What will happen when I remove my Google account from an Android tablet?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I got my first tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2017), running Android 7.1.1). During initial set up, I connected my Google/Gmail account to the tablet. I have had my Google/Gmail account for years -- using it on a desktop computer -- but I've never had a mobile device before.

I've changed my mind, and I now want to remove my Google/Gmail account from the tablet. To do this, I am about to follow the manual's instructions for removing a Google account (specifically, Apps > Settings > Google > More Options > Remove Account).

Before I actually do this, I have two questions about what will happen:

(1) My Google account will be removed from the Android tablet, but my Gmail and Drive files will NOT be deleted from the cloud, correct? I will still be able to access my Gmail and Drive from the web using my desktop computer, as I have always done.

(2) Will my Gmail and Drive files on the tablet be deleted from the tablet's storage (but, again, NOT from the cloud)? I would hope that they would be deleted from the tablet's storage, since that is sort of the point of removing the account from the device. (When I connected my Google/Gmail account, I believe it automatically downloaded much, if not all, of my Gmail and Drive files to the tablet.)

Thanks so much for your help.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
No, removing the account from the device does not delete or close the account on the web.

It didn't really download your Drive contents, and it only cached a certain amount of data from your email account. One thing you could do would be to clear the cache and data for the Gmail and Drive apps BEFORE removing your account. This would clear that info.

A word of caution, you'll need SOME Google account signed in on the device if you plan on installing any app, it's needed for the Google Play Store. Also, some apps seem to have a grip on the account once they're installed - if you log in to the account for the purposes of installing an app, then install one of those apps you won't be able to remove the account.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty