Bionic, SGSII, Prime, now Vigor?

rkeller62

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
I've been waiting for the Bionic for a long time. The SSG2 is the first phone that has made my eye wander. ( The other 2 are too far off at the moment to do that.)
The road map in the first post has them both with the same release date. I'd say go to a Verizon store and play with both phones and then decide. That's what I'll be doing .

I am not sure that the Samsung phone listed for release on the same day as the Bionic is an SGS2 derivative. Interestingly, the Aegis code name that is listed on the leaked information appears to be a type of tablet or netbook if you try and Google search for Samsung Aegis.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
I am not sure that the Samsung phone listed for release on the same day as the Bionic is an SGS2 derivative. Interestingly, the Aegis code name that is listed on the leaked information appears to be a type of tablet or netbook if you try and Google search for Samsung Aegis.

Yes, but if you believe the roadmap, it also has "4G Smartphone" for the Stratosphere. So, it's not a tablet or netbook (again assuming that the roadmap is accurate). But, that's the big question ... what is the Stratosphere? I sure hope it's the GSII, unless, of course, the GSII drops before then. ;)

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
You sir could not be more correct. I agree with ALMOST everything here except:

While Moto did say they would have the Bionic to us in Q2 they were speaking of the Etna. This project was scrapped as we all know. This is just like announcing a product and a few months later saying "We gave it our best shot but it just wasn't going to work as expected." To keep a bad phone from market and potential damage to the brand, it never released. I would not call this a "serious delay", it's more of a "Our original design was bad, let us make you something better." This is when they moved to name to the Targa which was always expected to be released around Q3.

I don't think a lot of people realize that by the time a product, ANY product, in the electronics industry hits the shelf it is already "old and outdated" by anywhere between 3-6 months. By the time said product is tested, mass produced, shipped, stocked, and sold another wave of technology is created, tested, and submitted to device manufacturers.

Case in point: Processors - We were just hearing about the Bionic at CES, this great phone with an amazing dual-core processor. If I remember correctly, a few weeks later, Nvidia was talking about their quad-core line of processors. We hadn't even seen a dual-core phone on the market yet and a company is telling us that ANY of these phones will be "old and outdated." There is ALWAYS something better in the works. If you keep waiting for the "best phone" you will never get it.

Depending on what talk about the Prime is when the Bionic/GSII launch is I will be buying one of the 3. Prime if it is close to the same time as the other two, Bionic if the GSII is not LTE, else GSII.

BTW, I don't think anyone would crucify you. You presented a very well thought out response and did not attack anyone.

Yeah I agree with that completely actually. I realize that it wasn't actually a delay in the product and I think they made a very smart decision in scrapping a phone that they knew would have a lot of problems. As a consumer I am glad that they had the foresight to not release a product that was not finished, while other companies seem to do this very often.

The main thing that I meant by it being a "serious delay" is that the consumer views it as a serious delay. It would been a different thing entirely if Motorola had openly said that the phone had a lot of issues and that they were going to completely scrap the project. Instead they said that the were changing the design based of feedback from CES and moved the name to a completely different phone. By not telling everyone that they were getting rid of the Etna and rebranding the Targa with the Bionic name they made it seem like a delay to the public. To everyone that is more involved in the community we realize that it is not actually a delay so to speak, but to the general customer this looks like the phone was delayed for three months.

Yeah technology is progressing at a blinding rate atm, and I think that it is causing problems for the manufacturing companies. They are releasing phones in very quick succession because they know the android consumer cares a lot about cutting edge technology. This gives them pretty much no time to optimize their software to their hardware and is leaving to sluggish phones and software that is very buggy.

I appreciate not being crucified :p

mjforte

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I never said that the GS2 is a bad phone, I just want people to stop trashing the Bionic when they've never seen or played with one in person. Everyone is so quick to judge a phone that hasn't even released. You can't even judge Verizon's GS2 yet either because we don't know if it'll be another Fascinate or not. I'm all for everyone picking the best phone for them, just don't hate on another person's phone preference before you've actually tried that phone. We should be getting along, after all they are all Android phones.

Reactions: jroc

MasterGiraffe

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I never said that the GS2 is a bad phone, I just want people to stop trashing the Bionic when they've never seen or played with one in person. Everyone is so quick to judge a phone that hasn't even released. You can't even judge Verizon's GS2 yet either because we don't know if it'll be another Fascinate or not. I'm all for everyone picking the best phone for them, just don't hate on another person's phone preference before you've actually tried that phone. We should be getting along, after all they are all Android phones.

I completely agree. I was defending both sides. People shouldn't be trashing either phone because no one knows what either phone is like. This is going to be a decision, at least for me, that is made by going to the store and playing with the phones for 15-20 min each. When it comes down to it they are going to be very similar in terms of specs, but they will probably have a very different feel to them. It all will come down to personal preference.

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
Or the iphone lol

Well.. technically we've already picked on the iPhone..... We've been leaving blackberry and Win-phones alone (save for a few brief jabs)... Make sure though, that if you are going to poke fun at W7 phones or the iPhone... that you're doing it in a way that references the bionic so the Mods can't say we're off topic :):):)

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Well.. technically we've already picked on the iPhone..... We've been leaving blackberry and Win-phones alone (save for a few brief jabs)... Make sure though, that if you are going to poke fun at W7 phones or the iPhone... that you're doing it in a way that references the bionic so the Mods can't say we're off topic :):):)

I was telling my friend about how I was waiting on the Bionic and he owns an OG Droid. He was trying to tell me that iPhone was way better than Android in like every way, and I was surprised, but he was mostly stating things that were a problem with HIS phone, and not Android itself. His phone is a few years old, ask anyone with an older iPhone and they'll say yeah we got problems too. Phones aren't supposed to last even the two year agreement, that's how they make you buy another one.
And with all the improvements from the OG Droid to now I can pretty much say that Android has surpassed iOS in every way. He just won't understand that until he buys his crappy iPhone 4, hates it, and then wants my Bionic. By that time there'll be newer phones coming out and he'll probably get a better phone than me lol.
I just named off lots of things just hardware wise that I hated about the iPhone and the Bionic was going to be better with. 4G LTE, bigger screen (which, just like every other Apple fan is like ewwww big screen too big omg end of the world), bigger resolution, bigger camera, bigger battery (or so I'm told :p), faster CPU, the list goes on. And I could make a pro cons list for both Android and iOS that would be forever long. But in the end, Android is actually leading the pack with software (wtf is up with no flash in-browser, that doesn't make any sense) and iOS and the iPhone in general is trying to play catch up to the hardware and software of newer Android devices.
He also says there's new android phones out like every day, typical argument. New iPhone only once a year. That's a BAD thing, because Apple doesn't update the device THAT much with every new iPhone. Look at the beginning of the year and now in Android phones, there was a gigantic leap in just a few months. Apple has to spend an entire year building up a new phone? And when the released the iPhone 4, they still weren't up to date when it was released. I like the phone, but I can't stand the software.
And to throw in a small opinion about Windows Phone 7 before this rant becomes any longer, I was actually considering getting one at one time...but they didn't have any Verizon models when I was looking at it. And they only have one right now, which I don't like very much. I think the OS just needs another year or so under it's belt, and it'll be up there fighting some ground with iOS and Android.
Blackberry is just outdated, simple as that.
End rant...

GBH2

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I was telling my friend about how I was waiting on the Bionic and he owns an OG Droid. He was trying to tell me that iPhone was way better than Android in like every way, and I was surprised, but he was mostly stating things that were a problem with HIS phone, and not Android itself. His phone is a few years old, ask anyone with an older iPhone and they'll say yeah we got problems too. Phones aren't supposed to last even the two year agreement, that's how they make you buy another one.
And with all the improvements from the OG Droid to now I can pretty much say that Android has surpassed iOS in every way. He just won't understand that until he buys his crappy iPhone 4, hates it, and then wants my Bionic. By that time there'll be newer phones coming out and he'll probably get a better phone than me lol.
I just named off lots of things just hardware wise that I hated about the iPhone and the Bionic was going to be better with. 4G LTE, bigger screen (which, just like every other Apple fan is like ewwww big screen too big omg end of the world), bigger resolution, bigger camera, bigger battery (or so I'm told :p), faster CPU, the list goes on. And I could make a pro cons list for both Android and iOS that would be forever long. But in the end, Android is actually leading the pack with software (wtf is up with no flash in-browser, that doesn't make any sense) and iOS and the iPhone in general is trying to play catch up to the hardware and software of newer Android devices.
He also says there's new android phones out like every day, typical argument. New iPhone only once a year. That's a BAD thing, because Apple doesn't update the device THAT much with every new iPhone. Look at the beginning of the year and now in Android phones, there was a gigantic leap in just a few months. Apple has to spend an entire year building up a new phone? And when the released the iPhone 4, they still weren't up to date when it was released. I like the phone, but I can't stand the software.
And to throw in a small opinion about Windows Phone 7 before this rant becomes any longer, I was actually considering getting one at one time...but they didn't have any Verizon models when I was looking at it. And they only have one right now, which I don't like very much. I think the OS just needs another year or so under it's belt, and it'll be up there fighting some ground with iOS and Android.
Blackberry is just outdated, simple as that.
End rant...

