Recommendation to backup Apps & Data

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am looking for an app, or even better, a Windows program, to backup my apps and Data.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and it came with Smart Switch. However, that does not backup app data.

I used Smart Switch to restore an app I accidentally deleted a while ago. It restored the app but none of the configuration/settings or app data was restored

Thanks

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Samsung has an app called Kies that may be of use. There are also 3rd-party apps (such as Helium) that can do what you want. Lastly - if the app developer is properly coding their app to utilize the backup capability in Google Drive, that can also be used.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Helium
------
I have used Helium in the past but it no longer works. Plus it has not been updated since 2016
Helium just displays a message like an error has occurred and a message sent to clockworkmod.

This occurs on any of the three android devices I have and has been occurring for over a year

Kies
----
As far as Kies, Samsung does not mention anything about it backing up data

Google
------
I have done a restore using this method and it does not restore data either. Maybe it only restores data from certain apps. But the few times I used it, data was never restored

Join Android Central
-------------------
I have joined. Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I still use Helium, and it still works, both on rooted devices and, using a PC, on unrooted devices.

Of course installing TWRP makes backing up all your apps and all their data a few minutes work (even if it takes the phone half an hour or more to finish).

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Google
------
I have done a restore using this method and it does not restore data either. Maybe it only restores data from certain apps. But the few times I used it, data was never restored

As I mentioned - the app developer needs to support the backup method

https://developers.google.com/drive/android/appfolder

If the app developer doesn't support this (just running the correct API level isn't enough, they need to do additional work to get it enabled) it won't be backed up.

I do see now that Kies no longer supports newer devices, it suggested using SmartSwitch when I plugged in my Tab S3.

tonyvr4

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
I still use Helium, and it still works, both on rooted devices and, using a PC, on unrooted devices.

Of course installing TWRP makes backing up all your apps and all their data a few minutes work (even if it takes the phone half an hour or more to finish).

Not sure why Helium does not work for any of my devices. I have not been able to backup to dropbox or from device-device for at least a year now. The app has not been updated and support from clockworkmod never replied in all that time