From iPhone XS to S10+, Samsung/Android has finally arrived.

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
The display on the iPhone is also made by Samsung. Let's not kid ourselves like they made their own.

What does that have to do with anything? Companies contract other companies to make stuff for them all the time? It doesn’t change the fact that the build quality is still equivalent between Apple and Samsung.

Mr Segundus

Apr 24, 2018
Visit site
I might give up my iPhone XS Max/Apple Watch 4 LTE for an S10 5G or a Galaxy Fold. I don't like Android Auto. CarPlay is much more user-friendly. And I like the Apple Watch. But I really want that 6.7" display on the S10 5G, the latest internals, and the speeds. I'm in MSP and I'm sure some neighborhoods will have 5G on AT&T at some point this year. Those speeds are going to be insane.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
While you can argue that the devices Apple puts out are locked down being that you don’t have as many customization options, the vast majority of android users never really “customize” their phone short of throwing a default widget and a background picture.

I wouldn’t say Apple devices are overpriced at this point when both android and Apple offer pretty much the same capabilities. Yes you can organize the icons on the screen on android. But for me being both an android and an iPhone user I tend to lead more towards iPhone for a few reasons. One being the truly seamless integration of features that you just don’t get with android. Like messages, FaceTime, phone calls between devices, hell even AirPods are pretty darn seamless.

Android still has a long way to go to catch up to somethings Apple has done very well. I’m looking at all the multiple apps that come default on androids vs iPhones. Why do we need multiple internet browsers? Multiple email apps? Multiple messaging apps?

I would say build quality between the iPhone XS Max and the Galaxy S10+ is pretty close to equal, Samsung has a better display but the display on the iPhone is no slouch either.

I definitely prefer apples faceid vs any fingerprint scanner, it just works way better for me. I’d have a hard time moving back to fingerprint unlocking at this point.

Also the price point for the high end Samsung phones is pretty close to apples too.

how do you know what people do with their devices and how they look?

I Fail to see how you think apple devices aren't overpriced. They are badly ovepriced given how little you get feature wise. It's the same layout as it was 5-7 years ago and still has no spilt screen or picture in picture for example

and I'm sorry it's apple that needs to catch up to android now...they are so far behind in many areas. The amount you can get on and android devices is endless.

I don't see how price wise it's close unless you think apple charging 150-200 more is reasonable.

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
how do you know what people do with their devices and how they look?

I Fail to see how you think apple devices aren't overpriced. They are badly ovepriced given how little you get feature wise. It's the same layout as it was 5-7 years ago and still has no spilt screen or picture in picture for example

and I'm sorry it's apple that needs to catch up to android now...they are so far behind in many areas. The amount you can get on and android devices is endless.

I don't see how price wise it's close unless you think apple charging 150-200 more is reasonable.

What areas do Apple need to catch up on? Seriously... is there some glaring function on their phones that they don’t have that Samsung does? Okay they don’t have split screen or picture in picture. Personally I never even used those features on my note, if you use them all the time than it’s valid that the iPhone isn’t for you. If you want to state some features that iOS has that android doesn’t we can break it down for you because that ship sails both ways.

I’d venture to guess you haven’t even owned an iPhone in the past 5-7 years the layout has been a lot different since 2012-2013, they are realistically and without prejudice as good as an android phone these days. Once again you’re talking to someone who currently owns an iPhone and is running a pixel for a work phone and has a S10+ being shipped out next week.

Okay I’ll give you that I don’t have statistical data to back up that the vast majority of android users aren’t super into customizing, I have, observed anecdotal evidence from talking to people about their phones. Informal yes but I’ve yet to meet hardly anyone outside of the IT industry that even knows half the stuff their phone can do. That includes iPhone users.

dtones39

Jul 1, 2017
Visit site
The display on the iPhone is also made by Samsung. Let's not kid ourselves like they made their own.
Yes, they are made by Samsung (which is a separate division than than Samsung mobile), but Apple does calibrate the displays to meet their requirements. Just about every company that sells a product outsources for parts (including Samsung) vs developing, manufacturing, storing and shipping it themselves and that's not including research and development.

Notefan161

Jan 9, 2019
Visit site
What areas do Apple need to catch up on? Seriously... is there some glaring function on their phones that they don’t have that Samsung does? Okay they don’t have split screen or picture in picture. Personally I never even used those features on my note, if you use them all the time than it’s valid that the iPhone isn’t for you. If you want to state some features that iOS has that android doesn’t we can break it down for you because that ship sails both ways.

I’d venture to guess you haven’t even owned an iPhone in the past 5-7 years the layout has been a lot different since 2012-2013, they are realistically and without prejudice as good as an android phone these days. Once again you’re talking to someone who currently owns an iPhone and is running a pixel for a work phone and has a S10+ being shipped out next week.

Okay I’ll give you that I don’t have statistical data to back up that the vast majority of android users aren’t super into customizing, I have, observed anecdotal evidence from talking to people about their phones. Informal yes but I’ve yet to meet hardly anyone outside of the IT industry that even knows half the stuff their phone can do. That includes iPhone users.
Key areas

Picture in picture
Spilt screen apps
On screen widgets
Fast wireless charging
Fast charging
Always on display
Themes/icons for home screen
No files system
No screen quality adjustments from HD to QHD
Closing all apps in multitasking

These are all things 1k phones should have and this is just off the top of my head

I have the iPhone xs max so yes I do know what they are about.

The home screen has looked the same since the start of the iPhone.

Am I saying iphones are bad? No they are great phones but they are basic where you can't do anything great on it. On. The note and S series the things you can do on it is endless.

So no way in hell should they cost what they do

cornettbr

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Key areas

Picture in picture
Spilt screen apps
On screen widgets
Fast wireless charging
Fast charging
Always on display
No files system

These are all things 1k phones should have and this is just off the top of my head

Am I saying iphones are bad? No they are great phones but they are basic where you can't do anything great on it. On. The note and S series the things you can do on it is endless.

You’re saying that they can’t do anything great on the iPhone. Is adjusting the screen quality or having on screen widgets really that much of a defining detail of doing something great vs being basic?

How about how the iOS system does do things android doesn’t do well:

Messaging integration, I can get messages on my phone, then sit down on my computer keep messaging, then go for a run and answer texts from my watch. That alone is worth an extra 100 to me.

FaceTime- built into the software and I think you can conference with like 30 people? Pretty useful.

Measuring app- built into the software this is something I use regularly at work and it’s pretty accurate

Built in qr code scanner

Security - this is pretty unquestionable at this point

Activity reports for managed accounts- have kids? Want to make sure they aren’t spending too much time on the phone

3D Touch - actually really useful

Offload- you can delete apps without having to delete app data

Software updates - pixel is pretty much the only android phone I’ve used that does regular updates when new software comes out. We will see how Samsung is with the Galaxy S10+ but security updates used to be pretty sorely lacking.

Just saying there are other useful features that both platforms should pick up on, it doesn’t make one better than the other or one cheaper and not worth as much as the other. Both are great platforms. Definitely need to stop all the platform bashing in here. It’s definitely not something that goes on as frequently in the other forum, and if it does happen it’s usually shut down immediately.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Key areas

Picture in picture
Spilt screen apps
On screen widgets
Fast wireless charging
Fast charging
Always on display
No files system

I agree, they shouldn't cost what they do but you're really paying for their ecosystem. Thing here is, you can get that ecosystem on any of their iPhones, so if you can't afford the $1,000 XS, you can get an iPhone 8 or XR. That being said I still think the iPhone 8 and XR are overpriced! This is where apple is behind, charging what they charge for an LCD display is not acceptable. Not when Samsung is charging that same price for a 1080p amoled display. People are still using iPhone 6/7/8's because they won't spend for the XS and won't leave the ecosystem so they are stuck. Good thing about apple is they support updates to their devices for 5 years, but to be stuck in the Stone age of smartphone tech isn't fair to me.

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Android still has a long way to go to catch up to somethings Apple has done very well. I’m looking at all the multiple apps that come default on androids vs iPhones. Why do we need multiple internet browsers? Multiple email apps? Multiple messaging apps?

Because people want different things? I don't use Samsung's browser. I downloaded Chrome (maybe it was already on there, I don't remember for sure). I used Samsung's message app for awhile and am trying out Google Messages right now. I've never used Samsung's email app, and yes, I wish I could disable it. But Android acknowledges that people have different needs and that one size does not fit all. I had an XS Max for about six months prior to getting my S10+. I did love FaceID. I liked Facetime because I have two granddaughters with iPhones (I still have an iPad Mini though). Other than those two things, I'm thrilled to be back with Samsung.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

It's called having options. It's a beautiful thing really!

bbfanatic11

Apr 5, 2016
Visit site
I myself have been a dual user of Samsung and Blackberry for 17 years and then moved to iPhone to give it a try because I was always bashing it. That was after the Note 7 explosion, so the mobe was not by choice might I add. However I felt the S10+ was the device that was going to bring me back to the fold and I just can't put the phone down! The screen is beautiful, the size is perfect, the UI is smooth and effortless, the customization is endless, I could go on!! People are literally mad and jealous that I switch phones so frequently and are forcing themselves to look into upgrade options now that I'm back over on the Android side of things. I have a feeling this bad boy is going to be with me for the long haul. It feels good to be home! Back where I belong :)

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Messaging integration, I can get messages on my phone, then sit down on my computer keep messaging, then go for a run and answer texts from my watch. That alone is worth an extra 100 to me.

Are you saying you can't do that on Android? I can with Google messaging and I believe many messaging apps allow the same integration. I can also answer texts from my watch.

Measuring app- built into the software this is something I use regularly at work and it’s pretty accurate

Built in qr code scanner

Does it matter if the apps are built in?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Key areas

Picture in picture
Spilt screen apps
On screen widgets
Fast wireless charging
Fast charging
Always on display
No files system

My conclusion on iPhones are that they are meant to “get out of the way” and simply be a conduit for the apps. Whereas Android allows the user to make the phone hers/his with customization the iPhone is meant meant to “disappear” so-to-speak behind whatever app you’re using. The iPhone is mostly/simply a vessel for its apps. This is all a lot of folks want which is why Apple hasn’t changed their formula. The iPhone, a simple, easy to use, reliable vessel for apps. Perhaps my assessment is incorrect. If you like to customize you’ll be bored. If you just want to focus on your apps and have ease of use, you’ll be pleased.

sfla99

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Actually the screen technology Apple employed via Samsung’s help is quite impressive as they roll the display into the phone sort of like the shape of a paper clip and that’s how their edges are so smooth and equally contoured.

It’s an interesting thing about the screens, the iPhone XS defaults to 2436x1125 @458 PPI, while the default of the S10+ is FHD+ 2280x1080.

Now granted this can be changed to the much higher WQHD resolution but it’s an interesting choice to default to 1080 and while those on this forum are enthusiasts and would know to change this setting the majority of average consumers will continue using their S10s at 1080P.

Last edited:

NIZMOZ44

Feb 3, 2018
Visit site
Actually the screen technology Apple employed via Samsung’s help is quite impressive as they roll the display into the phone sort of like the shape of a paper clip and that’s how their edges are so smooth and equally contoured.

It’s an interesting thing about the screens, the iPhone XS defaults to 2436x1125 @458 PPI, while the default of the S10+ is FHD+ 2280x1080.

Now granted this can be changed to the much higher WQHD resolution but it’s an interesting choice to default to 1080 and while those on this forum are enthusiasts and would know to change this setting the majority of average consumers will continue using their S10s at 1080P.
It's still an s7 edge old display in technology. This was proven a year or so ago. Samsung wont use their best displays on their competition.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It's still an s7 edge old display in technology. This was proven a year or so ago. Samsung wont use their best displays on their competition.

While this may be true, I wonder how many customers care. I’m using my XS Max today and the display doesn’t leave me wanting any better. I may be the exception but I’m more than pleased with the XS Max’ display. If I weren’t also an S10+ owner I would not be drawn to the HDR+ that it has. They both offer displays that are arguably better than most need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC