I have been referred to this thread from another one. My actual complaint and the downgrade I found in new Samsung phones is in per text notification tone in conversation panel.

I think this was a very handy feature to have while one is texting with a person to know when their next text is received instead of having eyes fixed on the screen and keep checking to see if the next text has arrived. And if the text is missed before the screen goes black, you can never know if you had it or not until you turn on the phone again and go to that conversation.

I have been looking for an app to fix this issue and add the feature to the default Samsung message rather than adding another SMS app that works on its own. I tried textra and Android message apps, but I found them working on their own and if you uninstall them you lose all your chat history, so I would like to find an app that just simply adds a per text notification tone to each text received while still in conversation panel.
    Epitome likes this.
    06-12-2018 12:24 PM
    I have been looking for an app to fix this issue and add the feature to the default Samsung message rather than adding another SMS app that works on its own.
    Without some skill, this will be difficult. You'll need to root your device, decompile the app, add the feature in and then replace it on the device (which is why you'll need to root the device).
    Sam_Gs7 likes this.
    06-12-2018 04:38 PM
    Not happy with the removal of the message tones! 😤 The specific tones tell me who's texting me without having to pick up my phone. Also not very comfortable with using a third party app for messages 😶
    I COMPLETELY AGREE. That was very useful option to have for the same reasons you stated. I find this new update was more cosmetic than anything, changing things around and having to dig and find them again but the removal of assigning a specific tone for text messages that told you who it was without having to look is inexcusable. You can still have assigned ringtones for incoming calls but the text tone is now just the one sound. Makes no damn sense.
    I also noticed that now when watching youtube my phone is now constantly buffering.
    W_A_Watson_II and Epitome like this.
    06-13-2018 04:48 AM
    My S7 just upgraded to echo this morning and I have spent most of the day messing with my phone... I AM able to assign contact specific ringtones to my contacts it's few extra steps .. contacts edit ringtone add then it ask's about where they are getting the tone I just guessed sound picker and it made me pick the tone again from a list but it seems to work as it should idk if this will help you with S8's maybe
    06-15-2018 06:58 PM
    @KatGV, that's the ringtone for phone calls. This discussion is regarding text notifications.
    06-15-2018 07:53 PM
    Without some skill, this will be difficult. You'll need to root your device, decompile the app, add the feature in and then replace it on the device (which is why you'll need to root the device).
    I agree with..Hallux here : This sound like -android question-
    if exist or not an app like that..PS come forward 'n stay Tuned!
    06-15-2018 08:39 PM
    Read and rejoice.

https://www.androidauthority.com/sam...m_medium=gplus
    Sam_Gs7 likes this.
    06-16-2018 11:27 AM
    I just got the new Samsung 9+, and I am BEYOND FURIOUS with this ridiculous update! I can no longer have an individual notification sound for my text messages, and and two separate email accounts(one for work, the other personal). It's just ONE notification for ALL of my apps, so when I get a new text, or email, I have to click on each app to find out what I received. (I also no longer have any number saying I have 2 texts, 3 emails, etc.) I called Samsung, and the woman told me it wasn't Samsung, it was all Android phones! WHAT THE HECK??? WHY in the world would Android DO THIS??? I have Textra...and I can change the appearance of my texts, but NOT the notification tone!

I TRULY hope Android READS all of these complaints from their users!! GIVE US OUR PERSONALIZATION OPTIONS BACK!!!
    06-22-2018 01:25 PM
    @Marilyn126, did you happen to read the post linked by another member right above yours? Samsung has provided a solution to this complaint in its messaging app.

As for email, this may be a Samsung thing if you're using the Samsung email client. I'm using a Pixel 2 XL with 5 email accounts and have 3 different notification sounds (I could have 5 though).
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-22-2018 04:40 PM
    I too have the same issue and it's very annoying because it helped me know which text messages are most important to make time and answer when received at work. I have gotten SPAM messages and opened them only to find I could have avoided them until I got time to delete/block them and move on.

I also had my family members assigned separate tones as well. I do not like this change and have downloaded the Android App mentioned here. I hope my post helps whatever company did this and they realize they have another unsatisfied customer in their service and they correct this. I will be definitely getting away from using their app or apps and use others that serve my needs.

