How do I get translation working on calls with Pixel 8?

tony123

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
in the publicity 'On Pixel phones, Live Translate works across text, camera, videos, podcasts, phone calls, video calls, and audio messages.'
It works with whats app , you tube and messaging, But I cannot get it to work on phone calls. Live captioning shows test in the spoken language but no translation is offered. How do I get translation working on calls ?

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
On my p 8 pro, open settings, use search bar to find live translate then turn it on...should work from there...

tony123

Mar 14, 2024
Visit site
I have live translate turned on , but when recieving a call in french, there is no translation. If I use captions I can see the french as text, but captions cannot be translated in a phone call

Amthebigdog

Mar 5, 2024
Visit site
Gene Roddenberry was so far ahead of his time. Too bad he didn't live to see his ideas take root. I think it's safe to say her be proud. And Those TV execs never thought the show would never be a hit. I've always liked the idea of the universal translator but always thought it was still years away from becoming a reality. We have the communicator and the universal translator. Can't wait for the phaser to go on sale.

Reactions: jbjtkbw007

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
Yeah, @Amthebigdog, NQ, he was way ahead, in many, many ways, some of which weren't super obvious when I was a kid watching, but now I'm quite proud to say I was (maybe am) a Trekkie...
I guess with the advent of the satellite stuff rolling in, you could say we're there, or at least close, on the communicator. Not so sure about the phaser, that seems a bit iffy to have out there on any scale...
He only passed in 2021 (he probably had some idea of where most of this was at), which was sad, but I was truly bummed about Nimoy. It's getting kinda' slim on the OG at this point. Doohan posthumously got launched into space so many times I lost track ;-]

Reactions: Amthebigdog

PGrey

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
For the OP, @tony123 , I'm pretty sure you want Interpreter Mode, not Live Translate (seems like a pretty confusing way to name a feature(s)):

I sort of wonder how much lag there is here, given the response of GA in general, but if you need to talk to someone, whether on the phone or perhaps in-person (definitely Star Trek here), seems like any assistance, with reasonable accuracy, is better than a mix of gestures and handful (if you're lucky) of shared words...
I've fiddled around a bit with these, both out of curiosity and because I occasionally end up in a situation where language is a bit of a barrier and have had better luck with Microsoft Translator, although I don't know if it supports call functionality. Google seems to have more offline languages as well, which could be a factor, depending.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amthebigdog