Bluetooth in the car differences - Android vs Windows Phone

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I recently helped an older family member finally make the move from Windows Phone to Android. I set everything up with him and the last thing we did was remove his WP from his car's Bluetooth and pair the Android phone to the car, we tested it with a phone call and it worked as normal.
A few days later I got the following complaint: Google Maps doesn't "speak" over the radio in the car.

I didn't know this, but with the WP, if you have the normal car radio playing audio from an FM source, the volume of the radio would be reduced and the WP navigation app would speak over the radio to say "turn left" or whatever.

With Android, this does not happen unless the car's input is explicitly set to Bluetooth. (tried it with Waze and Google Maps)

Whilst this isn't an issue for me (I'm actually surprised WP/the car can do this), because I stream my music through the Bluetooth in my car anyway, it is an issue for the older generation, who enjoy listening to local radio.
(If your source is set to Bluetooth then the phone handles the reduction of music volume for the navigation announcements)

My current solution for him has been to change the settings in both Waze and Google Maps for his phone to play the announcement via the phone speaker, even though the Bluetooth is enabled for calls. He is happy with this solution, but I was wondering if anyone else has come across this scenario, and how come WP is able to do this? It's better to have the directions coming through the vehicle speakers, rather than the phone.

The other solution is to get him to stream radio through his phone using some Internet-based radio, but I don't think this a good solution for him, considering the type of user he is.

I also discovered that he's missing another WP feature, the phone would read out an incoming SMS via the car's Bluetooth and prompt him to say a reply message. It seems WP was actually a good phone for him!

Any help and advise is much appreciated.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
As assistants go, Cortana on windows phones did by far the best job of reading out stuff hands free. Google Assistant and Android auto can't compare. It sounds like you probably have it set up as well as you can for the situation ;-) Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me will chime in and help :)

I do know that no Android phone except older Moto phones with Moto Voice will read out calls and texts and let you answer hands free. I really missed that when I switched over from windows phones myself :-[

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Google Assistant can read out text and let you reply hands free. Not sure how it compares to other systems, but it worked when I tried it (I don't care for voice assistants, so didn't keep using it).

As for the maps audio, the only thing I can think of is the WP was somehow sending GPS audio in a way that the stereo thought it was an incoming call ringing. Any Bluetooth stereo I connected to with my Android phones always muted regardless of the selected audio source, and played a ring tone when a call came in. I think that use to be how some audio apps tricked Bluetooth devices into accepting media audio before dedicated media audio codec's were popular, but that is no longer necessary and would doubt there's a way to still do that trick.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
As assistants go, Cortana on windows phones did by far the best job of reading out stuff hands free. Google Assistant and Android auto can't compare. It sounds like you probably have it set up as well as you can for the situation ;-) Maybe somebody more knowledgeable than me will chime in and help :)

I do know that no Android phone except older Moto phones with Moto Voice will read out calls and texts and let you answer hands free. I really missed that when I switched over from windows phones myself :-[
Why would you think that? Android phones aside from yours have been doing it for years through the native os, and utilizing developer options, Playstore apps, routines and IFTTT.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
Why would you think that? Android phones aside from yours have been doing it for years through the native os, and utilizing developer options, Playstore apps, routines and IFTTT.

Windows phones and Moto phones with Moto Voice will read out your calls and texts as you receive them....then ask you if you want to respond. Google Assistant only gives you a notification sound for texts/emails etc and then you have to ask it what you got, and then if it actually tells you you have to start the whole process of responding. Windows and Moto Voice do it all at once, without you having to do anything extra...... plus they both read out the callers name or number, another thing Google Assistant doesn't do.

Google Assistant is way slower and more cumbersome with many more steps to get the same thing done. Sorry if I wasn't clearer ;-)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As for the maps audio, the only thing I can think of is the WP was somehow sending GPS audio in a way that the stereo thought it was an incoming call ringing. Any Bluetooth stereo I connected to with my Android phones always muted regardless of the selected audio source, and played a ring tone when a call came in. I think that use to be how some audio apps tricked Bluetooth devices into accepting media audio before dedicated media audio codec's were popular, but that is no longer necessary and would doubt there's a way to still do that trick.

This (tricking the car into thinking it was a call) sounds exactly what was happening with Windows Phone devices.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Windows phones and Moto phones with Moto Voice will read out your calls and texts as you receive them....then ask you if you want to respond. Google Assistant only gives you a notification sound for texts/emails etc and then you have to ask it what you got, and then if it actually tells you you have to start the whole process of responding. Windows and Moto Voice do it all at once, without you having to do anything extra...... plus they both read out the callers name or number, another thing Google Assistant doesn't do.

Google Assistant is way slower and more cumbersome with many more steps to get the same thing done. Sorry if I wasn't clearer ;-)
I use 'caller name announcer' from the Playstore to read out what your phone does natively.

stevenjb2020

Oct 1, 2019
Visit site
I liked the way Cortana (Windows phone) handled text messages while in the car over the radio connection. Acknowledge, Read back, Respond - all without any physical interaction with the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar