Deleting contacts get re-synced from Google Account. Contacts cannot be found in Google Contacts

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I deleted a bunch old contacts from my phone (Galaxy s6) only for them to get synced back immediately. I confirmed that Google Contacts are synced currently. Disabling Google Contacts keeps the contacts I delete, deleted.

I want to keep Google Contacts synced. I logged into my Google account on my computer and only see 3 contacts, and none of the 34 I had deleted from my phone. I realize the reason for only seeing 3 instead of the rest of my list would be to them being saved to my SIM and not Google Account.

Where do I find these Google Contacts to permanently delete them so that I can keep Google Contacts syncing while removing the ones I want deleted.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! First, I assume you've double-checked to make sure you're logging into the same Google account on the phone and on the web, and that you don't have multiple Google accounts, correct?

Second, are you certain those contacts were saved to your Google account? Could they have been saved to your Samsung account instead?

JHartTF

Dec 7, 2018
Visit site
Hi B.Diddy,
I am the original poster but didn't get my account created first.

I confirmed that is my Google Contacts creating the problem. Confirmed by turning off the contacts sync, and the deleted contacts do not come back. If I then renable the Google Contacts sync, the deleted contacts DO come back.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, and you don't have multiple Google accounts, correct?

Try going to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and select Contact Storage. Assuming that you don't have any contacts saved to the local Phone account, try clearing the cache/data of that app, and then let it resync. Do the old contacts come back again?

JHartTF

Dec 7, 2018
Visit site
Correct, just one Google Account.

I found the Contacts under the System Apps as you explained. There was 4.00KB of cache data that I cleared. I then went back and turned on Google Contacts sync and the deleted contacts did NOT come back. It appears the contacts were being imported from the cache data.

Thank you for your help today! I have been sitting on this problem for a long time and finally looked for some help. :) Have a good day

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer