Help with Google voice to text on Note 5

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have been using Slide-It keyboard because I like using voice to text because I'm dyslexic and it's easier for me. But it's been giving me issues for several months.

I recently found out that the default Samsung keyboard can do voice to text. But I can't figure out how to use that feature.

I don't have a microphone icon!

Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Samsung updates are up to date.

Android Version 7.0

Android security patch March 1, 2018.

I use Touchwiz home, whatever that is.

I went to SETTINGS - GENERAL MANAGEMENT - LANGUAGE AND INPUT - TEXT TO SPEECH

And checked "Google text to speech."

Still no microphone icon.

I searched Google and found an old thread in this forum that says:

"setting: more: application manager: scroll to the right to you see at the top "TURNED OFF" look for "google search" its a blue box with a G in the middle of it.. turn it on and you will have the microphone back on...."

But I don't have anything called APPLICATION MANAGER.

When I go into settings I see APPS where I can turn permissions on/off. There is nothing that says Google Search.

I went to the Play Store but there is nothing called GOOGLE SEARCH.

I have been struggling with this for over 4 hours and am beyond frustrated.

Please help me get voice to text working.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I use Touchwiz home, whatever that is.
That's your launcher - the homescreens and the app drawer. Nothing to do with voice to text.

I went to SETTINGS - GENERAL MANAGEMENT - LANGUAGE AND INPUT - TEXT TO SPEECH

And checked "Google text to speech."

Still no microphone icon.
Try a few other keyboards - I prefer the SwiftKey Keyboard - and it has a mic.

I searched Google and found an old thread in this forum that says:

"setting: more: application manager: scroll to the right to you see at the top "TURNED OFF" look for "google search" its a blue box with a G in the middle of it.. turn it on and you will have the microphone back on...."
That's a VERY old thread - it doesn't work that way any more.

When I go into settings I see APPS where I can turn permissions on/off. There is nothing that says Google Search.
Not any more.

Just try other keyboards. As I said, Swiftkey has a mic key. But the text to speech is the same one, no matter which keyboard you use. (Check in Settings - maybe in Languages and Keyboards. (In Settings there should be a search bar at the top. Search for keyboard.) You may be able to turn Voice to Text on as the default input. Then when you tap a text box that will normally bring up the keyboard, it just brings Voice to Text up - no keyboard needed.

Also, look in Google Play for other voice to text apps. The default isn't the only one

Acadia_ca

Jul 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! I just downloaded SwiftKey.

So far so good!

I'm a very articulate speaker but Slide-It couldn't understand me half the time. The keyboard constantly stopped working. The text from the UK keyboard/voice text, came out in a completely foreign language, like Russian text.

Hopefully SwiftKey will be the answer. Thanks again!

PS: it's interesting that Samsung's default keyboard can't do voice to text.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty