Fingerprint scanner seems to be causing the phone to shut down in sleep mode. Turned off there's no problem. Also having a lot of issues with random letters when typing. Any ideas?
    04-05-2018 05:01 AM
    Why do you think it’s the FPS doing it?
    04-05-2018 06:33 AM
    When I turn on the finger print scanner it powers off in sleep mode. When I turn off the scanner I have no issues
    04-05-2018 09:30 AM
    Okay. Welcome as a new member.

Does this persist in Safe Mode?
    04-05-2018 10:15 AM
    Not sure what safe mode is.
    04-05-2018 11:51 AM
    I've done a factory reset which is how I figured out what caused it
    04-05-2018 11:54 AM
    I had the same issue and endend up calling samsung, since my s9+ has a valid manufacturer warranty they replace the sensor and service the phone for free.
    04-10-2018 03:17 PM
    I have the exact problem. Received 2 replacement devices but still have the same problem
    04-26-2018 07:14 AM
    Same exact issue started this morning. with fingerprint unlock enabled, the phone immediately crashes, or does the black screen of death once the phone goes to sleep.
    05-15-2018 11:58 PM
    Anyone have any updates yet? Just sent my phone into Samsung for this situation. They replaced the PBA, and it is still having this issue.
    05-23-2018 01:30 PM
    S9+ reporting in. Have done everything but factory reset the phone. Can confirm phone no longer turns off during sleep when fingerprint auth for lockscreen is disabled. Scanner still works for apps like Bank of America. Also, noted that auth with fingerprint still works for lockscreen if phone isn't asleep, ex Spotify playing. Only true sleep kills phone with fingerprint auth.

After tshooting with Samsung support, they recommended taking phone to Best Buy for diagnosis.

This all happened after two brief video recordings in a pool, submerging in water less than 1 foot deep, days apart. Rest of phone is completely unphased. Looks like the water protection rating applies to everything but the fingerprint scanner. Sigh.
    Daskizimz likes this.
    07-09-2018 11:56 AM
    Wanted to report back in. It's four days later.

I went to Best Buy, my local best buy didn't have a Samsung phone guy, only a Samsung TV guy. Rather than drive to the store that could diagnose it, I instead tried start the RMA process with Samsung via chat. The chat representative essentially informed me that I would be potentially weeks out of a phone, as they don't provide loaner phones at all.

After getting on the line with their support team again, I was directed to a local repair shop that would honor the manufacturer's warranty. I visited said store, and they informed me it was first come first serve service, prioritizing fixes over diagnoses, and could take 24-48 hours. As I could not be out of a phone this weekend, I had to wait.

Meanwhile, I tried calling my local Verizon store to see if they could provide a faster means of support, but since I purchased my phone from Amazon, they turned me down and said I'd have to see if Amazon could offer anything.

I contacted Amazon as a shot in the dark, but as I anticipated, it wasn't on them to have to replace the phone.

Defeated, as I sat at home to wait for the weekend to started the service process with the local cell repair shop, I tried re-enabling the fingerprint scanner for the lock-screen. While it did fail earlier in the day, it has now been about 6 hours this evening that the phone has not shut off on its own.

It may have just been a matter of time for moisture to leave perhaps the fingerprint scanner area to prevent a shutdown during phone sleep.

If anyone else encounters this, I may have been able to expedite the internal drying process by using a bag of rice for water extraction.

Hope this helps anyone in the future, and I hope I haven't spoken too soon.
    Definitely going to be more cautious about the IP68 rating... and unfortunately just assume it is NOT up to spec.
    07-12-2018 10:01 PM
    My phone just started doing this about 3 weeks ago. I sent it in to Samsung after doing everything they told me to do online. I reset the phone twice and still same issue. No issue without the fingerprint scanner for lock screen turned on. My phone then started doing a power cycle. It would turn on but would only stay on as long as I kept touching it. I had just got this phone June 7th 2018. I sent my phone in about 2 weeks ago and got it back Friday. Was so excited to get my phone back......but....PROBLEM STILL EXISTS!

Only problem they fixed was the power cycle. But as long as I have the fingerprint scanner turned on it will shut down or freeze up idk which it does but will not come back on without me holding the power button down.

I called Samsung and they told me once again to send it back in. I havent gotten a chance to do so this weekend so I will do it hopefully in a few days when I can get a break to run to the shipping center.

I have Sprint and am having to pay $95 a month for not just a broken phone I can't use at all(s8) but I'm having to pay for yet another phone(s9) that doesn't work like it's supposed to! Brand new phone! It's so angering to have to pay for a phone I can't use and one that doesn't work right.

I've told Samsung that if I send it in this time and it's not fixed what is the next step and she said that a replacement may be an option but it has to go higher up to be approved.

My phone has not been damaged at all. Not been dropped, wet, scratched, or anything! It's perfect other than the power cycle with the fingerprint scanner!
    Daskizimz likes this.
    07-22-2018 10:40 PM
    Wanted to report back in. It's four days later.

I went to Best Buy, my local best buy didn't have a Samsung phone guy, only a Samsung TV guy. Rather than drive to the store that could diagnose it, I instead tried start the RMA process with Samsung via chat. The chat representative essentially informed me that I would be potentially weeks out of a phone, as they don't provide loaner phones at all.

After getting on the line with their support team again, I was directed to a local repair shop that would honor the manufacturer's warranty. I visited said store, and they informed me it was first come first serve service, prioritizing fixes over diagnoses, and could take 24-48 hours. As I could not be out of a phone this weekend, I had to wait.

Meanwhile, I tried calling my local Verizon store to see if they could provide a faster means of support, but since I purchased my phone from Amazon, they turned me down and said I'd have to see if Amazon could offer anything.

I contacted Amazon as a shot in the dark, but as I anticipated, it wasn't on them to have to replace the phone.

Defeated, as I sat at home to wait for the weekend to started the service process with the local cell repair shop, I tried re-enabling the fingerprint scanner for the lock-screen. While it did fail earlier in the day, it has now been about 6 hours this evening that the phone has not shut off on its own.

It may have just been a matter of time for moisture to leave perhaps the fingerprint scanner area to prevent a shutdown during phone sleep.

If anyone else encounters this, I may have been able to expedite the internal drying process by using a bag of rice for water extraction.

Hope this helps anyone in the future, and I hope I haven't spoken too soon.
    Definitely going to be more cautious about the IP68 rating... and unfortunately just assume it is NOT up to spec.
    Thank you very much!!! Yesterday I got some moisture in the sensor and it refused to even sense my fingerprint. After putting the phone in a bag of rice over night the sensor is now working. I think there is some space where the moisture (and only the moisture) may get in the sensor. I don't think that it could damage any internal components from the sensor but it will make harder for it to "see" your finger and then the fingerprint. I didn't have any reboots or things like that but I couldn't use my fingerprint scanner Don't submerge your phone in warm water. The water vapours will get in the fingerprint scanner.
    07-23-2018 03:39 AM
    Wow, I thought I was the only one.
    After a factory reset, I noticed that the phone never shut off again. I started adding apps back one after another and also changing settings at intervals. Narrowed it down to the fingerprint scanner. I already called Samsung to schedule a repair, but seeing as everyone is still having the issue after replacements, i'll just keep it and leave the scanner off. Leasing the phone through Sprint as well and yes, it sucks not having the full functionality of a device you're paying an arm and leg for, but I don't feel like fighting with Samsung AGAIN.

Yes AGAIN, my wife's Note8 got a splash of water on it from a water bottle and would not power up (would vibrate every 10 sec with a black screen). Sent it in to Samsung and they sent it back saying its un repairable due to water damage. So much for the water resistance they claim and it wasn't even submerged.

I would even go into the run around they gave us with our ice maker on out Samsung refrigerator. They said the parts were no longer available on a 5 year old refrigerator
    08-17-2018 10:04 PM