Cheap Chromebook $200 Budget

walterg5

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
When my Acer C720 reached EOL, I started looking for a replacement.
Because of photo editing I was doing I got a laptop instead.
I miss having a chromebook. So with a low budget of $200 I'm looking
for a something for web browsing and
watching Netflix, or Hulu, etc.

Acer Spin 311, or Cb311 comes to mind.
The Chromebook can be new, refurbished or gently used.

I haven't been following the Chromebook market that closely lately, so any suggestions are welcome.
Don't care which brand, but EOL is important.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Absolutely, the Lenovo Chromebook Duet is a great versatile device that works well as both a Chromebook and pseudo-Android tablet. It comes in a 64 GB and 128 GB SSD version, with the bigger one retailing for $249 at Best Buy (although it sometimes goes on sale for around $230 or so). You might be able to find the 64 GB version for closer to $200, but since you can install Android apps, I'd recommend the 128 GB version for most people. This Chromebook is scheduled to get updates through June 2028.

You may also want to watch for the upcoming ASUS CM3, which is very similar to the Duet, but comes with its own USI active stylus, and I think is supposed to start at around $260: https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Chromebook/ASUS-Chromebook-Detachable-CM3-CM3000/

walterg5

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, the biggest negative with the Duet is it only has a single port with no headphone jack. So to use headphones you need to use an adapter in the only port.
The one thing I'd like to know is all reviews talk about movement with the keyboard. How bad is this.?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're trying to use it on a lap, it's mildly annoying, but I've still typed on my lap without real difficulty. Basically not much different from using a Surface Pro on your lap. I've never had a problem using it on a flat surface.

The single port is definitely a disadvantage, so if that's important, I'd look into a good USB-C hub as well.

walterg5

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
Like to see the reviews on the Asus CM3 when it comes out. Single usbc port, but it also has a headphone jack.
If the keyboard connection is better, it would definitely be on my list. Price depending, of course.

DroidudeAZ

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I definitely agree. If you can pick up the 128 GB Chromebook Duet on sale for around $230, thats the way to go. I have one and love it. Battery life is really good as well. 15-17 hours on a charge. I've never killed my battery in one day.

preppystud

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
i bought my scratch and dent acer r 13 for about 203 dollars, ebay gave me $10 coupon. i was checking acer certified web site daily, but somehow those prices are more expensive than they put on ebay. this one was selling about 220 on its own web site.

i like acer certified because they have 30 days full refund and 90 days repair service. it is better than buying it from a private seller.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I agree -- I got the Acer Chromebook Tab 10 from the Acer Recertified Store a couple of years ago, and it continues to work well.