I also do not like the fact they moved the smiley, microphone, paste, cog wheel etc... over all the keys instead of below like before as the keys were so much more convenient and hope they change this back as well. Bottom line I loved the old keyboard but that's another post elsewhere.
    djfnklf likes this.
    06-24-2018 11:24 AM
    I just got the new Samsung 9+, and I am BEYOND FURIOUS with this ridiculous update! I can no longer have an individual notification sound for my text messages, and and two separate email accounts(one for work, the other personal). It's just ONE notification for ALL of my apps, so when I get a new text, or email, I have to click on each app to find out what I received. (I also no longer have any number saying I have 2 texts, 3 emails, etc.)
    I'm curious, cause I haven't installed Oreo yet, but do you have your email accts in one folder on your home screen?
    djfnklf likes this.
    06-24-2018 12:11 PM
    I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, I found the answer. If you go to a contact and select the 3 dots in the right upper corner, go to customize, and then notification "Sound" will be right there.
    06-27-2018 12:57 AM
    I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 8, I found the answer. If you go to a contact and select the 3 dots in the right upper corner, go to customize, and then notification "Sound" will be right there.
    There is no "Customize" option on my Samsung S9+. There is "Delete", "Link Contacts", "Block contact", and "Delete calls from history."
    djfnklf likes this.
    06-29-2018 03:14 AM
    I have been extremely upset over this. It doesn't make any sense. I do not like this new update. I have the Galaxy S7.
    06-29-2018 08:37 PM
    Why should you have to download another app to get what we had before
    06-29-2018 08:40 PM
    Why should we have to download the app. The Sammobile wants me to sign up etc. I should not have too
    06-29-2018 08:51 PM
    @djfnklf if you simply update the Samsung messages app through the Galaxy app market you should have the capability returned in form of per-thread sound settings. It's not a new app, it's simply an update to one on your device.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    06-30-2018 07:41 AM
    This is great, but Samsung said that the latest update is actually 5.0.21.18

Does this mean that 5.0.21.18 should be replaced with 4.xxx version?
    07-03-2018 01:27 PM
    This is great, but Samsung said that the latest update is actually 5.0.21.18

Does this mean that 5.0.21.18 should be replaced with 4.xxx version?
    Latest update for what? The version referenced is for the messaging app itself.
    07-03-2018 02:04 PM
    Latest update for what? The version referenced is for the messaging app itself.
    Correct - this is for the Messaging app and has to do with the ability to assign a 'unique' Notification tone for specific Contacts. For instance, I give more importance to a message from my wife, so in prior versions [like my S7 which I am tempted to go back to] I could assign a specific Notification tone to her Contact information.
    07-03-2018 06:04 PM
    @Epitome so, your messaging app shows a newer version than Samsung says is the latest? Can you post a screenshot of the app info showing the version number?
    07-03-2018 06:40 PM
    Correct - this is for the Messaging app and has to do with the ability to assign a 'unique' Notification tone for specific Contacts. For instance, I give more importance to a message from my wife, so in prior versions [like my S7 which I am tempted to go back to] I could assign a specific Notification tone to her Contact information.
    I'm still using a GS7 on Nougat, and the message tone assigned in Android Messages, overrides the message tone I have assigned to my wife in the Contacts app.
    07-04-2018 09:41 AM
    New here, been reading this thread as I just did the update and discovered this very frustration issue. Saw this fix as stated above but when I go to my Galaxy apps I can't seem to find the message update?

What should I search for?
    07-12-2018 12:07 AM
    New here, been reading this thread as I just did the update and discovered this very frustration issue. Saw this fix as stated above but when I go to my Galaxy apps I can't seem to find the message update?

What should I search for?
    Version 5.0.21.18 should already be installed. What version do you have?

The process for setting an individualised notification sound (not really a ringtone) is fairly convoluted. So in case you do have that version installed I'll explain the process I went through to set an individualised sound.

I select the Messages app, then select the *Conversations* tab, then I *tap* the entry for my mate "Chasse". Tap the 3 dots on the top right-hand corner. Under "Conversation Settings" appears the sub-heading "Notifications". By default it is set to "Default". Tap on it, and select "Custom", then tap on the settings cog to the right which takes me to the "APP NOTIFICATIONS" page where I can set the notification sound. Samsung provides a truly dull selection of notification sounds, so I put my own ringtone mp4 file in the Notifications folder. That audio file will get appended to the list of notification sounds.

Actually, all I cared about was individualised ringtones for voice calls. Samsung gutted its Contacts app, so I purchased Drupe to fulfil that function.
    07-13-2018 06:14 AM
    Version 5.0.21.18 should already be installed. What version do you have?

The process for setting an individualised notification sound (not really a ringtone) is fairly convoluted. So in case you do have that version installed I'll explain the process I went through to set an individualised sound.

I select the Messages app, then select the *Conversations* tab, then I *tap* the entry for my mate "Chasse". Tap the 3 dots on the top right-hand corner. Under "Conversation Settings" appears the sub-heading "Notifications". By default it is set to "Default". Tap on it, and select "Custom", then tap on the settings cog to the right which takes me to the "APP NOTIFICATIONS" page where I can set the notification sound. Samsung provides a truly dull selection of notification sounds, so I put my own ringtone mp4 file in the Notifications folder. That audio file will get appended to the list of notification sounds.

Actually, all I cared about was individualised ringtones for voice calls. Samsung gutted its Contacts app, so I purchased Drupe to fulfil that function.
    I do know how to set individualized ringtones, and I did know how to set individualized notification sounds, but with the new oreo update, the individualized notification tones option is gone. In my previous post, I quoted someone with a fix for it. I was looking for clarification on that fix. It said that to fix the issue, go to the galaxy apps and download the latest version of messages. I can't seem to do that.
    07-13-2018 08:43 AM
91 1234