My Samsung S4 battery is suddenly draining (about 4 months old), has my battery gone bad already?

A

AC Question

Samsung s4 battery suddenly draining (about 4 months old)

My battery used to last a couple of days. Two days ago, it started requiring to be charged after only about 15 hrs.

I do not use it for much. I spend very little time online.

Last night I turned off the wifi and the battery still drained.

Could my battery be going bad already?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung s4 battery suddenly draining (about 4 months old)

Yes, it could. What do your battery usage stats show?

Posted via the Android Central App

SherIn65

May 31, 2015
Visit site

screen 8%
android system 3%
android OS 3%
device idle 2%
wifi 2%
cell standby 1%

SherIn65

May 31, 2015
Visit site

"What about wakelocks? Can you post a screenshot of your battery graph that shows awake, charging, wifi, etc?"

How would I do that? I don't use it much. I have seen some screenshots on other postings here but have no idea how to do that on my phone. I'm on this forum from my PC.

SherIn65

May 31, 2015
Visit site

Background: This is my first smartphone. I only make calls, text, check fb, and occasionally use google to look something up. I have downloaded a couple of apps that I rarely use, if ever. I have taken some photos and a couple of videos. I do not have any music loaded.
That said, a smartphone is kind of wasted on me so I think having these battery problems is odd.
The phone did a system update a few weeks ago but the battery seemed fine after that. The problem has been just the past two days.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

"What about wakelocks? Can you post a screenshot of your battery graph that shows awake, charging, wifi, etc?"

How would I do that? I don't use it much. I have seen some screenshots on other postings here but have no idea how to do that on my phone. I'm on this forum from my PC.

You aren't sure how to post the screenshot or what screenshot I am looking for or both?

You would need to be on your phone posting since the screenshot is coming from the phone.. Jus easier.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Yep. We need a screenshot of your battery usage stats not just right now, which is what you may have sent above, but after a day's normal use.
We also need the wakelock info. As Kelly has suggested, there's a good chance that that is what is draining your battery.

Check B. Diddy's screenshotting guide:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

Posted via the Android Central App

SherIn65

May 31, 2015
Visit site

I downloaded a couple of battery investigation apps but they haven't told me anything. I need to figure out how to take a screenshot, how to post it here and what wake locks are and how to find them. I'll be back. Off to do some research.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I downloaded a couple of battery investigation apps but they haven't told me anything. I need to figure out how to take a screenshot, how to post it here and what wake locks are and how to find them. I'll be back. Off to do some research.

We need this battery picture, with the graphs at the bottom.

Uploading screenshot instructions are in belodion's post above.

Taking a screenshot is done by holding the home and power button at the same time until you hear the screenshot taken.

Attachments

• 1433137294530.jpg
    1433137294530.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 3

SherIn65

May 31, 2015
Visit site

Screenshot_2015-06-01-07-38-39 (2).jpg

This is it. I went to bed with 100% charge and woke up to 54%. I had my son look at the phone this morning and he said he cannot figure out any reason for the fast battery drain. My daughter has the same phone and said hers did that for a while and then went back to keeping the charge after an update. I wonder if something updated and caused the problem. I hope it will fix itself.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

I see no reason for the drain. I would set WiFi to not scan and turn off when asleep (in advanced WiFi settings) other than your WiFi, the phone is sleeping well.

Did you clear cache or reset after the update to lollipop? How long ago did you update to lollipop?

SherIn65

May 31, 2015
Visit site

I have never cleared the cache.

The lollipop update was a couple of months ago.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Ok, first try wiping the cache. I'm going to give you step by step instructions.

Hold and don't release these buttons. When I first started doing this, I found it easier to do without a case on the phone.

Press and old power
Press and hold volume UP (make sure it is up)
Press and hold power

It is awkward, but you can do these together. I do each one, in the above order.

The phone will boot and vibrate. You will see some blue text in the upper left. It will boot into recovery, not the normal boot.

Use the volume button to click and scroll down the list to wipe partition cache. Hit power when that is highlighted, to choose.

When menu pops back up, use power to choose reboot.

See how that does with your battery for a couple of days. If that doesn't help, I would suggest a factory reset in the same mode, you will see that listed. Of course back up anything before the reset, as it will wipe the phone and make it just like it is out of the box.

You won't lose anything with the cache wipe.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty