data keeps disconnecting

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm using a HTC desire 12+ on Android 8.0.0. It says no other updates are available.

Roughly 2 weeks ago my 4g started disconnecting like clockwork every night sometime between midnight and 1am. Sometimes multiple times before I fell asleep. Since this started happening at night I've always woke up and it's been disconnected again during the night.

To reconnect I have to switch on airplane mode and then switch it off again (right away I don't wait 30 seconds or anything but have tried doing so for a possible fix). When I switch off my mobile data and then put it on again it still can't find a connection.

Sometimes it shows a big 'X' next to the 4g sign on the drop-down notification bar, other times it's disconnected and there's no X.

As I mentioned this was happening exclusively at night and was resolved in the morning once I finally remembered to reset using airplane mode and get my connection back. This led me to not really worry about it or look into it- I just assumed it was some works on a mast locally or something similar. Especially with the weird timings it just made sense.

But as of yesterday it's now an all day problem. I can sometimes get a connection for 2 minutes, other times it's 15 seconds and gone. Everything just stops being able to load.

I'll list what I've tried so far- obviously nothing has worked as yet. I'm at my wits end.

I checked for planned works or disturbances in my area with my network carrier. I should be getting full service.

I checked and then for the hell of it reset my APN settings

I've cleared the cache on all of the apps and Android system files that are on my device

Ive rebooted in safe mode (have not downloaded anything recently but just to check, no change)

I moved my SIM into the 2nd slot in my phone

I did a network roam? Not sure if that's the right term. I tried to connect to a wrong network and then reconnected to the correct one. This was suggested to me to reboot the connection with the network. My carrier also then re-provisioned my service

Network mode is 2g/3g/4g auto. Switching to 3g does not change the problem

I put my SIM into my old HTC. Which then works fine. It would have been a joyous occasion to see an uninterrupted signal if it was on a phone that didn't overheat whilst switching on hah. I'm guessing this suggests that the problem is indeed with my device or the software on it?

I'm waiting for a new SIM to be delivered which is the only other idea I have despite thinking it's probably not going to help.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions (please note I'm already considering putting it in the bin hahah).... I mean if you've read all of this it's worth a reply, right? ;o

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
Does anyone have any suggestions? Please :(

SIM in old phone works, new SIM in my phone has the same problem.. I don't have a laptop etc to back up all my data so really really don't want to wipe my device, especially when it's not guaranteed to work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You've already done what I would've suggested. It might be a problem with the phone's antenna. Have you already tried a factory reset?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a HTC desire 12+ on Android 8.0.0. It says no other updates are available.
The phone wasn't scheduled for any updates.

I'm waiting for a new SIM to be delivered which is the only other idea I have despite thinking it's probably not going to help.
It probably won't, since your SIM works in another phone.

I'd be really grateful for any suggestions
No suggestion, since the phone is out of warranty, and I suspect a bad modem - which means you need a new motherboard - which would probably cost more to have done than a new phone would cost (they're going in the $150 range at the moment).

I assume that you already tried reflashing the ROM - that could cause the problem, if some very weird corruption occurred, but that happens to one in a million phones or less.

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
Alas, my new SIM did not work. Which was pretty much expected as you rightly said. Before I commit to a hard reset etc. I'm going to try a last ditch attempt with a SIM from a different carrier but am not hopeful.

My phone is not out of warranty. But it's the same situation as with wiping it- I don't have anywhere to back it up and it seems like such a shame.

It's a really weird issue- I mean, if it's a modem issue (don't know what that means but assuming you mean there's a modem actually inside the phone) why always between 12-1am for the first 2 weeks? It was eerily consistent, hence why I didn't realise for so long it wasnt network maintenance.

I haven't tried reflashing the ROM. I don't even know what that means. Would you be so kind as to talk me through it? I once got hit in the eyeball with a paper aeroplane I made and threw.... The unlikely likes me.

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
I just tried the suggestion below - I can't remember what option was selected on the drop-down menu before I selected GSM Auto. Now my phone appears to be getting 3g exclusively despite it being on 2g/3g/4g auto. When I tried to fix the issue before by using 3g only the issue still existed.

I ran a ping test before I changed the setting and I had a connection in SIM slot 1 (I'd just used airplane mode so hadn't switched itself off yet) and it said it was fine.

However, when I selected the GSM Auto and did the ping test they both failed, but when I exited and opened chrome it loaded fine (on 3g though). Should I be able to use data after a failed ping test?

Does this tell you guys anything? I really don't know what I'm doing/looking at.

I screenshotted the failed ping test which I've attached. What does that mean? Do I need to change anything back or take any action knowing that now?

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply guys :)

*this is what I did- I didn't switch off the radio though because I wasn't sure which option that was and didn't want to do more damage with my inexperience*

Method 3
There is a problem with the radio signal not being broadcasted correctly.

Dial *#*#4636#*#* in the dialer
You will be prompted with a tasting menu
Click phone/device information
Run ping test
Select GSM Auto (PRL) from the drop-down list
Click Turn off the radio
Restart.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190620-235743.jpg
    Screenshot_20190620-235743.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1

kaitlin96

Jun 19, 2019
Visit site
OK. Progress.... Ish.

So, when I'm on that ping test page and set my preferred network type to GSM Auto (PRL) I seem to only get 3g but, more importantly, it holds signal like it should

However, whenever I restart my phone or even just close the testing tab in the background it defaults straight back to LTE/UMTS auto (PRL). Which appears to be the problem.

Is there a permanent way to do this so I can change these settings and save them?

Also if GSM is working without issues, does that narrow down my problem and prompt any more fix suggestions? Where I'd have 4g?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze