Why does Android 8.0 (Oreo) take up so much storage space?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Since the Windows 10 Phone is no longer, for my new phone I just got a brand new Nokia 6.1 (6 2018) Android phone. The phone has AndroidOne with Android 8.0 (Oreo) installed. I have so far installed only the waiting updates and two applications taking 510Mb between them. The phone is already taking up 12Gb for System and 2.6Gb for Applications! Applications include a lot of pre-installed apps, but why is the Android system taking up an HUGE 12GB?

By comparison (and I don't intend to start a Win vs Android debate) on my old phone, I have only used 8Gb, and that includes some games, texts photos. System takes 3.34Gb. I understand that Android should take maybe 5Gb, but 12Gb seems excessive. As I said, this is a brand new phone which I have only just begun setting up.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! It's because the phone supports seamless updates (i.e., the ability to continue using the phone while the system is updating in the background). In order to do this, the system creates a duplicate partition. So the system partition is 6 GB, but since it's duplicated, it takes up 12 GB. See the explanation in this thread: https://community.phones.nokia.com/support/discussions/topics/7000022564