SD CM7 versus Root CM7

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I got CM7 installed on my Nook Color through the SD Card boot trick. It's cool. It even mostly works. I'm finding that it is PAINFULLY slow at doing most things. IMHO, it's really a horrible excuse for a tablet with it's poor speed and otherwise janky performance.
What kind of performance upgrade would I be looking at if I were to jump and run CM7 as a fully rooted device?

aklyz

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Could be the speed of the card, I can tell you that phiremod 7.2+ (CM variant) is insanely fast, battery life is through the roof and I'm with a few tweaks I'm running Tegra apps and all very smoothly. With all the new tablets out there I'm really tempted to jump for 2 reasons, no mic or camera, however after playing with everything from the 7" tab to the Xoom I cant find another android tablet that's as smooth as my NC.

roberto

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I am running CM7 internally (eMMC) but previously ran it on a SanDisk 16 GB Class 4 SD Card. The speed seemed pretty much the same, but installing updated ROMs is less of a hassle running it internally.

The consensus in several threads is that if you run on a SD card, SanDisk works best. it probably doesn't make as much of a difference when using the SD card for storage.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
That pretty much explains how cm7 works on almost anything other than a sandisk.

---
- Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk

AnimaTechnica

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok, so I got CM7 installed on my Nook Color through the SD Card boot trick. It's cool. It even mostly works. I'm finding that it is PAINFULLY slow at doing most things. IMHO, it's really a horrible excuse for a tablet with it's poor speed and otherwise janky performance.
What kind of performance upgrade would I be looking at if I were to jump and run CM7 as a fully rooted device?

Rooting and cm7 are two completely different things. Rooting meansyou are unlocking your stock is. Installing cm7 means you replacing the os with this custom version and it is a much much better experience with more cspabilities. Best to run it on internal memory rather than SD

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

myersw

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I am running CM7 internally (eMMC) but previously ran it on a SanDisk 16 GB Class 4 SD Card. The speed seemed pretty much the same, but installing updated ROMs is less of a hassle running it internally.

The consensus in several threads is that if you run on a SD card, SanDisk works best. it probably doesn't make as much of a difference when using the SD card for storage.

I agree with Roberto. I ran for some time from SD card, in my case a SanDisk 8 GB class 4. I am now running dual book with both CM7 and stock Nook running on emmc. I see very little dirrerence running CM7 on emmc versus SD card.
I love CM7 but wanted to be able to use the stock Nook Color for the better book/magazine reading suppor compared to the Android Nook app. Had download issues for some but not all books with the app. Using the stock Nook support I do not have any issues.

--bill

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Rooting and cm7 are two completely different things. Rooting meansyou are unlocking your stock is. Installing cm7 means you replacing the os with this custom version and it is a much much better experience with more cspabilities. Best to run it on internal memory rather than SD

Wrong rooting is gaining su (root) permissions on any rom or device. Cm7 is already rooted when you install it so you do not need to do anything to set it up like you do when you set up root on the stock OS.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

AnimaTechnica

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Wrong rooting is gaining su (root) permissions on any rom or device. Cm7 is already rooted when you install it so you do not need to do anything to set it up like you do when you set up root on the stock OS.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

Duh -- the point being one is custom rom that replaces bn and root is applied and retains bn

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Duh -- the point being one is custom rom that replaces bn and root is applied and retains bn

Yes, but that is not what you said. No worries, I said exactly the same thing initially because people throw terms around like they are inter-changable and then they have separate recovery instructions for CM7 devices and rooted stock devices which can confuse noobies.

bluger

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for the thoughtful and detailed responses.

I am using a 16gig Class 4 Sandisk micro SD. It sounds like my problem is not an issue of rooting and installing the CM7 ROM versus booting the ROM off of the SD Card. Any recommendations on what I might want to try to get the performance that you guys are enjoying?

(yes, I know the difference between rooting for superuser permissions and just plain booting off the SD Card).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty