t-mobile sim in media kit throttled.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This is more of just something I noticed , but it seems the prepaid T-Mobile sim with 1gb of data that came with the media kit is throttled to 8 - 9 mbps.

I put it in another phone to confirm its the sim , and my postpaid T-Mobile account gets about 40 mbps.

No big deal but for awhile there I thought there was something wrong with the phone that was limiting download speeds.

Just a weird choice to provide to reviewers.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yup, it's all over the T-Mo page (I recently discovered that, too!). Pre-paid plans are capped at 8Mbps. Weird, since they tout them as 4G data... and 8Mbps is barely 3G haha but OK. Yes, they do use LTE for that, but their speeds are throttled.

Like you say, what amazes me is that they send that to reviewers or maybe they expect reviewers to know the T-Mo policies in advanced? Or expect them to use their own SIMs? Who knows... still a weird choice.

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that has to do with the new Simply Prepaid plans. The lower-tier prepaid plans under that brand are in fact capped at 8mbps, much like you'll find on MetroPCS and Cricket. The Simply Prepaid plans also don't have other extra features like tethering, Data Stash or Music Freedom included.

In order to have "full" speeds on prepaid, you need to go with the higher-level (and more expensive) Simple Choice Prepaid, which include the other features. Just two different options — shame that they're kind of confusing.

t-mobile-prepaid-plans-compare.PNG

Prepaid Phone Plans | Best Prepaid Cell Phone Plans | T-Mobile

Andrew Martonik

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
So, Andrew, do you know why do they ship the lower end pre-paid to reviewers?

Sounds like they were just cheaping out a little bit on it (or were confused themselves when setting up media kits). Can't argue with "free" I suppose... though I'd think they'd want people to get the best speeds when they try it.

FWIW I got mine with no SIM and used my own :)

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I, um, don't seem to have that cap.

Screenshot_2015-05-19-08-21-48.jpg

I did get a warning that I used 80% of my 1GB high speed data limit and will be throttled to edge after that.

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
You guys should be happy, I don't even have T-Mobile coverage in my area to try it out.

Posted via the Android Central App

I wasn't really complaining , just thought it was an odd choice to give to reviewers. I didnt mind , just concerned me that their was a problem with the radio until I figured it out :)

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm on the $30 prepaid plan and am not throttled until i hit the 5GB 4G.

I'm also on the Wal Mart plan, and am aware of the 5GB limit. Was talking about the discussion in this thread about the top speed of lte on some T Mobile prepaid plans. 5 GBs of LTE at 8 Mbps is not the same as at 40 Mbps or more.

Posted via my Asus ZenFone 2 via the Android Central App

jpr

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm also on the Wal Mart plan, and am aware of the 5GB limit. Was talking about the discussion in this thread about the top speed of lte on some T Mobile prepaid plans. 5 GBs of LTE at 8 Mbps is not the same as at 40 Mbps or more.

Posted via my Asus ZenFone 2 via the Android Central App

And that's what I replied to, saying my speed is not throttled until I hit the 5GB limit.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I believe the preview units came with the $40 plans that are throttled at 8mbps. Had they known better, they could of gave out the Sims with the $30 plan (100 min talk and 5gb 4g) which would of been a better deal for everyone involved!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That is odd. I didn't use the SIM but that's odd that it throttles. I used my nano SIM from my S6. I just used a Media Devil SIM adapter.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to change the plan that came with the media kit and it's proving to be somewhat of a challenge, lol! I think it would be easier putting in a new sim.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer