Uninstalling Bloatware Apps

tapenick

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think this is my first post on this forum so, hello! I'm new to the world of rooting phones, but have a good bit of sys admin/scripting/programming experience on Unix, Linux, and Windows so hopefully I can follow along.

I would just like to uninstall / delete some of the bloatware apps on my Bionic. As far as I can tell I have to gain root access to do that, but there doesn't seem to be a reliable way to do that at the moment? I keep finding threads with good instructions then the next reply will be "didn't work" or that it worked but then the phone updated and wiped it out. I feel like I'm missing something basic.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You can follow those guides, but updating a device to a newer, official upgrade will usually make you lose root. If you're familiar with jailbreaking on an iDevice, it's the same concept. New OS, new jailbreak method.

Once you root, however, make sure you don't delete anything essential for your phone to work properly. Some bloatware is actually needed.

tapenick

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've reviewed the sticky about what is safe to uninstall. So is there a reliable way to root a stock Bionic with Jellybean (4.1.2)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non