Hello,

Disclosure ... I know nothing about android ... never even had a smart phone.

Time for a new TV. I am running a dumb TV with a Roku box right now. Samsung and LG support only their own apps.

I found a Hisense (H9 Plus) that is an android TV.

This appealed to me because I figured I would not be limited to apps specific to a brand of TV.

My understanding is that it will run android TV apps. There seems not to be very many to choose from.

I watched a few youtube videos and they talk about a side launcher app that lets you run any android app on a TV.

So, first question ... is this true?

Second, which launcher is best? I started looking at them. Some say none work, some say google killed them, some say best ever but have not been updated for 4 years.

Thanks ... Mike
    02-03-2019 12:09 AM
    Hi where are you ? im in uk and find the Netflix app built in works perfectly but youtube is a bit flaky, bbc iplayer is good but i find with tv stuff using a chrome cast and casting from my phone gets better results.
    02-03-2019 12:57 AM
    I am in the USA ... Vermont to be exact, just about an hour from the Canadian boarder.

I don't have a smart phone, a tablet or even a lap top computer ... just a desk top.

For this reason, casting is out.

So, the question comes to is a tv with propitiatory apps (apps like the Samsung or LG) better or is it better to go ith the Hisense Android TV?

Also, can only TV apps be loaded or can I load all app by using one of these "launchers"?

Thanks again .... Mike
    02-03-2019 09:39 AM