Why is my Galaxy s5 saying it "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped" ?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Why is my Galaxy s5 saying it "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped" ?

I was using my phone, however, it said something weird. It said, unfortunately, the process android.process.media is not working. But why? Can you please help me solve this issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Why is my Galaxy s5 saying it "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped" ?

Welcome to Android Central! That can be due to a corrupt media file, which is more likely to be on the SD card (if present). See if it goes away if you unmount your SD card and remove it.

Auddiegrey

Oct 21, 2018
Visit site
Re: Why is my Galaxy s5 saying it "unfortunately, the process android.process.media has stopped" ?

Welcome to Android Central! That can be due to a corrupt media file, which is more likely to be on the SD card (if present). See if it goes away if you unmount your SD card and remove it.

I'm having the exact same problem and I don't have a SD card in I factory reset the phone tried cleaning the caches and data for the framework and the media storage as told to by the Internet and I can't get it to stop popping up

Lizran

Dec 23, 2018
Visit site

Hi
I waded through numerous forums because of this problem. There appear to be a number of related issues associated with media. This is a bit long but might help others who have similar problems.
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S5.
Gallery not showing/finding all photos, and Popup “Unfortunately android.process.media has stopped”.

Tried all the fixes mentioned in forums.
Deleted the .nomedia files. Didn't work.
Go to App manager/media storage/clear cache/delete data/disable/restart/enable.
Didn’t work.
Used the same process after trying media storage on Gallery, Google Services, contacts, contact storage, etc. Still the problem recurred.
Backed up to Smart Switch.
Factory reset. Working OK. Reinstall everything from Smart Switch. Bad again.
Factory Reset. Install only basics with no Apps.
Working OK. Reinstalled the rest. Errors again.
Reformated memory card and factory reset again. Problems again.
Factory reset again. Installed basics.
Transfer 4 folders of photos from computer to memory card. Problems again.
Factory reset again.
Basic install not settings.
Working fine.
Re-install Apps and settings from Smart Switch BUT NOT PHOTOS.
All good so far 24 hours later.
In my case it seemed to be a problem with photos or the folders they were in when transferred to the phone [both internal memory and card].

You may be able to fix by deleting all photos via computer link after backing up, and doing the above fixes without factory reset..... I will never know.
Hope it helps.

Follow up. I experimented with different photos. All photos taken by my phone camera did not cause problems when transferred back and forward. Photos taken by a Galaxy Tab S2 and transferred to my phone cause problems as did a photo downloaded from the web. Photos taken with another Galaxy S5 did not appear to cause problems when transferred onto my S5.

And NO, there is no need for a factory reset.
But someone needs to fix the basic android programming?

Last edited:

pdsauer

Apr 20, 2019
Visit site

I have fought this problem for a year now and this is what I have found.

My Motorola Moto Z Force has the same problem, and also two other Motorola phones. Also same problem on several different SD cards.

So the basic problem does not originate in your phone, but rather your PC.

The problem lays with certain photos in your collection that have been corrected. As soon as you transfer those photos from your PC to your Cell phone, you will get "Android Media Has Stopped". Remove those photos and everything will be OK.

So this is what I did: Remove all the Photos from my phone to the PC.
Separate your photos into folders containing 15 or 20 photos. Add a folder at a time, checking if the problem has come back. If it does, delete that folder. 80% of my folders were OK, and that is the way I left it.