Why can't I fix my damn battery drain problem

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Nexus 5X was working perfectly until one month ago, when one day the battery suddenly drained around 25% during the night with airplane mode ON (Before that, it just drained 4-5%). Since that moment, the battery drains 2-3% per hour without using it (In airplane mode or even turned off!!). I don't remember doing anything special the day before the drain...
I'm desperate because I think I have tried everything: Chasing apps and wakelocks, factory reset, downgrading Android, installing custom ROM's and kernels, swapping battery... And the problem persists!!
I would say it's a problem from the motherboard (Don't know if software or hardware), because I recently opened the phone again and unplugged the battery (At 48%) to clearly see if it is a battery problem or not, and I've noticed that the percentage indicated was not correct. Mainly because initially, when I plugged it again and powered the phone, it showed 40%; but then unplugged and plugged it again and the percentage was 46%!!
Also, when charging, the time it says it's going to take to complete isn't accurate; so maybe there's something (?). But that only happens with the original charger (supports fast charge), which could be faulty, but I've tried with many different chargers and the massive drain is still here :(
Maybe fast charge has damaged the battery? Planned obsolescence?
Gotta say I have taken quite care of the battery; but I don't know what else to do, please help.

abelolles

Aug 28, 2019
Visit site
Registering done, thanks!!

Didn't mention it, but the phone works normally. The only problem is the battery life, that is (apparently) shorter than usual...
What's the bootloop issue you mention?

Thank you in advance :)

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Registering done, thanks!!

Didn't mention it, but the phone works normally. The only problem is the battery life, that is (apparently) shorter than usual...
What's the bootloop issue you mention?

Thank you in advance :)
Hi , welcome!
The battery I replaced on mine , but bootloop means it starts at Google logo and turns off and does that constantly.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Yeah yeah, I know what a bootloop is, but it has nothing to do with the battery issue, right? If there is I don't see the connection...
Did you have the same problem?
I had both , battery issue after battery replacement bootloop...you can do battery replacement see what happens..but my advice move on from this device

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It sure sounds like a failing battery. The phone is almost 4 years old, so it's not too surprising that it's starting to act this way (especially if the phone has been used pretty heavily, with frequent deep discharges).

abelolles

Aug 28, 2019
Visit site
I've already tried replacing the battery, but the problem is still there, so I don't really know if it's a battery issue (which would be the most obvious...). It may be product of the years, but as it appeared suddenly and I haven't used the phone much heavily, I wondered if there was a solution. Do you think it's better to move on?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've already tried replacing the battery, but the problem is still there, so I don't really know if it's a battery issue (which would be the most obvious...). It may be product of the years, but as it appeared suddenly and I haven't used the phone much heavily, I wondered if there was a solution. Do you think it's better to move on?
I gave you my advice, definitely move on from the phone.