Oreo 8.1 Huawei p20 phone. The solutions posted do not work for me. There is no menu button when editing the contact and long press on the number only allows cut, paste etc.
    11-09-2018 11:05 AM
    A "default phone number" for incoming calls is pretty meaningless.

A "default phone number" for outgoing calls is the number your caller ID shows when you make calls. You don't get to change that.

There's no "default phone number". "Default" means "the app that's used to show|edit|connect to" by default.

As for "the solutions posted", since you haven't created an account here, you started a new thread with this post, so we have no idea what you're talking about. Create an account, then post your question in the thread you're talking about and someone will have some idea what you're talking about.

If you're asking about a contact with more than one number, and you want one number to be used all the time, delete the other numbers, If there were a way to select which of them is the default, you couldn't use the others anyway. If you just want to have them with the contact, use a different field to save them in.
    11-09-2018 12:04 PM
    There indeed is a default phone number within a contact, at least on Huawei EMUI phones.
    However, you can not change the default when you are editing the contact.
    On my P20 Pro with EMUI 9, this is how to change the default.

To change the default number, you have to open phone dialer, find the contact in the call log, touch the "i" symbol in a circle on the right, then select "Details" tab, and now you can see all the numbers assigned to that contact. Here you can long-touch the desired number, and a menu pops out with "Set default" entry.
    03-06-2019 03:05 AM
    I've seen more than once on here where somebody asks the same question did I have to ask. And that is how can I set all my contacts to default to mobile phone. Then someone comes on and respond how to make the mobile number your default number in an individual contacts file. We already know that you can hold your finger momentarily on mobile phone and choose that as a default. We want to know how can you make the mobile phone the default number across the board on all 2000 of the contacts in my phone. When I get ready to send a text many times it'll bring up their home phone. Well that's not worth a flip. It doesn't tell me that it's their home. And if I send the text of that number they never receive it. And I have no way of knowing that I sent their text to their home phone instead of their mobile. It needs to at least tell me what the number is or allow me to sit mobile as my default across the board.
    05-28-2019 02:58 PM