I'm no longer able to sync my phone contacts with Google. I'm also unable to save new contacts to Google. All my contacts are stored in Google Contacts. My phone currently only has the Whatsapp contacts in my contact list.

1. My phone is not rooted.
    2. I've tried removing and re-adding my Google account to my phone.
    3. I did not have the "Google Contacts Sync" app so I downloaded the APK for V8.1.
    4. I'm running Android version 8.0.0

Why am I unable to sync my contacts? And more important; how can I fix this?
    12-20-2018 04:08 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! Which phone? Did the phone come with Google Play Services and all other Google apps preinstalled, or did you have to install them manually?
    12-20-2018 01:57 PM
    It is the Honor 9. As far as i can remember it came pre-installed with Google Play and the other Google Apps. I'm unable to remove them, I can only disable them (which I haven't done).
    12-20-2018 02:15 PM
    Have you updated the Google apps recently? If anything changed, the phone would need the new version of the app.
    12-20-2018 03:32 PM
    Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and make sure you don't have two copies of Google Contacts Sync now. If you weren't showing the system apps before, then you might not have realized that you do have that app.
    12-20-2018 05:11 PM
    Have you updated the Google apps recently? If anything changed, the phone would need the new version of the app.
    All my apps update automatically through Google Play. There are no updates available in Google Play

Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, and make sure you don't have two copies of Google Contacts Sync now. If you weren't showing the system apps before, then you might not have realized that you do have that app.
    I've 1 installation of the "Google-Contact Sync" app.

The only thing which (as far as I know) changed is the EMUI version (custom shell from Huawei). I did a system update to 8.0.0 some time ago. I'm not sure if this started the no-syncing problem.
    12-21-2018 08:11 AM
    This probably won't help, but it won't hurt either -- try wiping the cache partition: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/h...recovery-mode/
    12-21-2018 04:11 PM
    This probably won't help, but it won't hurt either -- try wiping the cache partition: https://www.hardreset.info/devices/h...recovery-mode/

I've cleared the cache and this indeed didn't fix the issue.
    12-25-2018 10:27 AM
    I recall this kind of thing happening with my old 2013 Nexus 7 (which required a factory reset to correct the problem), but I figured it was some issue with Marshmallow that would have been fixed by now. (I'm presuming your phone is on Oreo.)
    12-26-2018 06:39 AM
    I've fixed the issue by disabling the permission for the "Google Play Services" to use the contacts and re-enabling it. Contacts showed up in the sync overview and started syncing again.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    12-27-2018 01:29 PM
    Ooh, that's a good idea! I'll have to remember it the next time I see the issue come up, thanks!
    12-27-2018 05:09 PM