I'm sick and tired of people who will send multiple texts in a rapid fire just to complete a sentence.

Is there an app that will allow me to set the notification to only notify me about the first message and not the subsequent? I'm using Textra and, while it's a great app overall, it doesn't allow for this.

Thanks!
    03-18-2020 01:48 AM
    I've heard similar questions and to date I know of no app that simply ignores subsequent messages. Just recently a user was complaining that they chose to ignore some messages and didn't want the unread count to reflect that those messages were still unread and deduct them from the unread count.

You can contact the developer of your favorite app and ask for such a feature to be added, perhaps with a toggle or something, but the odds are against you on that. My suggestion would be to identify your contacts that do this and find a less intrusive or less annoying notification sound for them. While I realize this may not be the answer you were hoping for I think it may be the best one you'll get.

Alternatively if you are in a serious back and forth this contact where you both are replying in a matter of seconds, not minutes or hours, you could mute the conversation. I think with this option the messages still come in but there is no notification sound or vibration associated with subsequent messages. I'm not sure if Textra has this, it's pretty mainstream, so I would imagine if most are doing it they are too. Usually there is a time frame put on the mute 10, 15, 30 minutes...?

If you would like to reply to this thread please register an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-new-post.html
    03-18-2020 03:54 AM
    Ya something that allows a temp muting button would be awesome.
    03-18-2020 04:55 AM
    Ya something that allows a temp muting button would be awesome.
    Handcent, Google Messages, Messages+ all offer it. I'd be surprised if Textra doesn't.
    03-18-2020 09:29 AM
    Handcent, Google Messages, Messages+ all offer it. I'd be surprised if Textra doesn't.
    If Textra offers it in not seeing it. I've emailed them.
    03-18-2020 09:47 AM
    I've heard similar questions and to date I know of no app that simply ignores subsequent messages.

- I'm astonished that no one did it and / or that there are not enough people like me out there who go crazy with this.

You can contact the developer of your favorite app and ask for such a feature to be added

- Unfortunately, they don't allow me to vote or request anything because I have voted too much already. And trust me, I haven't that much.

My suggestion would be to identify your contacts that do this and find a less intrusive or less annoying notification sound for them. While I realize this may not be the answer you were hoping for I think it may be the best one you'll get.

- I guess... My current sound only beeps once, I guess I can find a whisper or something. But the other issue is the notifications on my watch, not just the sound.

Alternatively if you are in a serious back and forth this contact where you both are replying in a matter of seconds, not minutes or hours, you could mute the conversation. I think with this option the messages still come in but there is no notification sound or vibration associated with subsequent messages.

- I am actually doing this, but then I forget about the conversation altogether. Their fault, anyway, but...kinda defeats the purpose of messaging.

I'm not sure if Textra has this

- It does

, it's pretty mainstream, so I would imagine if most are doing it they are too. Usually there is a time frame put on the mute 10, 15, 30 minutes...?
    - That, it doesn't. It's either mute or unmute.

If you would like to reply to this thread please register an account.

- I was registered, but not logged in when I posted the question.
    - Thanks!!

This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-new-post.html
    03-18-2020 12:30 PM
    If Textra offers it in not seeing it. I've emailed them.
    - Correct, it doesn't. Anyway, it would be a workaround. I want to just have one alert per conversation, at least until I reply. But, seeing that other apps allow for this at least, I guess I can try. I tried Google Messages and I found it very limited in options as compared to Textra. I have to try the other 2, I guess. I'm pretty sure that back in the day, before settling for Textra, I tried Handcent.
    VidJunky likes this.
    03-18-2020 12:35 PM
    - Correct, it doesn't. Anyway, it would be a workaround. I want to just have one alert per conversation, at least until I reply. But, seeing that other apps allow for this at least, I guess I can try. I tried Google Messages and I found it very limited in options as compared to Textra. I have to try the other 2, I guess. I'm pretty sure that back in the day, before settling for Textra, I tried Handcent.
    Looked as well on messages and nothing like we are asking. I used to run handcent don't remember it having this function.
    03-18-2020 08:36 PM
    There isn't an app more customizable and feature rich than YAATA on Google Play Store.
    03-19-2020 12:02 AM
    After you saying that you couldn't find a way to set a time limit I went looking, because although I've never used it I know I've seen it. It was in my Email app. My bad. Well if you can get them to email you, you're all set. LOL.

Wish I had more ideas for you.
    03-20-2020 06:41 PM
    There isn't an app more customizable and feature rich than YAATA on Google Play Store.
    I wasn't familiar with this app at all. I'm trying it, and I agree with you - it's the most feature rich texting app that I have ever seen.
    03-21-2020 06:50 PM
    After you saying that you couldn't find a way to set a time limit I went looking, because although I've never used it I know I've seen it. It was in my Email app. My bad. Well if you can get them to email you, you're all set. LOL.

Wish I had more ideas for you.
    Sooo... It's an email app that allows you to mute a person temporarily??
    03-21-2020 06:50 PM
    Yeah but the timers didn't look right so I kept looking and found that Facebook Messenger has the timers I remember. You can use Messenger as your SMS app but I guess it'll be up to you to decide if it is worth it.Texting app with highly customizable notifications?-screenshot_20200321-203740_email.jpegTexting app with highly customizable notifications?-screenshot_20200321-204423_messenger.jpeg
    03-21-2020 09:41 PM
    Yeah but the timers didn't look right so I kept looking and found that Facebook Messenger has the timers I remember. You can use Messenger as your SMS app but I guess it'll be up to you to decide if it is worth it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200321-203740_Email.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	318252Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200321-204423_Messenger.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	26.0 KB 
ID:	318253
    You are the best. Thank you for this.

