hdmi input for galaxy tab 10.5 tablet

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

i have a galaxy s10+ connected to a dex pad. i want to use my old galaxy tab 10.5 (model sm-T805Y) as a monitor via connecting a hdmi (from dex) to micro usb (to tablet)

all i have found on the net is how to display the tablet on a tv and using the app TwoMon to make the tablet a second monitor for pc and mac but nothing showing how to use the tablet as a monitor. is this even possible?

im still waiting for my HDMI to MHL micro usb adaptor to arrive but have a feeling i wont have any luck.

in conclusion, are there any apps or adaptors that will essentially make the tablet into a HDMI monitor of some sort so i don't have to invest in buying more monitors when i have this perfectly fine tablet.

any tips/tricks and guidance would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Pete

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
i have a galaxy s10+ connected to a dex pad. i want to use my old galaxy tab 10.5 (model sm-T805Y) as a monitor via connecting a hdmi (from dex) to micro usb (to tablet)

all i have found on the net is how to display the tablet on a tv and using the app TwoMon to make the tablet a second monitor for pc and mac but nothing showing how to use the tablet as a monitor. is this even possible?

im still waiting for my HDMI to MHL micro usb adaptor to arrive but have a feeling i wont have any luck.

in conclusion, are there any apps or adaptors that will essentially make the tablet into a HDMI monitor of some sort so i don't have to invest in buying more monitors when i have this perfectly fine tablet.

any tips/tricks and guidance would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Pete
You can connect to the hdmi output of the dex pad into your tablet with the correct cable.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Are you sure? I wouldn't think you could use the tablet as a display accepting input from another device. Usually it would only be set up to output to a TV or other screen. That's like wanting to use the HDMI port on a laptop to use the screen to output from a cable box.

MHL may also be a one-way protocol.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You could try Duet Display, but I'm not sure if it'll work on the Tab S, since it requires Nougat or above.

EDIT: Oops, never mind -- that app is also only to make a tablet a 2nd display for Mac or PC, not for a phone.

pero_o

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
Hi peeps, i was the one who posted this thread. i appreciate you all helping me find a solution.

i am starting to look into screen monitoring apps so i can have my s10 in dex mirroring the display on the tablet. just looking into it now. id still prefer a wired connection to minimise any latency but open to it if there is no lag using the app.

i don't know if what i am about to say is frowned upon here and i don't know much about it, but could rooting the tablet and find an app or a turn on a setting to enable video IN be an option?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Could rooting work? Doubtful. There's a hardware complication in this, the controller/chips in the tablet are likely only going to be set up to send signal, not receive. It's not a software fix.

pero_o

Apr 9, 2020
Visit site
thanks Hallux. i sort of figured that. wasnt sure if it was a software or hardware limitation (or both). having said that, if it is hardware limited then software would be the way to go i guess.

iv seen apps like DSLR Controller which make your tablet/phone a monitor via hooking up USB to your camera. plus there are security camera apps that can make the tablet be used as a monitor so wondering if there is some form of app that will allow video input whether its via usb/wifi/bluetooth etc. if it is possible to do it through an app then im surprised there isnt an app available at the moment fully dedicating your tablet to be used as a portable touch screen monitor.

atm, looks like ill just have to buy another monitor and scratch the idea of using the tablet as a screen

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad