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Varies by phone, OS version.

And MS launcher latest version changed.

Change default app for launcher

Might want to backup your settings even if you want to uninstall. Or just leave it but don't use.

Nova Prime is a popular launcher. Can backup its settings. Not sure twz does, but it should revert to what you had.