To buy or not to buy?

Bangkok Hound

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I found the Infinity at a decent price (at least for here- Thailand- about $600.) For those of you who own the Infinity, would you still buy it today?

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
YES! And I would unlock it and flash a custom rom on day one instead of waiting two months!

The TF700 is an ok tablet on stock rom with it's strong point being the fabulous keyboard, storage options and extra battery. The weak point is general lagginess especially in browsing - and that drove me nuts!

Running CleanRom Inheritance this tablet is bundled beauty and joy and very likely one of the best if not THE best tablet currently available.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Schafudd

Jan 25, 2012
Visit site
I would follow the steps from XDA. I have ever done anything like this and did it 2 nights ago in the matter of 2 hours.

Best thing I have done with the Infinity, so smooth now.

berndlb

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I'm a bit apprehensive about rooting as I've never done it before. But I googled CleanRom and came across this: How to flash CleanROM Inheritance ROM for the Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T

It seems very simple. Is this the way you did it?

Understable, that you are apprehensive! And a good place to start from! It's most often the gung-ho, devil-may-care type of user who makes mistakes and screws things up!
First: Get the tablet and then - IF you are unhappy with it's performance - start reading here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1833212

You'll probably have to read it more than once until you understand the process. Proceed only if you are confident you understand the necessary steps.
If you are unsure, ask on this or another forum before you do anything half-baked.

The guide you linked to is not bad, but describes the easy part of the flashing process and the version numbers of firmware and custom roms are outdated.

As a rough overview (the single steps are described well on the XDA forum):
You have to unlock the bootloader using the Asus Unlock tool. Unlocking will void your warranty.
You have to install a custom recovery like TWRP or ClockworkMod on your tablet.
Using the custom recovery you can flash custom roms to your tablet.

TBolt recently wrote up a pretty good summary of the process. I'll try to find it and add it as an edit later.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=2593013

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

tboneinkc

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
What a great ? guys... thats why I still have my HTC Nexus One because there is no bloatware or overlay, now ideally thats what all the new nexus devices are.. but being that you cannot purchase them with a bootloader or with a unlocked booloader.. if you were to look at my very first post of this site? (this being my second) the manufactures didn't write any of the software at all for these devices.. I've had to learn this the hard way with my Android Developer Phone 1 and my Nexus One. I now own the reflashing software for my device which comes straight from google sent to me from HTC, and is a 97.4 MB file and each time I apply it on the top of my sdcard as (passimg.zip) my entire phone no matter what build/rooted/unlocked/custom OS...
The Google Rom Utility Update I apply knocks my entire phone back down to the stock firmware/radio/baseband/recovery image that the device originally came with! (I've even bricked it once or twice and recovered it with no usb syncing or charging capabilities as well as looping issues.
The only reason why I say this is because this is the same software that if you had a "carrier based rom/phone" and you sent it in they would attempt to reflash it for a nominal fee, but what doesn't make a bit of sense is when I call these new manufactures of smartphones.. they act like they own the software when they dont. The worst part is I dont entertain root or flashing custom OS anymore, but I do push and pull data and can get stuck in ADB mode.. If anyone even cares to read my post they would understand that aside from ROOT ACCESS and CUSTOM ROMS as you call them? You still need the reflashing software from the manufacture if you find your device stuck in ADB mode (which essentially renders your phones USB port useless unless the device is reflashed) Just think about that real hard before you allow a company either "refurbish" or charge you a fee for software that isnt theirs.

aloha,
T~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez