Google play app not showing up in app drawer but it is installed. How do i fix it?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

okay, so my google play services app has dissapeared from my app drawer (i have a samsung j3) and i know it is installed as when i go onto my app in settings it says its installed. And i have tried reinstalling it from google and it hasnt done anything. Im very confused. Without google play services i cant use quite a few other apps.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^ Don't worry, and welcome as a new member.
What's causing me some confusion is that you seem to be referring to two different things, so let's get that straight. In Settings, Apps, are you saying that Google Play Store, or Google Play Services, show as installed? They are different apps.
Play Services is not represented by an icon on Home screens or in the app drawer, whereas of course the Play Store is.

Epic_fire fly

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
^ Don't worry, and welcome as a new member.
What's causing me some confusion is that you seem to be referring to two different things, so let's get that straight. In Settings, Apps, are you saying that Google Play Store, or Google Play Services, show as installed? They are different apps.
Play Services is not represented by an icon on Home screens or in the app drawer, whereas of course the Play Store is.

Google Play services is shown as installed

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Google Play services is shown as installed
Welcome to the forums. As belodion has explained they are two different apps.

Google Play Store. You can open it from the app drawer or from a home screen shortcut. It seems it's working fine in your phone.

Google Play Services. This is a core app and you can't open it directly, the system will open it in the background when needed. This means it doesn't show up on your app drawer and you can't create a shortcut on your home screens, this is normal. It seems this app is already installed in your phone.

Could you explain what kind of problems you are experiencing?

Epic_fire fly

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. As belodion has explained they are two different apps.

Google Play Store. You can open it from the app drawer or from a home screen shortcut. It seems it's working fine in your phone.

Google Play Services. This is a core app and you can't open it directly, the system will open it in the background when needed. This means it doesn't show up on your app drawer and you can't create a shortcut on your home screens, this is normal. It seems this app is already installed in your phone.

Could you explain what kind of problems you are experiencing?

Its the google play store i guess then because i used to have the icon. Sorry for the confusion from me. Ive cant find the google play store anywhere on my app drawer and i have had multply people look for it so i havent just missed it. And my youtube app isnt working as it says "Youtube wont run without google play service which is not supported by your device" and thats to do with google play services. So im confused as there might be a problem with google play service and my google play store. Also youtube stopped working when the google play service app dissapeared.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Its the google play store i guess then because i used to have the icon. Sorry for the confusion from me. Ive cant find the google play store anywhere on my app drawer and i have had multply people look for it so i havent just missed it. And my youtube app isnt working as it says "Youtube wont run without google play service which is not supported by your device" and thats to do with google play services. So im confused as there might be a problem with google play service and my google play store. Also youtube stopped working when the google play service app dissapeared.
Try this, go to settings - apps - scroll down until you find Google Play Services and select it - scroll all way down and tap 'app details'. This should open the Play Store record for the Play Services, what options do you get? Take a screenshot of that screen and post it here.

Epic_fire fly

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
Try this, go to settings - apps - scroll down until you find Google Play Services and select it - scroll all way down and tap 'app details'. This should open the Play Store record for the Play Services, what options do you get? Take a screenshot of that screen and post it here.
I couldn't find app details but would this do?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190211-162853_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190211-162853_Settings.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20190211-162900_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20190211-162900_Settings.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Epic_fire fly

Feb 10, 2019
Visit site
That's very strange. The version seems very outdated (I'm on 15.0) and there's no reference to the Play Store. Did you sideload the Google Play Services app or are you using a custom ROM? Did your phone come with the Google apps already preinstalled?

Im pretty sure my phone came with google apps preinstalled. What do you mean by sideload?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Google Play Services app page in the Play Store (either on your phone or your computer browser) and see if you have the option to update. If you go to that page on your computer browser, click the Installed button, then click the device list dropdown, and see if your phone is selectable.