ASUS Chromebit CS10 - No sound via HDMI

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Recently my father lost audio from his ASUS Chromebit. The Chromebit has been connected to a TV via HDMI for several years functioning perfectly until a week ago when it lost sound. I have confirmed the TV is fine. All other inputs produce sound. What I found odd was when I tried to incrase the volume through the Chrome OS. See the pic for where I am speaking about. When I looked it showed the volume as ON (not muted), but volume set to 0. I grabbed the slider and increased volume. No change. When I reopened the panel volume showed 0 again. Even more oddly no device was shown as where audio output was going (empty red circle).

I tried a powerwash with no success. I did manage to get my Dad running again using a bluetooth speaker for now, but would like to find the problem.

Does anyone here have a tip?

002.png

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Is the device running a stable channel of Chrome OS, or one of the developer channels?

I am going to say it is running a stable channel. I did not check, but my Dad has no idea about the settings. He just uses it. I have never switched channels.

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
One thing i need to check it to plug the Chromebit in to another TV or monitor to see if I get sound. It is possible that the TV's HDMI port is faulty. At least then I can focus on the correct piece of hardware. Duh?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
One thing i need to check it to plug the Chromebit in to another TV or monitor to see if I get sound. It is possible that the TV's HDMI port is faulty. At least then I can focus on the correct piece of hardware. Duh?

Yes, definitely an important test to do. Also try a different cable, and/or plugging a different device into that TV.

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
There was not enough space around my Dad's other TV's HDMI slot for the Chromebit (CB) to be inserted. I thought i was screwed. I put it back in the the first TV. Still, CB did not recognize the TV speakers. I decided to check all the TV menus. The little TV was only ever used for this CB, but you never know. While in the TV menus I decided to do a full reset TV back to factory. When I did the CB recognized the speakers again WOOWOO!

Fixed. I should have done the above mentioned test first before bothering anyone here. My apologies for that.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! Also, thanks for not pointing out my silly suggestion of trying a different cable, since the Chromebit itself plugs into the HDMI port.:p

SJMaye

Feb 12, 2017
Visit site
Great! Also, thanks for not pointing out my silly suggestion of trying a different cable, since the Chromebit itself plugs into the HDMI port.:p

Would never have done that. It was simply an oversight from dealing with so many different devices. Thank you for your help.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87