Skype with Video working on my Droid Bionic

kales002

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
>>> This was a workaround for Skype before it was awailable on Market. There is Skype that supports the Bionic on Market now. Thank You all. <<<

I got Skype to work with video on my Droid Bionic by doing the following:

1 Uninstall all Skype versions on your phone.

2 Install the modified version of Skype found here xda-developers - View Single Post - Skype 2.1.0.46 (v11) / fixes, extra features & more!

3 Sign in to Skype and on the main page hit the menu key (on your phone) then go to Advanced Settings.

4 Check-mark the option Use valid preview surface

5 Once back and on the Skype main screen hit the menu key (on your phone) and go in to Settings (Regular Settings this time) and check-mark Enable video calling

Enjoy your video calls on your phone.

I have tested this on mine and it works Phone to Phone or Phone to PC. Both cameras are working.

Credits go to theos0o from XDA developers and gazan1204 from droid forums

Last edited:

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I got Skype to work with video on my Droid Bionic by doing the following:

1 Uninstall all Skype versions on your phone.

2 Install the modified version of Skype found here xda-developers - View Single Post - Skype 2.1.0.46 (v11) / fixes, extra features & more!

3 Sign in to Skype and on the main page hit the menu key (on your phone) then go to Advanced Settings.

4 Check-mark the option Use valid preview surface

5 Once back and on the Skype main screen hit the menu key (on your phone) and go in to Settings (Regular Settings this time) and check-mark Enable video calling

Enjoy your video calls on your phone.

I have tested this on mine and it works Phone to Phone or Phone to PC. Both cameras are working.

Credits go to theos0o from XDA developers and gazan1204 from droid forums
Sounds like a good fix until Skype officially fixes it. Now, have you tried Bionic to iPhone though? I want to rub my awesomeness in all my iOS brethren's faces as much as I can for the next few months lol.

kales002

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
:) I have not. I managed to convert all my friends to android. I dont see why it shouldn't work but if someone has tried i would like to confirm. Thx

ChevyNovaLN

Jul 24, 2011
www.ChevyNovaLN.com
:) I have not. I managed to convert all my friends to android. I dont see why it shouldn't work but if someone has tried i would like to confirm. Thx

I haven't done what you did, but my friend that has an iPhone4 'asked' me to install Tango, and that works just fine for video calls on my Bionic. I made a call with him yesterday using it. It was a brief call cuz neither of us want to see eachother haha, but it worked fine.

Reactions: echo59

kales002

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Tango works just fine. It is also supports more android phones then Skype when it comes to video. I like Skype cause it works on computers (tango will soon though) and it seams that everyone i know internationally uses Skype...

I have used Tango on my Droid X, Galaxy Tab 7" and Thunderbolt and it worked fine. When it comes to Video quality i cant say if there is a difference since they were different devices.
With Skype i was able to view the video on a big screen. It looks real good.
Back camera is better then some PC cameras out there. And front is not bad at all considering its only 1.3 megapixels.
I saw a thread talking about Video calling Preferences i'm sure they discuss this in detail.

Reactions: Randall@Tango

scottfree

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey killerg. Want to impress your iPhone friends? Put your phone in a dock our cup holder or something and do video chat while driving. I just did. :-D

thegadgetguroo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
You have to follow the instruction that kales put. Its a few posts above.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I tried to download the. apk file as instructed. I completely uninstalled Skype on my phone but I keep getting download unsuccessful when I attempt to download file. Is anyone else having this problem?

B-RAN

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I haven't done what you did, but my friend that has an iPhone4 'asked' me to install Tango, and that works just fine for video calls on my Bionic. I made a call with him yesterday using it. It was a brief call cuz neither of us want to see eachother haha, but it worked fine.

I can't get Tango to verify my phone...I get the text message doing so but I still get errors, and calls wont go out. Strange.

kales002

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I tried to download the. apk file as instructed. I completely uninstalled Skype on my phone but I keep getting download unsuccessful when I attempt to download file. Is anyone else having this problem?

I downloaded the compressed .rar file to my computer first. Extracted the .apk file. And then copied it to my phone.

I just tried downloading directly to my phone using Opera Mini browser, downloading from MultiUpload server (the first one in the list), and it worked just fine.
Just to confirm i also did it with the Browser that comes with the phone and that worked as well.

Not sure if this helps. Maybe the server was down at the time you tried to download.

Good luck ;)

Runinintowalls

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You have to follow the instruction that kales put. Its a few posts above.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Where does kales mention this error or a step that would help avoid it? I am getting the same error after following the instructions above. You cant get past the login page and thus can not get past step 3.

Randall@Tango

Apr 15, 2011
support.tango.me
I can't get Tango to verify my phone...I get the text message doing so but I still get errors, and calls wont go out. Strange.

Hi B-RAN,

If you can receive the SMS, but still cannot verify your account, please ensure you are not using*a third party SMS application (e.g. Go SMS). These types of applications disable your device's native SMS application which is*necessary*for Tango*verification. Please disable this application and request the SMS once more.

In the future, please visit Tango Support Center

Thanks! :)

debonu

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
@kales002 Thank you for posting this!! It works great! And now I can video chat with my daughter at bedtime while traveling, awesome! :)

-D

Reactions: kales002

stuatc

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I am still having issues with Skype. When I receive a call, I can see the caller and a small window of my phone's camera (myself) BUT when I initiate a call, I can only see myself on the Bionic and I can't see the person I called. Any advice appreciated.

KillerG

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Got this installed and tried it out with my parents today...works great, over wifi. I don't get a good enough 4G signal at home to really try it, and I've been trying to charge the battery for a while, so I don't dare take it off the charger again.