03-19-2019 10:04 AM
104 1234 ...
tools Reply
    I just switched to Verizon's messenger, which still supports custom text tones. I liked the android messenger better by every other measure, but for me the custom notification tones are a must-have feature.

T.
    Patholy likes this.
    04-06-2018 05:43 PM
    Please fix the new problem that was created with the Oreo update. The problem is the loss of the ability to assign individual message notifications.
    04-10-2018 07:23 PM
    Please fix the new problem that was created with the Oreo update. The problem is the loss of the ability to assign individual message notifications.
    Please understand that this site has no official affiliation with Google, Samsung or Android. This is not the place to make direct requests such as the one you have made.
    04-10-2018 07:37 PM
    Unfortunately, it seems that Google has removed the ability to assign contact-specific notification tones from Android 8.0 (Oreo), so it isn’t possible at the moment. Of course, it’s possible that they’ll add this feature back in at some point, but nobody here is able to predict when (or even if) that will happen.

One potential work-around exists, but it involves using Android Messages instead of the stock Samsung messaging app. Download Android Messages from the Google Play store, then open the app and start a conversation with someone. While in the conversation view, tap the menu button (three vertically-stacked dots in the upper right corner of the app), then tap “People & options.” This will present you with the option to assign a ringtone to this conversation. If you ever delete this conversation, however, you’ll have to go through this process again to re-assign your desired ringtone.

If you decide to use Messages as a work-around, you’ll also want to make it your default messaging app. On your Galaxy, open Settings -> Apps, then tap the three-dots menu in the upper right. Tap Default Apps -> Messaging app, and change the default to Android Messages.
    This is all true. Especially if you delete a conversation in Google Messenger, then the individual ring and notifications go away. One more thing to mention. If you have the Gear 3 Watch and you default to the Google Messenger on the phone, you will no longer get the text messages on the watch. So, I was forced to keep the stock Samsung messenger app for that reason. Also today, it seems that gif files can no longer be added to the stock messenger app.
    04-12-2018 05:44 AM
    I just switched to Textra last week only because I got Google Keyboard and it has Bitmoji option from the keyboard and I couldn't send a gif or Bitmoji through the keyboard on stock messages. I have used Handcent in the past and most recent Textra until I got my 7 edge and could do the tones for each contact and I liked when you used to have the circles at the top for favorites in the Samsung stock messages. Plus the stock matches your theme but anyways so last week I get Textra than I realize I can't get text on my watch making Textra the default I have the Gear S3 so i made stock my default again and figured I'll just use Textra when I want to send my dad a gif or Bitmoji through the google keyboard and now I got Oreo yesterday on my unlocked Note 8 and my friend Mary just texted me and I didn't hear it play Proud Mary LOL! So now Textra is back to being my default and i just won't see text on my watch having the specific tones is more important to me and I liked Textra and have used it before.
    Textra absolutely works on the Gear S3 watch.
    djrakowski likes this.
    04-12-2018 06:54 AM
    You want Samsung to fix it if they are the ones who broke it? Go here and send them a message. I did and they responded, saying if they get enough complaints they might bring it back.

https://t.co/BoCvDkfBlv
    04-12-2018 11:45 AM
    Isn't this a Contacts issue and not a messaging problem? I set my notifications for people in my contacts list. Not my messaging app.
    04-14-2018 04:11 PM
    Yes, the issue is the Contacts app for some phones.

