Chrome and Chrome Beta crashing constantly on Android (Google Pixel 3 XL)

Peitso

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm having problems with Chrome (76.0.3809.89) and Chrome Beta (76.0.3809.89) on my Android device (Google Pixel 3 XL) running Android Pie 9.0 with July security patches.

Every time that I launch either one of the two browsers, I'm able to browse the Web for only less than a minute until the browser stops responding and gives me the dialog box asking me how to proceed (kill, wait, report).

If I choose to kill the task, I'm able to browse the Web again (after relaunching the browser) for less than a minute before the browser freezes again. If I choose to wait, the wait seems to be endless. When reporting the issue, the cause of the crash is stated as: "ANR input dispatching timed out (Waiting to send non-key event because the touched window has not finished processing certain input events that were delivered to it over 500.0 ms ago. Wait queue length: 41. Wait queue head age: 9768.5ms.)" (The queue length and head age varies).

The troubleshooting steps that I've taken so far:

- disabled synchronization of data on both browsers
- logged out of my Google account on both browsers
- deleted cache and all data on both browsers
- running Chrome in safe mode

-> The issue persists leading me to believe that the problem is not related to corrupt cache/user data, my Google account, and/or installed third party apps.

To help with further troubleshooting efforts, I've included recent main, system, and crash logs showing what's going on while I've tried to use Chrome in safe mode:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rfNUSEJWAn29bB1UXCNalAbRqvbJJrmX/view

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Peitso

Oct 20, 2017
Visit site
You have both the stable and beta versions of Chrome installed? What happens if you uninstall the beta and just use the stable?
It's the same situation. I've tried that out as well. And as I stated in the opening message, the issue is there also in the safe mode.

Another poster noted in Google Chrome support forums that he/she is having the exact same issue with the same version number and installing an older version of Chrome works. I installed the latest version of Chrome Dev (77.0.3865.11) alongside the current Chrome and Chrome Beta versions and it works just fine. This seems to be an issue with specifically the versions 76.0.3809.89 of Chrome and Chrome Beta. Hopefully, Google sorts this out.