Error "wireless device is turned off" when trying to call someone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Le S3 Lex636 has started saying "wireless device is turned off" when I try to make a call. (Note, I'm not using WiFi here, just making a phone call!) It has also stopped relieving calls. I can, however successfully send/receive calls using Whatsapp.

Don't know whats going on.. Ideas anyone??

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure you don't have airplane mode turned on. Make sure you have a SIM card in the phone. (I've seen "friends" steal SIM cards to save money.) If everything looks good, turn the phone off, remove the SIM card (notice which way the cut corner goes - if you're not sure you'll remember, make a little sketch of it - you just have to know which corner the notch is at, and whether the card is facing up or down.) Wipe the contacts with a clean cloth, from the card out. Just a few wipes, so you wipe all the contacts. Put it back in and try it. If it still doesn't work, bring the phone to your carrier and ask for help. (The SIM could be bad, your account could have gotten messed up or the phone could have failed. If it's one of the first two, the carrier has to fix it - either replace the SIM or reset your account.)

billt4g

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Fixed the problem!!

First I removed the SIM card (which was in slot 2) powered off and on. Funny the phone still thought my Lyca Sim was still in, and the same "wireless device is turned off" would show if I tried a call!! (Remember there is now no SIM card at all) Next I powered off again, this time with a different (O2) SIM in slot 2. Behold, all is working properly again. Still don't understand what was happening, but somehow changing SIM's reset something.