Droid Bionic: Apps That Are Safe To Remove Once Rooted

celticfdguy

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I followed these instructions and removed the bloatware I was able too... a few questions though.

I could not find VzWBAService.apk, VzWBAClient.apk and VzWBAClient.odex, sypebourbon.apk, zumocast.apk and vcast.apk... Why is this?

Also - can I safely remove the following? If so, what are the associated APK files?

Books
Citrix (The apk in the OP thread didnt remove it)
DLNA
Guided Tours
Help Center
Mobile Hotspot
Motoprint
News
Talk
VCast Media Manager
VCast Tones
VZ Navigator

csparrow55

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Need some help please. Trying to get my phone ready so I can do the ota update. Previously, I accidently deleted HTML viewer on my rooted/stock Bionic. Per your instructions, I grabbed HTML viewer.apk and HTML viewer.odex and moved to system/app using root explorer. Mounted and set permissions (owner read write, group read, others read). When I try to install the apk, the package installer gives message "application not installed". Tried several times with same result. Have tried to read your instructions carefully. I do have "unknown sources" checked in my phone settings. Am I missing a step?

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know what the APK is for "Verizon Video" bloatware? It keeps showing up in market updates, I don't want it and want to either freeze or move it.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Anyone know what the APK is for "Verizon Video" bloatware? It keeps showing up in market updates, I don't want it and want to either freeze or move it.

Not sure what the apk is.. but its weird you're getting it, I don't have it on Purity and it hasn't asked to download or update or anything as long as I've been on the ROM.

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah me neither. Somethings fishy. I went all the way back to stock 886 to flash the new radio and kernel, then reflashed purity base and ic3br3ad tpak. Didn't do any restores from cwm nor tibu, but still had some vcast junk and this Verizon video thing pops still in my market.

Sent from my [P]URIFI3D Droid Bionic

slave13

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone tell me just where the mobile hotpot apk is want to remove it I use another app instead
and I don't want it on my phone

liljay98

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Moved apk's; Still showing up as running and icons

I successfully moved the apk's AND renamed them, but I noticed that the apps are still showing in my menu and gotomeeting is still showing as running. This is true even after restarting the phone. Any thoughts? I have a Droid Bionic running 2.3.4

Thanks,

Jared

android123456

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
Need, help...

Thank you... followed everything step by step.

Only issue I have is Citrix Reiceiver still showing in APPS. I moved the .apk to my bloat folder on my sdcard-ext. How can i get rid of it. I moved GoToMeeting too, no issues there.

Also where is Lets Golf 2? I want that gone.

Thanks

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Can we flash the AllBionic_APPS.zip through safestrap recovery if we need to put bloat back? or do we need to push them to system/app with root explorer?

*Edit: I ended up pushing them to system/apps with root explorer and changing permissions. It would be nice to no if this is flashable instead though.

Last edited:

Salty_Dog

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the Root Explorer app, and can see the bloatware, but when I click on one the only options I see are Install, View, and Cancel. I do not have an option to Move.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I must be doing something wrong. I downloaded the Root Explorer app, and can see the bloatware, but when I click on one the only options I see are Install, View, and Cancel. I do not have an option to Move.

If it is in a zip file it needs to be extracted first in root explorer before you can move it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Salty_Dog

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
If it is in a zip file it needs to be extracted first in root explorer before you can move it.

No, they are .apk files.

I am supposed to be doing this move on the Bionic itself, and not through the PC, right?

Specifically, I rooted the device using the MotorolaOneClickRoot.exe program. (I think it worked correctly).

Then, using the Root Explorer app, I browse to \system\app

Then I see a whole bunch of .apk and .odex files. I select one (The Blockbuster.apk for example) and it opens a dialog that says:

Package Installer
This is a package installer. What action would you like to perform?
Install - View - Cancel

Nowhere does it say Move. Am I even in the right place?

BTW. I am a total newbie at this.

Last edited:

Salty_Dog

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
OK.

So now I tried a different rooting tool. This time I got a whole bunch of errors along the lines of:

cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

Help!

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
OK.

So now I tried a different rooting tool. This time I got a whole bunch of errors along the lines of:

cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

Help!

Are you trying to freeze bloatware or add it back to your device? It's not good to totally remove bloat, its better to freeze it with an app like titanium backup or anttek app manager. If you open root explorer or titanium backup and superuser asks to "allow" and it let's you gain superuser access then you have root.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
If your are on build 893 or below then 43v3r root is probably a better method to root the bionic.

themagicm

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
I've went thru the list and froze apps with TiBackup Pro... so in theory this should make my phone run quicker if the apps are automatically running on boot?

Thanks for the writeup also. :)

Last edited:

porkshanker

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Looking for some help - running liberty rom and need to put the stock VVM app back somehow. I have tried installing the orinal apk with no success. Any help will be apprieceted.

Stelv

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
You need to put the apk for VVM into system/apps with root explorer and then change the permissions as listed in OP. I am not sure if it will work with a custom rom or not. Haven't tried it myself on a custom rom.

porkshanker

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
You need to put the apk for VVM into system/apps with root explorer and then change the permissions as listed in OP. I am not sure if it will work with a custom rom or not. Haven't tried it myself on a custom rom.

thanks for the reply -

yes I have tried doing the root explorer copy and permissions with no success.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana