So for users on Fi that have been using hangouts as your messaging app, and really loved having the ability to send and receive SMS from inside Chrome, what are you going to do? Are you just going to run it until it just disappears one day? It doesn't look like the the new business suite stuff is meant for personal users. For a while I was getting the notification banners when using the app that support was discontinued and to choose another SMS app. But now they have disappeared.
    05-06-2018 09:49 AM
    I'm still using it, and I believe Google has said it will still work for Fi users because of the integration features. I still use it to chat with family, but we also have a G-Suite setup for our family domain (for email) so I guess it will still work for us on those accounts regardless.
    D Peterson1 likes this.
    05-06-2018 09:53 AM
    I'm still using it, and I believe Google has said it will still work for Fi users because of the integration features. I still use it to chat with family, but we also have a G-Suite setup for our family domain (for email) so I guess it will still work for us on those accounts regardless.
    So Google has no plans you know of to allow the same integration for general public use at the moment?
    05-06-2018 10:03 AM
    So Google has no plans you know of to allow the same integration for general public use at the moment?
    Which integration is that?

With Fi, the Hangouts integration works because of the way Fi works. I don't see it happening (again) in the future. Hangouts used to allow you to use it as your texting app but that was removed a couple years ago.
    D Peterson1 likes this.
    05-06-2018 11:40 AM
    Which integration is that?

With Fi, the Hangouts integration works because of the way Fi works. I don't see it happening (again) in the future. Hangouts used to allow you to use it as your texting app but that was removed a couple years ago.
    I continue to use the texting function on Hangouts on my phone/computer right now, via Fi as you stated. I am speaking of the ability to receive calls and texts on my desktop/laptop and on my phone via the same application. It really is a huge perk for me. I can't believe there isn't another google application that can do the same thing.
    05-06-2018 01:10 PM
    The problem is that we're in transition right now, from SMS to RCS. Once all the carriers convert to RCS, we'll probably see a lot of Windows, OSX and Linux apps for it. It's just going to take a while.

(But I still have Hangouts installed in Firefox [even though I don't use it].)
    D Peterson1 likes this.
    05-06-2018 02:55 PM