Struggling to find a suitable phone

lambada24

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I've been looking for a phone that meets all my requirements for months and am not getting anywhere. So I thought I'd ask you guys to suggest any models you think would be suitable. Here's what I want....

• Multi-colour LED notification light
  • Originally released with Android Pie (not simply upgradeable to it)
  • 128GB ROM and 4GB RAM or better
  • Flat (not curved) screen
  • No wider than 75mm
  • Currently available or to be released by end of May 2019

Most modern phones fail to meet the LED criteria, which is a deal-breaker to me. The Huawei Mate 20 comes close to what I want but is simply too wide. The Mate 20 Pro is narrow enough but has a curved screen.

Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Pixel 3 (68.2 wide). There's an LED, but it's kind of puny - if you don't know where it is, charge the phone in a dark room and you'll see the red light.

It comes with Pie, Q beta is already our (I'm running it on my 2), and you'll get updates for 3 years (from about October 2018). Fantastic camera too. Flat screen. It comes in a 128GB version with 4GB of RAM. The 3XL is just a hair over your width spec (76.7), but you go from a 145.6 mm length and a 2915 mAh battery to a 158 mm length and a 3430 mAh battery.

lambada24

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Pixel 3 (68.2 wide). There's an LED, but it's kind of puny - if you don't know where it is, charge the phone in a dark room and you'll see the red light.

It comes with Pie, Q beta is already our (I'm running it on my 2), and you'll get updates for 3 years (from about October 2018). Fantastic camera too. Flat screen. It comes in a 128GB version with 4GB of RAM. The 3XL is just a hair over your width spec (76.7), but you go from a 145.6 mm length and a 2915 mAh battery to a 158 mm length and a 3430 mAh battery.

Thanks for the tip. Did some quick research on the Pixel 3's LED notification light and discovered that it is not reliable at all. Users complain that it doesn't always work and is difficult to see when it does work. Best to give it a miss.

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Apparently the S10E's camera ring light can only be used as a notification light with the help of 3rd party apps. Do you happen to use such an app on the S10E that you can recommend?
I am sorry. I own a Pixel 2XL. Which does have an LED, a flat screen and can come in a 128GB option, but is 18 months old technology.

But I have been tempted by the Samsung S10.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I think you are going to struggle to find something that hits all your requirements. If you can relent on one requirement there might be a lot more options. I think the Huawei Mate 10 Pro is less than 75mm wide, has a great LED notification light, has 128GB ROM and 4+ GB RAM and has received Android Pie update.

Good luck.

lambada24

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
No I haven't found anything yet. If my current phone stops working completely ill go for the Mate 20 pro or Sony XZ3. Would have to live with a curved screen in that case.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
No I haven't found anything yet. If my current phone stops working completely ill go for the Mate 20 pro or Sony XZ3. Would have to live with a curved screen in that case.

I think the Mate 20 Pro would be a good choice. I've heard wonderful things about it.

As far as the curved screen goes, it may take some time but by looking at reviews and ratings on products (look here, especially), I'm sure you'll be able to find a decent screen protector.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exoduss