what to install for best functionality RIGHT NOW?

intently

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hey all :)

I've spent the past few days playing with Honeycomb on my new Nook Color. I'm very impressed by all the work people have done!

However, I'm going on a trip soon with my two-year-old and I'd like to set my Nook up with the most functionality possible before we leave. I've skimmed the forums, but it's not obvious to me what I should do.

a) Keep Honeycomb? But there are lots of apps that don't work, and I haven't been able to play video successfully yet.

b) Restore the B&N stock OS and root it?

c) Install Nookie Froyo?

If someone can tell me the "best" setup for my immediate needs I'd appreciate it greatly! (And a link to the instructions, in case I can't find what you refer to.)

Arupaeo

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
For me, rooting the stock seems like the way to go when considering using the device with a toddler on a trip away. This gives you the flexibility to run additional aps with pretty much hassle free operation.

I have a toddler myself, and can't imagine him responding well to me saying something like, "hang on buddy, Daddy has to sideload a different apk before the system is stable enough to watch the Backyardigans." Know what I mean?

And you can always keep HC on a card and load it up after your kid is asleep...

Last edited:

intently

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Rooted stock and run something for yourself on the SD card?

Why would I want to run something else for myself? It's not entirely clear to me what I get running, say, Froyo that I can't do with rooted stock.

(Sorry if these are dumb questions. I've read the stickies but didn't find this information.)

Arupaeo

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean, yes :) Although getting my daughter exposed to the joy of hacking early would be a nice benefit....

So is this the best place to go?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/bar...turn-your-nook-color-1-1-0-stock-re-root.html
I believe that would be the one.

As to why you might want to run a different OS for yourself... it basically comes down to your preference for user interface and your tolerance for ambiguity/frustration in using a less stable platform.

I like to tinker, so I've got a bunch of different cards with different OS builds. The more I break, the more I know!

ganovim

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Rooted stock 1.1 in emmc and Froyo 0.6.8 on sd card.
Both are solid and can use the OC kernels, and you can toggle the Boot
without removing the sd card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenw0419