ZTE AXON 7: an audiophile focused HTC Killer?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well pretty much everyone is doing that except the Nexus line. Can't really blame them for following the market.

Of course you can :p When everyone is doing something wrong that can easily cause damage to the device and/or user and/or their property, you can fully expect companies to buck the trend and do the safe and better thing. HTC and LG put out some dangerous devices and so is ZTE with this one. By the time they found out it was dangerous it was probably too late to back the truck up, but that doesn't change the issue - it just means they made a business decision to move forward anyways. That sucks.

It's not a deal breaker, everyone reading these forums has the potential to know not to use a charger that isn't designed for QC 3.0 with those phones and so can safely mitigate and enjoy the device - but for the general public it sucks, because they don't even know there is an issue to be mindful of, let alone the solutions. They definitely aren't aware that merely using the wrong charger can destroy their phone and/or start fires. The OEMs should have been smarter about this and followed the USB C and USB 3.0 or 3.1 specs accordingly. You can still get fast charging by following the specs, just not by using the Qualcomm method.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Actually, one could argue that it's safer for the general public because of the existing ecosystem of QC-compatible chargers out there that might not work properly with a USB-PD device (though frankly Joe Enduser would never think of using any charger with his phone except the one that came with it, trust me). And again, they probably have some really good reasons for going with QC over USB-PD. I don't know what they are, I seriously doubt they just flipped a coin. Even LG didn't do it, and they have actual hands-on experience making USB-PD devices from the Nexus 5X. I suppose I shouldn't get too off-topic in this thread, but I don't have a dog in this fight. I just figure there's a good reason WHY OEM's are avoiding USB-PD for now, instead of assuming it's some massive black-hat Illuminati conspiracy to hold back the glory that is USB-PD. ;)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My best guess so far is that Qualcomm might be discounting the SoC or even providing it for free if QuickCharge 3.0 is included and marketed. I totally made that up, but was the only thing I could think of that wasn't, "users specifically ask for QC3.0 in focus groups".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's going to be very difficult for me not to buy this device - maybe I can get one for a friend and just play with it for awhile then they can have it like 3 months later?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
Forget HTC, from the looks of it Axon 7 might surpass the next Nexus offerings too! Looks like Nexus has only bottom firing speakers...

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Forget HTC, from the looks of it Axon 7 might surpass the next Nexus offerings too! Looks like Nexus has only bottom firing speakers...

In all seriousness, if the Axon 7 ran stock Android and had the same 3450 mAh battery as my 6P and the new upcoming Nexus, I'd sell my 6P in a heartbeat for it. Those speakers are amazing. I just can't with a bottom speaker.

Posted via the Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
One of the rumors (no idea if it is true or not) is that ZTE was including a "stock" option for their software.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I am really tempted by this phone. 64 GB of storage, (about 52 free for the user) with the SD 820 and those speakers for $400? You can't beat that. The battery is 200 mAh smaller than the Nexus, though, and along with the speakers, battery life is most important. After using bloat-free stock Android, I don't know if I can go back to a skin. So tough...

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Based on what I've seen so far, people should consider this phone over the HTC 10 and OnePlus 3.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa