Storing apps on SD card temporarily?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My phone has Android 8.0, and only 8g of internal storage. I don't want to use an SD card as internal storage, but I'd like to be able to stash apps on the SD card and move them back and forth as I need them. Is this possible, or will it cause the apps not to work properly? Can I just download them to the SD card, then install them from there when I need them, then uninstall?

There are just a lot of apps I don't need on the phone all the time, like shopping apps that I only need when I'm shopping or cashback apps that I only need after I shop. I want to reserve internal storage for apps I use all the time. TIA

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You have to install them to the phone, but then you can use Apk Extractor to make an apk of the app and copy that to the SD card, then uninstall the app. The next time you need the app, just tap the apk file (from your file manager) and it will install.

I wouldn't download apk files from other sites - you'll get the proper version for your phone if you install it with Play. (But you need only space for Apk Extractor. the apk file and the app you're going to uninstall. You should have enough for that. [For a couple of years, anyway.])

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87