Galaxy S8, GMAIL unable to add accounts

VaughanJ

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi Folks, firstly, Happy New Year .. Secondly, I wonder if someone can please advise or at east confirm that im not loosing the plot & point me in the direction of a solution ..

The issue is im unable to add email accounts to my samsung S8 (imap).

Now, I own my own domain, so im able to confirm the Passwords are correct (I can see them in plain text on the server)
I can connect to the server GUI using the passwords, so Authentication isnt the issue.

I have setup the accounts on my wifes Samsung A70 Android Phone, and can add all 7 accounts without issue.

Ive replicated the exact, re-creation on the S8, key stroke for keystroke, and it keeps returning that the password is incorrect! (I reset the password to 1,2,3,4,5 and it still gives the same error!) Ive made sure that the account type is imap, and the url for the imap server is correct (verified by the hosting company tech support)

But the bloody phone will not accept the credentials for the accounts !! ..

Really starting to doubt my sanity now .. Has anyone ever seen this before ?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Not on anything but GMail. (My local GMail server failed for a minute a couple of hours ago.) Are you certain that you have the encryption, etc. set properly?

VaughanJ

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Not on anything but GMail. (My local GMail server failed for a minute a couple of hours ago.) Are you certain that you have the encryption, etc. set properly?

Yup, correct ports and encryption ...
Going to enable Wifi and disable cellular so I can sniff the packets & see what is actually being sent (Its probably the only thing I can think of that I havnt tried)

VaughanJ

Jan 1, 2020
Visit site
Well Ive found and fixed the problem ... Quite a strange one .. It seems that although the imap account password was happy to have a special character as part of the password "!" It wasnt being sent by the gmail app .. so was failing on authentication, even though gmail was happy to accept the character.

So, ive had to remove the special characters from the mailboxes.