That mute conversation in FB Messages is exactly what I was looking for. I'll give it a try. Never used FB messages as an SMS app, and honestly not for FB messages either.

Curious - why did you say that's up to me to decide if it's worth it? I already found a couple of things missing, that Textra and YAATA have - send a contact but most importantly for me, delay send. I use this a lot. So now I have to choose of I want the conversation muting function or the delay send function. Argh!
    VidJunky likes this.
    03-22-2020 12:16 PM
    Here's the update -

I tried Handcent and although it had a ton of configuration options, there is nothing like what I'm looking for.

The one to come a little closer is YAATA. It has an option that goes like this:

"Less frequent notifications
    Ring only if there is no unread messages or if last unread message is older than:"and then you select the "older than" value.

And this is how it works - I set the "older than" to 1 minute. Contact A sends a text, and then more in a matter of seconds. The phone only rings for the first one. If contact B texts within that mute minute, the app still doesn't ring. After the minute, the app starts ringing again even if there is an unread message from contact A.

This is the closest thing. It's not perfect because:

1. The muting applies to the entire app as opposed to select conversations. When contact B texted me within the muting period the app didn't ring.
    2. After the time selected it will ring again. I'd much prefer "ring once per conversation until I reply"
    3. Subsequent messages within muting period may not ring but continue to go to my watch (a muted conversation doesn't).

So - far from ideal but the only one to at least take a step in that direction.

So I will very likely ditch Textra and use YAATA instead, but first try FB Messages

Thanks!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    03-22-2020 12:24 PM
    I hope Messenger works out for you. I switched to Google Messages when everyone was getting excited about RCS. There are things I like about it, for one no ads. Since I don't usually pay for apps it was nice to have one without ads. I also like the clean UI and the way it links your Google Photos in messages. What I miss is delayed send. Since I work at night there are times when I want to text someone but not at 2 or 3am. Being able to set a message to send at 7 or 8am and not having to try and remember to send it or what I needed to say 6 hours ago is a real nice feature. The other feature I miss is one that might be on the unique side, was the built-in option to auto send a message that I'm driving when connected to certain Bluetooth devices. Verizon's Messages+ offered this.

No one app seems to have it all so we just have to pick our priorities.
    03-22-2020 06:27 PM
    Here's the update -

I tried Handcent and although it had a ton of configuration options, there is nothing like what I'm looking for.

The one to come a little closer is YAATA. It has an option that goes like this:

"Less frequent notifications
    Ring only if there is no unread messages or if last unread message is older than:"and then you select the "older than" value.

And this is how it works - I set the "older than" to 1 minute. Contact A sends a text, and then more in a matter of seconds. The phone only rings for the first one. If contact B texts within that mute minute, the app still doesn't ring. After the minute, the app starts ringing again even if there is an unread message from contact A.

This is the closest thing. It's not perfect because:

1. The muting applies to the entire app as opposed to select conversations. When contact B texted me within the muting period the app didn't ring.
    2. After the time selected it will ring again. I'd much prefer "ring once per conversation until I reply"
    3. Subsequent messages within muting period may not ring but continue to go to my watch (a muted conversation doesn't).

So - far from ideal but the only one to at least take a step in that direction.

So I will very likely ditch Textra and use YAATA instead, but first try FB Messages

Thanks!
    I'm glad you found an interim solution that works for the most part! It's too bad that the entire app will mute itself, however, and not just the contact who is sending you those messages.

I too get subsequent messages from some contacts, almost in rapid fire, so I can definitely understand your frustration.

I have used Textra off and on for a few years now - the app development team is really top-notch. If you inquire about it, I wonder if they will make this "contact on mute temporarily"/"combining multiple SMS messages" an option for their app at some point. It would definitely be very handy and attractive to many users.
    03-24-2020 10:56 AM
    I hope Messenger works out for you.

- It didn't, sadly. Other than that great feature, it lacks everything else

I switched to Google Messages when everyone was getting excited about RCS. There are things I like about it, for one no ads. Since I don't usually pay for apps it was nice to have one without ads.

- Ahhh...I do pay for the apps that I keep. Developers have to eat! I like the trial periods, then if I keep I pay.

I also like the clean UI and the way it links your Google Photos in messages. What I miss is delayed send. Since I work at night there are times when I want to text someone but not at 2 or 3am. Being able to set a message to send at 7 or 8am and not having to try and remember to send it or what I needed to say 6 hours ago is a real nice feature.

- I completely understand! I use that feature a lot. Textra has it, and so does YAATA although only after paying a contribution. I tried Messages in the past and yes, I found it too lacking in options. Clean UI, but - I want features.

The other feature I miss is one that might be on the unique side, was the built-in option to auto send a message that I'm driving when connected to certain Bluetooth devices. Verizon's Messages+ offered this.

No one app seems to have it all so we just have to pick our priorities.

- True! And I would pay more, I tell you, the devs just have to get busy and do it!
    VidJunky likes this.
    03-27-2020 09:40 AM
    I'm glad you found an interim solution that works for the most part! It's too bad that the entire app will mute itself, however, and not just the contact who is sending you those messages.

I too get subsequent messages from some contacts, almost in rapid fire, so I can definitely understand your frustration.

I have used Textra off and on for a few years now - the app development team is really top-notch. If you inquire about it, I wonder if they will make this "contact on mute temporarily"/"combining multiple SMS messages" an option for their app at some point. It would definitely be very handy and attractive to many users.
    - I contacted the Textra team again, it has been a long time since I asked them for a feature. Let's see what they do. YAATA has no support.
    VidJunky likes this.
    03-27-2020 09:42 AM