Anyone pick one of these up?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if anyone had picked one of these up yet. If so, what do you think?

I was all set to get one yesterday, but I keep stopping myself because of the bezels. I'm concerned they might be too big and make the whole affair ugly.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I got one two days ago. I like it so far, aside from some unexplained phone slowdowns that have been happening since I paired it.

I think it looks nice, but I'm not picky about bezels, so YMMV.

dabombcra

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I got one two days ago. I like it so far, aside from some unexplained phone slowdowns that have been happening since I paired it.

I think it looks nice, but I'm not picky about bezels, so YMMV.

Do you have any other smart watch? I ask because I want to know how big the bezel is and how much it take up the screen

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if it helps, but here's a picture of my watch with the flash on so you can really see where the screen stops and the bezel begins.

Attachments

• 20151012_203024.jpg
    20151012_203024.jpg
    539.2 KB · Views: 83

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if it helps, but here's a picture of my watch with the flash on so you can really see where the screen stops and the bezel begins.

Do you mind taking a picture of the side so I can see the thickness? They don't have them on display at our Best Buy yet and I would like to see that part. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Halifax

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
The flash drives next to the watch in this one are only as thick as the metal part of any USB plug. It's about as thick as any watch I'm used to, I suppose.

Attachments

• 20151012_230305.jpg
    20151012_230305.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 82

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
The bezels actually look a little smaller to the original... Especially on the top.

Original ZenWatch 1 bezels:
67932b4a6039fdbdaaaaa3ad5510b93a.jpg

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I got one yesterday. It's pretty cool, bezels aren't bothering me like I thought they would. The strap/clasp SUCKS and is fairly uncomfortable imo. If I keep this I'll get different style bands with regular watch clasps.

Battery life seems kinda bad. I've only had the watch on since 6:45, it's 8:30 now and it's already down to 87%... Have not been fiddling with it that much. Seems really bad to me. At this rate I won't make it thru the day.

Also another problem: whenever I change my watch settings to priority only (to save battery) it turns my phone Do Not Disturb on. I can't figure out how to stop this behavior, it's driving me nuts lol.

Can't find any great looking faces yet and I refuse to buy any, so there's that.

I love how you can say"Ok Google" to make calls or send texts or whatever and it'll turn on the phone and start the operation, very cool!

Android Wear has lag and I find the card system ugly although it works. I vastly prefer Samsungs Tizen OS in so far as it's "prettier" and much much faster. Obviously minus Ok Google- which I would miss if I bought an S2 (I won't though because I find it too small and too expensive and I want Ok Google and Maps).

All in all it seems a decent offering and I'll give it a few days, but I'll probably be returning it due to the shortcomings I described above and I'll wait another year for Wearables to mature.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh and one other thing I just realized is that I'm no longer getting Google Now Cards on my phone... That's a big problem to me.

sk8mdw

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I spent the last year with a Note 3 (AT&T) and Samsung Gear 2 Neo. I've had the Zenwatch 2 for three days paired to an unlocked Nexus 6 on AT&T.

I prefer the Zenwatch in every way except battery life and the battery charger. The Neo was a 2 day battery (I charged it every other night) while the Zenwatch 2 is a one day battery (I charge it every night).

It came off of the charger at 7 AM yesterday morning and at midnight it was at 14%.

Off the battery again at 7 this morning and I am at 81% at 1:20 in the afternoon.

The charging cable is too short for my tastes, and I never like having a dedicated cable that is permanently attached to the wall wart. I prefer a cradle or a way to use one of the estimated 4000 micro USB cables that I have laying around.

The interface on the Neo was **** ugly in my opinion, but it was fast and battery efficient. I much prefer the Zenwatch graphics and interface.

The only issue I have had in these first three days is that the first two mornings when I pulled the watch from the charger it said "Zenwatch Manager is not responding". I rebooted the watch and went on my way with no issues. I did not have that message this morning when I took it off of the charger.

I got the bigger of the two sizes in gunmetal with the dark blue leather band. Comfortable to wear and easy to use. There is a lot of scrolling with pretty much any wearable but you do learn shortcuts. For instance if I scroll all the way to the bottom of my notifications, instead of scrolling back up just cover the watch with your palm and it will turn off. When it comes back on you are back to the watch face.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I spent the last year with a Note 3 (AT&T) and Samsung Gear 2 Neo. I've had the Zenwatch 2 for three days paired to an unlocked Nexus 6 on AT&T.

I prefer the Zenwatch in every way except battery life and the battery charger. The Neo was a 2 day battery (I charged it every other night) while the Zenwatch 2 is a one day battery (I charge it every night).

It came off of the charger at 7 AM yesterday morning and at midnight it was at 14%.

Off the battery again at 7 this morning and I am at 81% at 1:20 in the afternoon.

The charging cable is too short for my tastes, and I never like having a dedicated cable that is permanently attached to the wall wart. I prefer a cradle or a way to use one of the estimated 4000 micro USB cables that I have laying around.

The interface on the Neo was **** ugly in my opinion, but it was fast and battery efficient. I much prefer the Zenwatch graphics and interface.

The only issue I have had in these first three days is that the first two mornings when I pulled the watch from the charger it said "Zenwatch Manager is not responding". I rebooted the watch and went on my way with no issues. I did not have that message this morning when I took it off of the charger.

