BlackBerry Mercury With 3GB of RAM and Android 7.0 Spotted on Geekbench

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
BlackBerry Mercury specifications leaked via benchmark: Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM, Android 7.0 | AndroidPure
BlackBerry Mercury With 3GB of RAM and Android 7.0 Spotted on Geekbench

bbb100-1 - Geekbench Search - Geekbench Browser

The BlackBerry Mercury runs on Android 7.0 Nougat, and is powered by an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon processor (which Rquandt says is the SD625), clocked at 2.02 GHz. The Soc comes with an Adreno 506 GPU,

The device has 3GB of RAM, and managed to score 913 points in the Single-Core score, and 5047 points in the Multi-Core score.

(reposted from CrackBerry, by gng11)

420lyfe

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
It's a shame. Here we go again with mediocre specs. I simply do not understand why Blackberry has to keep making sloppy spec devices... snapdragon 625? 3gb ram? This is getting old. It's going to be very slow for me. Personally, I could never handle something this low spec. Dtek50 has very similar specs right? I can't see why they just never want to upgrade... it's a bummer. I really love BB and I wish that they knew how to keep their specs up to date... I mean even the Priv has better specs for God sakes... such a shame. I hope one day BB comes out with a good spec device. Looking forward to it.

gebco

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I hope one day BB comes out with a good spec device. Looking forward to it.

If this phone comes out it will be BlackBerry's last. That being said, it will perfectly meet the needs of my wife and daughter who are not gamers but appreciate the pkb.

DJM626

Oct 18, 2015
Visit site
It's a shame. Here we go again with mediocre specs. I simply do not understand why Blackberry has to keep making sloppy spec devices... snapdragon 625? 3gb ram? This is getting old. It's going to be very slow for me. Personally, I could never handle something this low spec. Dtek50 has very similar specs right? I can't see why they just never want to upgrade... it's a bummer. I really love BB and I wish that they knew how to keep their specs up to date... I mean even the Priv has better specs for God sakes... such a shame. I hope one day BB comes out with a good spec device. Looking forward to it.

When this phone was first talked about and first announced it was made known this was going to be a mid tier device. That being said it shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone at this point . That is why it's going to be lower priced as well.

Even with specs like this I'd the software and hardware are optimized this could still turn out to be a good choice in handsets for those who maybe want to spend a little less and for those who do not care about specs of a phone

420lyfe

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
When this phone was first talked about and first announced it was made known this was going to be a mid tier device. That being said it shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone at this point . That is why it's going to be lower priced as well.

Even with specs like this I'd the software and hardware are optimized this could still turn out to be a good choice in handsets for those who maybe want to spend a little less and for those who do not care about specs of a phone
Right. I can see that and I would understand that if the phone has something else to offer other than the keyboard. On android it's going be quite slow indeed.

I guess I wasn't aware of the announcement because this is certainly news to me. What also surprises me is that a mid tier device costs $4-500+... so let's be honest with ourselves here... that doesn't sound like a mid tier device price range. You could get so many better devices with the same price you would be willing to put down on a Mercury. Don't get me wrong I love BB... I just simply wish that they made better devices for decent price. It's really time now that they do something like that. Based on their history, you never really see that. Sure they are great with their own OS BB10 but not with Android... it's just not happening for me.

Might as well buy a priv for $250 on ebay.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Right. I can see that and I would understand that if the phone has something else to offer other than the keyboard. On android it's going be quite slow indeed.

I guess I wasn't aware of the announcement because this is certainly news to me. What also surprises me is that a mid tier device costs $4-500+... so let's be honest with ourselves here... that doesn't sound like a mid tier device price range. You could get so many better devices with the same price you would be willing to put down on a Mercury. Don't get me wrong I love BB... I just simply wish that they made better devices for decent price. It's really time now that they do something like that. Based on their history, you never really see that. Sure they are great with their own OS BB10 but not with Android... it's just not happening for me.

Might as well buy a priv for $250 on ebay.

I think you're confusing 625 with 615. 615 was the piece of crap.

Go check reviews on the Moto Z Play for a perspective on what 625 will perform like. It's getting rave reviews all around with monster battery life. I'm sure battery life will be a key feature.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand the mentality about "if it's not high end, it won't be future proof".

Almost every single mid-range device I see performs like the flagship from a year ago, and still holding up just fine. Heck, I see people still using 1st gen Moto Gs.

skstrials

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site

That is the form that I would have preferred instead of the PRIV slider. I don't need a big screen.

Having said that, wouldn't the PRIV still be a faster phone with an 808?

Also, while the keyboard itself is great. The rest of Android apps cannot make use of the keyboard shortcuts that are possible with physical keyboards, like in BlackBerry 10.

I would love to see a Web browser that can take advantage of the physical keyboard.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
That is the form that I would have preferred instead of the PRIV slider. I don't need a big screen.

Having said that, wouldn't the PRIV still be a faster phone with an 808? .

The 625 is more power efficient, newer and on paper slightly slower in performance but I don't think users will notice a difference. It's a very capable processor. :)

A droid a day keeps the Apple away

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
But people will still complain it's not an 800-series chip, thus "not flagship".
And they'd be right when the rest of the alleged specs are considered, but the Moto Z Play is midrange and most people are saying it performs the same as the Moto Z (and had better battery life). The midrange OnePlus 3T is one of the fastest devices on the market. By no means does midrange default to meaning bad.

ToniCipriani

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
And they'd be right when the rest of the alleged specs are considered, but the Moto Z Play is midrange and most people are saying it performs the same as the Moto Z (and had better battery life). The midrange OnePlus 3T is one of the fastest devices on the market. By no means does midrange default to meaning bad.
Well somewhere along the lines it has been engraved into peoples' minds that anything isn't a flagship is bad.

You should see the boneheads over at CrackBerry keep insisting only BB10 can run midrange (read: they only support S4 Pro or 801) but anything Android requires flagship hardware.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well somewhere along the lines it has been engraved into peoples' minds that anything isn't a flagship is bad.

You should see the boneheads over at CrackBerry keep insisting only BB10 can run midrange (read: they only support S4 Pro or 801) but anything Android requires flagship hardware.
lol should show them the Android One lineup, or even just the Nexus 5X.