I could talk for hours about the stuff you mentioned, lol - but I will just make a couple of points. Apple makes a nice product but I could never buy an iphone - their entire philosophy of what a phone should be (locked down, simplistic, itunes) is the antithesis to what I want in my personal communications device.

When the Droid came out and had a better resolution than the iphone all the iphone users said "resolution???, who cares about resolution?? iphone has the right resolution 'cause apple says so.- too much resolution is bad for you!" Then when the "Retina" dislays came out all the iphone users said - "SEE - we have more resolution than YOU - Apple rocks!" LOL. Apple buyers believe whatever apple tells them. If it is not Apple then they don't want it or care. - "I want the one with the larger GeeBees"

WM7 - I was a WinMo fanboy. Before the Droid I had an HTC Touch running WM 6.5 w/ custom ROMs. This was before Apple invented smartphones, lol. Everyone bashed WinMo, but I didn't think it was that bad. It certainly needed a lot of work and needed to be designed more touch friendly and it needed some good hardware to run on. Yet, for all of it's flaws, it was still a far more full featured mobile OS than iOS on the first iphone. I would never have jumped ship and switched to Android if Microsoft hadn't thrown WinMo under the bus, and then taken years to come out with a partially functional iOS wannabe. Microsoft blew it, I will never go back and I think they have grown too fat and are simply incapable of competing in the hyper-fast changing mobile space.I think they will only manage to capture a "Zune-like" portion of the mobile market.

Last edited:

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I could talk for hours about the stuff you mentioned, lol - but I will just make a couple of points. Apple makes a nice product but I could never buy an iphone - their entire philosophy of what a phone should be (locked down, simplistic, itunes) is the antithesis to what I want in my personal communications device.

When the Droid came out and had a better resolution than the iphone all the iphone users said "resolution???, who cares about resolution?? iphone has the right resolution 'cause apple says so.- too much resolution is bad for you!" Then when the "Retina" dislays came out all the iphone users said - "SEE - we have more resolution than YOU - Apple rocks!" LOL. Apple buyers believe whatever apple tells them. If it is not Apple then they don't want it or care. - "I want the one with the larger GeeBees"

WM7 - I was a WinMo fanboy. Before the Droid I had an HTC Touch running WM 6.5 w/ custom ROMs. This was before Apple invented smartphones, lol. Everyone bashed WinMo, but I didn't think it was that bad. It certainly needed a lot of work and needed to be designed more touch friendly and it needed some good hardware to run on. Yet, for all of it's flaws, it was still a far more full featured mobile OS than iOS on the first iphone. I would never have jumped ship and switched to Android if Microsoft hadn't thrown WinMo under the bus, and then taken years to come out with a partially functional iOS wannabe. Microsoft blew it, I will never go back and I think they have grown too fat and are simply incapable of competing in the hyper-fast changing mobile space.I think they will only manage to capture a "Zune-like" portion of the mobile market.

Lol it's funny because you're right, Apple fans listen to Apple and not to real tech people. All real tech people don't really like Apple products because you're buying less tech for more money. And it's all locked down and such. I hate that the only way to do anything really on your iPhone is through iTunes, that just really bugs me. Sure it's easier for like music and such, but it's the worst music library system I've ever seen. I think even Windows Media Player has a better way of organizing your music library.
My other friend who is a gigantic Apple fanboy has told me also that I should buy an iPhone over the Bionic. "4G doesn't matter. Big screens are annoying. Android is terrible. Blah blah blah I know nothing about either operating system really at all." He also thought that I could shoot his band playing on his iPhone and it would look as good as my DSLR, yeah right. Well his big thing with Android that he continually keeps trying to get me at is that "you can't sync your iTunes to Droids." Duh. And they're Android phones, Droid is a product line dummy :p. I don't use iTunes because I don't own Apple products. So I don't have to worry about this. I told him this and he's like "well how do you put music on your Android device?" Do you know anything about software?! He basically told me that there's no such thing as other music managers. Windows Media Player COMES with Windows, but maybe you don't know that because you only have a bunch of Macs. And your Macs suck too.
As you can tell, I'm surrounded by Apple fanboys that don't understand why the Bionic (or any Android phone for that matter) is so much better than the iPhone. I'm buying this phone over an iPhone because of people like this. So I can rub it in their faces and show them things that they can't do or my phone does better. Standard thing to do to Apple fanboys.

LDawg07

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Bionic does look pretty sweet. Just not sure about M.A.P. This would be my order.
1. Nexus Prime
2. SGS2
3. Bionic
4. HTC Vigor

HTC is trying to do way to much.

DefectiveWeeble

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
As you can tell, I'm surrounded by Apple fanboys that don't understand why the Bionic (or any Android phone for that matter) is so much better than the iPhone. I'm buying this phone over an iPhone because of people like this. So I can rub it in their faces and show them things that they can't do or my phone does better. Standard thing to do to Apple fanboys.

Haha. So true! My friend saw my Droid X and was playing with it. When he was done he looked down at his iphone and said "I should have gotten an android phone" I just laughed.

mylasthope

May 13, 2010
Visit site
if these other dual core 4g phones reply come out around the same time as the bionic, then moto was the only manufacturer to skip making a single core 4g phone while not getting their out significantly earlier.

On a different note, I really hope the leak is accurate. I checked out a dx2 and the I could clearly see the pixels :/.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Haha. So true! My friend saw my Droid X and was playing with it. When he was done he looked down at his iphone and said "I should have gotten an android phone" I just laughed.

I just told another one of my friends how awesome the Bionic is compared to his iPhone and he just said "I don't need any of that stuff yet." YET is the key word. He doesn't need it until Apple says so, typical Apple fanboy lol.
My friend showed me his X, and my other friend showed me his Incredible while we were in Florida for a conference, I was hooked on getting an Android phone after that. A lot of my friends have iPhones and they just don't feel as nice.

Asterdroid

Fanboi
May 10, 2011
Visit site
Lol it's funny because you're right, Apple fans listen to Apple and not to real tech people. All real tech people don't really like Apple products because you're buying less tech for more money. And it's all locked down and such. I hate that the only way to do anything really on your iPhone is through iTunes, that just really bugs me. Sure it's easier for like music and such, but it's the worst music library system I've ever seen. I think even Windows Media Player has a better way of organizing your music library.
My other friend who is a gigantic Apple fanboy has told me also that I should buy an iPhone over the Bionic. "4G doesn't matter. Big screens are annoying. Android is terrible. Blah blah blah I know nothing about either operating system really at all." He also thought that I could shoot his band playing on his iPhone and it would look as good as my DSLR, yeah right. Well his big thing with Android that he continually keeps trying to get me at is that "you can't sync your iTunes to Droids." Duh. And they're Android phones, Droid is a product line dummy :p. I don't use iTunes because I don't own Apple products. So I don't have to worry about this. I told him this and he's like "well how do you put music on your Android device?" Do you know anything about software?! He basically told me that there's no such thing as other music managers. Windows Media Player COMES with Windows, but maybe you don't know that because you only have a bunch of Macs. And your Macs suck too.

Best way to handle apple fans is show them Tasker. Unless they have a tough time grasping any technology in which case the iphone is honestly a better choice for them.

swarlos

Trusted Member
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Myself and one of my other friends who's a big android enthusiast we team up agaisnt our other friend who is a major iPhone fanboy. He gets hostile and majorly defensive when his precious iPhone is dissed. Its hilarious so we just do it more. :)

Sent from my Ginger.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Apple buyers believe whatever apple tells them. If it is not Apple then they don't want it or care. - "I want the one with the larger GeeBees"

I don't think technologically-savvy Apple buyers truly believe everything Apple tells them. They will, however, rationalize any flaws/missing features by telling themselves (and others) whatever they need to to make things right in their heads. Users who aren't as savvy are another case. There was actually a recent study done saying a surprising percentage believe that their iPhones have 4G capabilities because it is called the "iPhone 4G."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa