While changing the Screen Unlock PIN in my android device, it got locked with some random pin(probably). My NEW pin nor OLD one is working. No google backup. ADM not working. Frustrated with NO from everywhere to unlock the same without losing data. If I can prove, I am the owner of the device, why its not allowed to recover my data. Whether its a Android bug or a Forgot PIN.ITS A BUG IN ANDROID AND I CAN PROVE IT. FOR THE SAME, SOME PATCHSET HAS BEEN RELEASED ALREADY, I GUESS
    02-05-2019 02:43 AM
    While changing the Screen Unlock PIN in my android device, it got locked with some random pin(probably). My NEW pin nor OLD one is working. No google backup. ADM not working. Frustrated with NO from everywhere to unlock the same without losing data. If I can prove, I am the owner of the device, why its not allowed to recover my data. Whether its a Android bug or a Forgot PIN.ITS A BUG IN ANDROID AND I CAN PROVE IT. FOR THE SAME, SOME PATCHSET HAS BEEN RELEASED ALREADY, I GUESS
    Try this, first enter an incorrect pattern or PIN five times at the lock screen. You'll see a “Forgotpattern,” “forgot PIN,” or “forgotpassword” button appear. Tap it. You'll be prompted to enter the username and password of the Google account associated with your Android device.
    02-05-2019 04:55 AM
    Tried that. Its not working since this method is applicable only for Android versions below 4.0 or 5.0 .Curious to know why Android has removed this option in the later versions.
    02-05-2019 04:57 AM
    What is the phone and OS version then? You haven't told us. We can only guess at possible fixes without such basic info; hence @methodman89's suggestion above.
    02-05-2019 05:39 AM
    Phone model : Xiaomi Redmi Note-4
    Android version: Nougat 7.0

I have been running mad, searching for possible solutions and kind of lost giving same information to multiple sources. The data inside are so critical...hence

Have tried the below and not working:
    1) Android device manager- Since lock is set already, not allowing to set new PIN
    2) MI service center- They are helpless and suggested Factory reset as option
    3) Google drive: Backup was not enabled in my device
    02-06-2019 12:45 AM
    Most of your data should be in the cloud and restored when you set up your phone after a factory reset. Probably not a bug or more people would be reporting this. More likely you accidentally enter the wrong PIN. Factory reset, restore your account and data, and move on.
    02-07-2019 02:10 AM
    Duplicate threads merged
    ChromeJob likes this.
    02-07-2019 11:25 AM
    Is this the right forum to raise Android issues. Is there any customer care contact details. Senior Ambassador means, someone responsible from Android Team?

Please help me out
    02-08-2019 12:34 AM
    This is an independent community forum, without any direct affiliation with Google or any other company. The Ambassadors are unpaid volunteers who all have an interest in Android and tech in general, and like helping people. Unfortunately, I can't suggest anyone official for you to contact, since you said you already tried Xiaomi's customer service. There is no way around a forgotten or unknown password -- otherwise, it'd be a useless security measure.
    02-08-2019 02:25 AM
    Thanks for the reply, as you rightly said its a useful security measure in case our phone is lost and is in wrong hands. But what if the phone is with me and i am the actual owner of the phone and can substantiate it with Invoice details. Is it not my right to access and possess my data.

Imagine a situation where your whole money lying in a Bank account is Blocked/lost , since you forgot your INET Password . Isn't it illogical.
    02-08-2019 02:39 AM
    That's why you should always back up your sync your important data on a regular basis. I understand your reasoning, and some phone manufacturers do have a kind of backdoor (like Samsung, which has a way of remotely changing a password using Find My Mobile, as long as the user set it up correctly beforehand). But most other phone manufacturers don't do this. Sorry, I wish I could help you further. You might want to check the forums at XDA-Developers.com to see if any of the wizards there know of a solution.
    02-08-2019 03:03 AM
    Thanks for the reply, as you rightly said its a useful security measure in case our phone is lost and is in wrong hands. But what if the phone is with me and i am the actual owner of the phone and can substantiate it with Invoice details. Is it not my right to access and possess my data.

Imagine a situation where your whole money lying in a Bank account is Blocked/lost , since you forgot your INET Password . Isn't it illogical.
    You are responsible for remembering your own passwords, and backing up critical information. It’s not up to the Android OS or your phone’s manufacturer to do this for you.

Apple and iCloud have some methods of recovering information, as well as Android if you use them. Apparently you haven’t so you’ve shot yourself in teh foot. Very painful, expensive lesson, but hopefully one you’ve learned from.
    02-08-2019 03:11 AM
    What i meant is , there should be some mechanism to reset the password, if someone forgets it. How many of us including you remember each and every password you have set. I know at least a million who don't..

Backing up data: Yes its a happy happy situation ...For your information, out of the whole lot of smartphone users worldwide, 90% doesn't have the basic technical know how or proper Internet access to backup the data.

This basic principle of reset of password is in place for almost all applications other than 'Android' , be it Banks, Mails, Uber, Ola ,Zomato, even Govt platforms.

Ironically, the option for reset password was there in Android versions 5.0 and below using our GMAIL username and password. Still i am wondering why this has been removed. If someone knows please help me with this.

Finally, I have not forgot my password. This is a clear case of ANDROID software bug which i mentioned , i can prove with another phone running in same android version....

Yes I know, the reply will be same from whole world. A big 'NO'. But i feel its not fair and illogical and gonna fight till We win....
    02-08-2019 03:35 AM
    What i meant is , there should be some mechanism to reset the password, if someone forgets it. How many of us including you remember each and every password you have set. I know at least a million who don't..
    I know this doesn't apply to your situation, but since you mentioned the issue of people forgetting passwords, there is a solution. I don't know any of my passwords, but I do use and suggest a password manager. I only have to remember one very strong password, and it does the rest.

If you do get back into your phone, you may want to look into that for a universal increase in security. I prefer Last Pass, but there are others.
    02-08-2019 04:47 AM

Backing up data: Yes its a happy happy situation ...For your information, out of the whole lot of smartphone users worldwide, 90% doesn't have the basic technical know how or proper Internet access to backup the data.

This basic principle of reset of password is in place for almost all applications other than 'Android' , be it Banks, Mails, Uber, Ola ,Zomato, even Govt platforms.

Ironically, the option for reset password was there in Android versions 5.0 and below using our GMAIL username and password. Still i am wondering why this has been removed. If someone knows please help me with this.

Finally, I have not forgot my password. This is a clear case of ANDROID software bug which i mentioned , i can prove with another phone running in same android version....

Yes I know, the reply will be same from whole world. A big 'NO'. But i feel its not fair and illogical and gonna fight till We win....
    You should set up Lookout when you get a phone and you would not have this problem. A backup can be done through the micro USB to a flash drive if you don't have internet access. Good luck
    02-08-2019 06:09 AM