Solved Can't move or download files

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
I have a bunch of movies that I have downloaded to my Android tablet. I can cast them to my tv and watch them that way. My problem is I've tried to move them to my micro SD card and my USB but they don't work. I tried x-plore and that tells me item a read only file. I've even tried downloading then directly to the micro SD card and the USB card and that doesn't work. If I do it that way then even apps I download don't appear. I've tried everything. When I use x-plore the file moves but it looks like the hex information doesn't. That is the only thing I can see when looking at the files side by side. I've gone through others files on your site and tried those suggestions. I've rooted everything, gone into the data and on folders told it to use these folders and continue but still the same. All files download great to the internal storage and I watch them. Oh, now some of the movies will move to the micro SD card but others don't which is what is stumping me. Sorry to be such a long message but I wanted to let you know what I've done so far and the outcomes. Thank you for your help

Solution
I sent 4 days trying to figure out why I could no longer copy/ move movies from internal drive to either my micro SD card or my USB OTG drive. Every time I tried I got a read only error. First I reformatted the SD card. I was able to copy/move files from internal storage. Then I tried downloading directly to the SD card. That worked. So I did the same with the USB drive. It was a little more work to format it but I got it done and it worked. I can copy/move all I want again. 1 thing though. When I formatted the USB drive the android folder only showed a data folder. No media or obb folder. Seemed odd but it didn't affect anything. just make sure you go into the androidfolder and the data, media and obb folders and click use this folder...

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
Here is some more info. My internal storage was filling up so I put a 256 gb micro SD card in to move the movies to and free up space. At the time I moved 37 of the 46 movies to the SD card. Then decided to get a 1 tb is drive that plugs into an otg adapter that plugs into the charging plug. I moved 2 of the movies from the SD card to the USB drive. That was it. I haven't been able to move anything from the internal drive to the SD card or the USB drive or from the sb card to the USB drive. And am unable to download to anything but the internal drive.

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which tablet do you have? Did you format the SD card as Internal Storage or Portable Storage?
It's an onn 10.1 tablet. I formatted the SD card to be an external drive so I can put it into other things if I wanted. That shouldn't be the issue since I was able to use it that way all along dontcha think?

Its got me baffled. Been working on this for 4 days.

When I looked at the file data the only difference between the two is the one that I moved didn't show the screen side, ie 1200 x 1080 for example. This led me to the hex data and I found that data didn't move with the gile

Sorry...gile details not data

Last edited by a moderator:

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
The first attachment shows good files. If you look you can see the screen sizes. The second attachment is the hex data for the good file. The third

When moved the bad file just shows zeros all the way down the hex data and nothing on the right edge

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240305-075159.png
    Screenshot_20240305-075159.png
    354.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20240305-075124.png
    Screenshot_20240305-075124.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20240305-074357.png
    Screenshot_20240305-074357.png
    221.5 KB · Views: 11

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where did you get the SD card from? Counterfeit cards are common these days, and are more likely to be sold by random online sellers (as opposed to well-established physical stores, or name-brand online sites). If you got the card at an amazingly low price, that greatly raises the suspicion that the card might be counterfeit.

Counterfeit cards are programmed to report much more space than they actually have -- this can fool most file managers. The problem is that when you exceed the actual storage capacity of the card, the data starts getting corrupt. You can read here how to test the integrity of the card: How to Spot a Fake MicroSD Card and Avoid Being Scammed

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
I don't remember where I got them. Sorry. But I have some updates. First I reformatted my micro SD card. Them I checked and I was able to copy the movies from my internal drive to my SD card. That was good. Second, I just finished downloading a movie directly to my SD card. That worked.
Now I'm contemplating my next move. This is where the trouble started last time. I plugged the USB drive in copied 1 movie from the SD card to the USB drive and I couldn't copy anything from the internal drive to either the SD card or the USB drive. So I guess I'm going to eject the SD card and plug in the USB drive and see what happens. I could leave the SD card in but I want to it if it happens again by leaving the SD card out if it affects it again. Will keep you posted. I appreciate the sounding board. It helps me to stay focused rather than trying a bunch of different things. I hate troubleshooting a problem and fixing it but not knowing why it happened. Anyway, thanks for the ears.
L

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
I sent 4 days trying to figure out why I could no longer copy/ move movies from internal drive to either my micro SD card or my USB OTG drive. Every time I tried I got a read only error. First I reformatted the SD card. I was able to copy/move files from internal storage. Then I tried downloading directly to the SD card. That worked. So I did the same with the USB drive. It was a little more work to format it but I got it done and it worked. I can copy/move all I want again. 1 thing though. When I formatted the USB drive the android folder only showed a data folder. No media or obb folder. Seemed odd but it didn't affect anything. just make sure you go into the androidfolder and the data, media and obb folders and click use this folder for each on each drive. I used x-plore. It worked great. If you exit out and go back in make sure to reinitialize those folders. I hope this helps out. Take it easy.
L

Reactions: Bla1ze and B. Diddy
Solution

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
I sent 4 days trying to figure out why I could no longer copy/ move movies from internal drive to either my micro SD card or my USB OTG drive. Every time I tried I got a read only error. First I reformatted the SD card. I was able to copy/move files from internal storage. Then I tried downloading directly to the SD card. That worked. So I did the same with the USB drive. It was a little more work to format it but I got it done and it worked. I can copy/move all I want again. 1 thing though. When I formatted the USB drive the android folder only showed a data folder. No media or obb folder. Seemed odd but it didn't affect anything. just make sure you go into the androidfolder and the data, media and obb folders and click use this folder for each on each drive. I used x-plore. It worked great. If you exit out and go back in make sure to reinitialize those folders. I hope this helps out. Take it easy.
L
Since I did this I haven't had any more problems. I have since downloaded over 20 movies directly to the SD card as per attachments. Although troubleshooting took a bit of time, it was an easy fix and the first thing I'll try next time.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240308-043312.png
    Screenshot_20240308-043312.png
    197.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240308-043257.png
    Screenshot_20240308-043257.png
    220.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240308-043241.png
    Screenshot_20240308-043241.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 6