HDMI and Android Market Film Rentals

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had success watching Android Market Rentals while using an HDMI cable to HDTV? Trailers played fine for me but when I went to play the movie, I only got audio, no video.
Unplugged HDMI and the video played fine.
Any thoughts on what's wrong?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
What is the HDCP status of all the equipment and does each piece recognize each other as HDCP approved?

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not really sure how to check. Two TVs: 3 year old samsung and a brand new visio. Couldn't get either to work.
Figure they should be compliant.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Is there any way to test compatibility without purchasing a movie? Cause once it starts playing (or not as has been my case) you're out of luck for a refund.

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I didn't. Haven't figured out another way to test it aside from renting another movie that I might again, not be able to watch.
Something comes up for .99 I'll look into it again unless theres an app that can simulate it.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Wish I could offer more help but I don't have a Prime to mess with but seems like something in the HDCP process since ur getting audio and trailers.

Blendercloud

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know much about this stuff, but had something I might suggest anyway. Do you guys think it could be an anti-piracy measure? Something that won't allow rented media to be played on other devices? Just a thought.

Or maybe it's Google's subtle way of pushing us toward GoogleTV! (sarcasm)

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know much about this stuff, but had something I might suggest anyway. Do you guys think it could be an anti-piracy measure? Something that won't allow rented media to be played on other devices? Just a thought.

Or maybe it's Google's subtle way of pushing us toward GoogleTV! (sarcasm)

What is HDCP?

HDCP stands for High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection, a copy protection scheme to eliminate the possibility of intercepting digital data midstream between the source to the display. The format designed by Intel and licensed by Digital Content Protection, LLC using an authentication and key exchange procedure before video and audio is presented. Products compatible with the HDCP scheme such as DVD players, satellite and cable HDTV set-top-boxes, as well as few entertainment PCs requires a secure connection to a compliant display, the process often described as the handshake. Due to the increase in manufacturers employing HDCP in their equipment, it is highly recommended that any HDTV you purchase is compatible. Although most video devices support high-definition video over component output, analog connections are scheduled to phase out in the future or possibly forced to limited resolutions output.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Will try on mine when i have some extra time next week. I saw somewhere that it was likely an HDCP thing and I looked up the specs to my tv to ensure that it is HDCP compatible. I know video works because I connected my prime and tried out Crackle.

stoneworrior

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I didn't. Haven't figured out another way to test it aside from renting another movie that I might again, not be able to watch.
Something comes up for .99 I'll look into it again unless theres an app that can simulate it.

Did you try streaming a you tube video? I have been watching you tube and this week in tech with the mediafly app and they both go through to my tv via hdmi no problem.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay... so I tried watching a movie I rented from the Market today via the HDMI out and had the same problem as the OP. Black screen with audio. No problem opening it on YouTube on my MacBook Pro and connecting that to the TV, though, so at least I could still watch. But it would be nice to be able to connect my Prime, as that was the whole reason I bought a microHDMI cable in the first place.

I have a Sony KDL46VE5, which is HDCP compatible, at least according to a google search of "KDL46VE5 HDCP," so I don't know what the deal is. HDMI out from the Prime worked fine with Crackle.