The workaround with some messaging apps is to assign a notification sound to a thread with the desired contact.
    04-15-2018 01:52 AM
    No!! They need to quit following Apple!! This is what ruins it for a lot of people. They have it then take it. There should be no excuse for this on any device this day and age.
    On iPhone you can have personalized sms tones
    04-15-2018 03:54 AM
    The removal of personal notification tones has pissed me off as well!! In addition my "Smart lock" is not working properly. I do NOT like this Oreo update... They reeeeeaaaaally need to ADD THE INDIVIDUAL NOTIFICATION SOUNDS CAPABILITY BACK!!! PRONTO!!!
    04-16-2018 12:06 PM
    To anyone complaining that "they" need to restore the feature, unless you complain to "them", your voice will not be heard. I suggest contacting at the least your device manufacturer, if not Google also (we're not 100% certain on what level it was removed) and voice your complaint. Writing here is not a complaint to any party that can make this change.
    srvctec likes this.
    04-16-2018 12:15 PM
    Since it's removed in the Pixel, we can safely assume that it was removed from Oreo itself. I've sent a few communications to Google about this - at least give us the option. If someone doesn't want it they don't have to use it. (The same with having the USB choice sticking. We shouldn't have to choose MTP every time we plug a connector in.)
    04-21-2018 02:20 PM
    Just got off with Samsung Chat about this issue.
    He told me to bring it to Best Buy and they will fix it for you?? here is snippet of chat with Naresh j
    8:41 PM
    where do i send a complaint
    ?
    not about you.. about this downgrade
    You can take the phone to Best by store to get it fixed. I'll help you with the Feedback link.
    Where you can share your feedback.
    Here is the link: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/...munityFeedback
    8:42 PM
    best buy will fix the message issue?

Yes, they'll fix.

Is the above link accesible?
    8:43 PM
    8:43 PM
    yes
    8:44 PM
    best buy free??

Yes, they fix it for free.
    8:44 PM

Is there anything else that I can assist you with?
    8:45 PM
    Anone try this??
    04-26-2018 07:58 PM
    If I use Message+ (Verizon) am I understanding correctly that the update won't affect the custom tones?
    04-27-2018 11:32 AM
    It is not the messaging app that is the problem. It is the phone makers and/or Google via Android.

Google's phones and Samsung's phones are missing the feature for Android 8.
    LG kept the feature, at least for the V30 upgrade to 8.0.
    04-28-2018 07:26 PM
    I just found an app that brings tone-by-contact back - SMS Popup.
    djrakowski likes this.
    05-07-2018 05:35 PM
    Unfortunately, it seems that Google has removed the ability to assign contact-specific notification tones from Android 8.0 (Oreo), so it isn’t possible at the moment. Of course, it’s possible that they’ll add this feature back in at some point, but nobody here is able to predict when (or even if) that will happen.
    Where did you get this information, and was anyone curious enough to ask ****WHY*** did google remove that very basic function from 8.0?
    05-23-2018 05:11 AM
    Where did you get this information, and was anyone curious enough to ask ****WHY*** did google remove that very basic function from 8.0?
    I've read a number of reports of similar things happening on different phones from different OEMs, all of which had one thing in common - they'd recently been updated to (or released with) Oreo.

It doesn't bother me enough to ask Google, and even if it did, I don't know why they'd feel compelled to answer me.

So I (and a number of forum members) offered some explanation as well as some potential workarounds.
    05-23-2018 08:28 AM
    I've read a number of reports of similar things happening on different phones from different OEMs, all of which had one thing in common - they'd recently been updated to (or released with) Oreo.

It doesn't bother me enough to ask Google, and even if it did, I don't know why they'd feel compelled to answer me.

So I (and a number of forum members) offered some explanation as well as some potential workarounds.
    I would love to ask google. I would love to ask them a lot about this and other broken features in Oreo. Problem is they send you to individual manufacturer help sites that already won't answer to this. Is there a google contact that actually responds to questions?
    05-23-2018 03:06 PM
    This is the stupidest update...why would they remove the option to select ringtones. All of my main contacts had their blown so I knew who was messaging. This is ridiculous.
    05-24-2018 05:28 PM
    So, I downloaded Textra and going through that app, I can assign individual text notifications for each contact...BUT...when I try to text from my Textra app, I'm missing some contacts when I try to initiate a text convo. Also, I can't find a way to start FROM the app to send an attachment. I have to go to whatever I'm sharing and then hit "share" and then the textra icon...but then the person I want to sent it to isn't listed! And that person is in my contacts and has been for 18 years since he's my son. Haven't had a lot of luck finding textra help...they don't even have a troubleshooting menu. Help?
    05-25-2018 11:47 AM
    I updated my Galaxy S8 before traveling internationally last week, per the directions on the Sprint site. Previously, I had the field and ability to set individual text notifications per contact, so I would know from whom I was receiving texts. Now, that feature no longer exists, and it's extremely frustrating. Most people are talking about it missing on the S9, but I don't think it's an S9 issue; I think it's an Oreo update issue.

I sent a tweet and a direct message to Sprint and @SamsungSupport and this is what I received. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to add the screen shot to this thread:

"Hi, Jersey. Thanks for reaching out. I understand that this feature is important for you, however, this is one of the changes occurred after the updates. Nevertheless, we value your feedback regarding this feature, you may use this link to voice out your input: https://t.co/BoCvDkfBlv. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. ^Justine"

Not helpful, but I filled one out. Has anyone gotten confirmation that they will roll out a fix for this? If not, I'll be going to a third party text app. I'll miss the edge light, but the sound is much more helpful.
    Thanks for the link. I sent an email as well asking for this feature back.
    05-31-2018 07:32 PM
    I just sent an email in as well. I have relied on this option for years, going back to my use of Windows Phones (before I realized that was a waste of time and switched over). I have no interest in switching apps as Samsung's messaging app is the only one I truly liked interface/option-wise. It might be time to dig in the closet and break out the ol' pitchfork and torch.
    06-02-2018 10:53 AM
    I followed the link and emailed Samsung about wanting the individual text tones. Here is what I got back:

Thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support.

We understand the disappointment you have expressed about the missing of option to set individual message tones for contacts after recent software update. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience being caused with the individual text notification option becoming unavailable after the recent update. We realize the importance of this feature to you and feel handy features like this not to be removed as they allow the user to identify the sender without having to access the phone.

As per the model number (SM-G960UZKAVZW) you've shared, I see that you're referring to Galaxy S9 (Verizon).

Every smart phone comes with a certain operating system (OS). Samsung galaxy S9 features Android as the OS. Samsung is the manufacturer of the phone but OS (Android) is from Google. This operating system is also used by many other manufacturers like Samsung. The feature to assign custom notifications for text message for individual contacts is no longer available in Oreo version of Android itself. Therefore, any phone including Samsung with Android Oreo 8.0 version doesn’t have this feature. Individual contacts can no longer have unique Message notifications now. We're receiving lot of requests from our customers to add this feature in future update.

Samsung is constantly improving and updating our operating systems, and with every improvement there is always a chance an older feature may be changed or removed. We value your input about your favorite features on our devices. We will take this as a valuable feedback.

We are not sure if/when this option will be reverted on the phone due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.

We advise you to keep updating the software on your phone. Hopefully you might be getting all the features that you are expecting in the updates which will be released in the future.

If you have any other questions that needs to be addressed, now or in the future, we are always happy to help.

If you wish to chat, email or call us for further assistance, please go to the “Contact Us” option available on the right hand side of the E-mail.

Thank you for choosing Samsung products.
    srvctec likes this.
    06-10-2018 01:30 PM
    I have been referred to this thread from another one. My actual complaint and the downgrade I found in new Samsung phones is in per text notification tone in conversation panel.

I think this was a very handy feature to have while one is texting with a person to know when their next text is received instead of having eyes fixed on the screen and keep checking to see if the next text has arrived. And if the text is missed before the screen goes black, you can never know if you had it or not until you turn on the phone again and go to that conversation.

I have been looking for an app to fix this issue and add the feature to the default Samsung message rather than adding another SMS app that works on its own. I tried textra and Android message apps, but I found them working on their own and if you uninstall them you lose all your chat history, so I would like to find an app that just simply adds a per text notification tone to each text received while still in conversation panel.
    Epitome likes this.
    06-12-2018 12:24 PM
104 1234 ...