I got the bigger of the two sizes in gunmetal with the dark blue leather band. Comfortable to wear and easy to use. There is a lot of scrolling with pretty much any wearable but you do learn shortcuts. For instance if I scroll all the way to the bottom of my notifications, instead of scrolling back up just cover the watch with your palm and it will turn off. When it comes back on you are back to the watch face.

Oh yeah I forgot I hate the charger too. I have a hard time keeping it in contact even with the magnet it just didn't always line up correctly, and it is too short. Wireless charging is a must for a smartwatch imo.

Everything about this is just clunky. It's going back.

azjerry

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I had the original Zenwatch for a short while but returned it when I heard the ZW2 was about to come out. Battery life was terrible at first. I did several cycles of letting it run down until it shutoff and then fully charge. Each time it lasted longer and longer. By the time I started wearing it normally I had well over 24 hours, approaching 30-34 hours or so. Still not enough for 2 days of use but certainly enough for a good one days use. I expect my ZW2 to work similarly and, with the slightly larger battery over the ZW1, I think 2 actual days (maybe not a full 48 hours) is a possibility.

I agree the charger cable is too short. It works OK on my desk where I have an outlet strip behind my monitor but I doubt it will work well on my nightstand.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I still plan on returning it this weekend, but I have to admit, the more I use it the more I'm liking it. Especially the hands free calling and texting, specifically while driving. "Ok Google" to text or call is AWESOME and surprisingly fast and accurate.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I just upgraded from my original Pebble to the ZenWatch2. I really enjoy the functionality, but the battery life is killing me right now. This is my first full day with it and it was at 1% after 9.5 hours. I'm assume it will get better as the battery matures and I may try some of the tips in the "Poor Battery Life" thread.

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
... The strap/clasp SUCKS and is fairly uncomfortable imo. If I keep this I'll get different style bands with regular watch clasps. ...

One thing to consider. Leather bands usually take a couple weeks to break in (like most leather products). I agree that it was pretty uncomfortable when I first put it on, but it's a little better after just a day or 2. I'm going to give it a while and see how it changes before I swap it out.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
One thing to consider. Leather bands usually take a couple weeks to break in (like most leather products). I agree that it was pretty uncomfortable when I first put it on, but it's a little better after just a day or 2. I'm going to give it a while and see how it changes before I swap it out.

I agree, the leather band itself it's now much more comfortable to wear, but the clasp is ugly imo and I'm really just not a huge fan of leather dress band styles. I prefer thicker/wider styling if leather, but would rather use rubber or metal.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I am on day 3 after upgrading from my original pebble. There are definitely pros and cons to each watch. My battery life was terrible the first day but after I turned off WiFi on the watch it is actually really good. Had it off the charger from about 6:30 am until 10:30 pm yesterday and I was around 50%. If I turned the watch off overnight I could maybe get almost 2 full days. Definitely enough to at least get me through work the next day. Overall the functionality of Android wear is fine. I just need to get my notifications while at work as I am busy constantly moving around so I can't really have my phone sitting out and I usually don't feel it vibrate in my pocket. I have to say I love the look of the watch. Especially compared to my pebble which was just ugly. The bezels don't bother me. I use a black watch face so I barely notice where the screen ends and bezel begins.

leanneleg

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I have had mine now for 2 weeks and LOVE it! I got the rubber band which is totally comfortable and fits really well. The only drawback is that the light blue looks really dirty on the bottom where ti touches things. I have ordered a stainless steel mesh band much like the Milanese Loop one for the apple watch. Easy way to dress it up when I don't want the blue rubber one.

I too have really small wrists and find that unlike other smart watches that I have had in the past, this one fits well on my wrist and does not look like I am wearing my dads watch!

Mike Majeski

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had mine now for 2 weeks and LOVE it! I got the rubber band which is totally comfortable and fits really well. The only drawback is that the light blue looks really dirty on the bottom where ti touches things. I have ordered a stainless steel mesh band much like the Milanese Loop one for the apple watch. Easy way to dress it up when I don't want the blue rubber one.

I too have really small wrists and find that unlike other smart watches that I have had in the past, this one fits well on my wrist and does not look like I am wearing my dads watch!

Do you have a link to the steel mesh band you ordered? Curious, as I am thinking about picking up the smaller Zenwatch (with the light tan band from Best Buy) and want an extra band or two since it will likely pick up dirt.

Also, does anyone know if the Zenwatch 2 bands require a tool to change them? Read on one review that they are "quick release".

Last edited:

gerryex

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Do you have a link to the steel mesh band you ordered? Curious, as I am thinking about picking up the smaller Zenwatch (with the light tan band from Best Buy) and want an extra band or two since it will likely pick up dirt.

Also, does anyone know if the Zenwatch 2 bands require a tool to change them? Read on one review that they are "quick release".

I bought the smaller ZW2 from BB as soon as it came out and it fits my small wrist quite nicely. The band is only ok but I needed an expansion metal band and got the one shown below for $8 at Walmart and it fits and looks quite nice. The ZW2 uses standard watch band spring pins to attach the bands. The original band's pins have little nubs underneath that makes it very easy to remove or put back on but they are permanently attached to the original band. When you get another band it should come with standard pins which are a little harder to attach.

Gerry

Attachments

• ZW2 - 2.jpg
    ZW2 - 2.jpg
    322.1 KB · Views: 34

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty