Disable high volume warning?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I'm using a Pixel 3 with Android 9.

I use white noise for sleep and need it all the way up so I can hear it through my padded headphones. Every 2nd night the sound suddenly cuts out to almost muted, waking me up. The screen shows a warning "Listening at a high volume for a long time may damage your hearing..." which I have to blearily OK then crank the volume back to a level I can hear.

Same thing happens when listening to music in my car over bluetooth. I need the volume near max on both phone and car to hear it properly.

I am in Canada, not the EU. There's no legal requirement for this obnoxious nanny function here.

How do I disable it on Pixel 3 without rooting?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I am in Canada, not the EU. There's no legal requirement for this obnoxious nanny function here.

True, but my guess is they do it for liability reasons "just in case" one of those phones are imported to the EU or anywhere else that may require this. Agreed, it's an annoyance that they feel the need to baby us like this, but I'm not aware of a way to stop it for good.

I've used this app in the past with moderate success (it would still give me the warning on occasion), but I can't say if it'll still work on current Android versions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jakebasile.android.hearingsaver

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There may not be any legal requirement, but your ears work the same as European ears and American ears - listening at a high volume for a long time will damage your hearing. So if you like wearing hearing aids, you can root the phone (it's easy with Magisk with a Pixel) and change a few system files to get volume loud enough to blow the speaker out. But in a few years, you'll be asking yourself, "Was it really worth it, knowing now that it would lead to profound deafness?" (I got one blast of a large didgeridoo [an Australian horn-sort-of-thing] close to my ears back around 2004. I have about 100db hearing loss in each ear above 4kHz due to that. Trust me - working ears are a lot better.)

DallasXanadu

Nov 16, 2018
Visit site
There may not be any legal requirement, but your ears work the same as European ears and American ears - listening at a high volume for a long time will damage your hearing. So if you like wearing hearing aids, you can root the phone (it's easy with Magisk with a Pixel) and change a few system files to get volume loud enough to blow the speaker out. But in a few years, you'll be asking yourself, "Was it really worth it, knowing now that it would lead to profound deafness?" (I got one blast of a large didgeridoo [an Australian horn-sort-of-thing] close to my ears back around 2004. I have about 100db hearing loss in each ear above 4kHz due to that. Trust me - working ears are a lot better.)

"So if you like wearing hearing aids...."

This is a pretty silly sentence, considering that like me, a lot of people listen to music in their car via bluetooth and use the car's volume control to actually control how much damage they're doing or not doing to their ears. In fact, audio-wise the best sound is always turning up the source to near-max level and then adjusting down via the other device. I've turned on "volume limiter" and set the limit at the max volume. I haven't gotten a warning in a couple of days, so perhaps this fixed it. Fingers crossed.