My simple tweaks for Bionic battery life...

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I fully understand the battery issues out some people are having out of the box. But I thought I'd share what I've found... That adjusting the settings just a bit made worlds of difference.

My first day with the phone (and extended battery) = 100 to 5% in less than 5 hours.

Tweaking most apps in task manager to die after 2 minutes, changing emails and social media from constant push to every 15 mins, and changing the bluetooth to only turn on when in the car dock, and yesterday went from 8 AM to 10 PM going from 100 to 71%. Both days were in 4G area the whole time.

Granted, I wasn't doing as many installs, but I was still playing around with it all day. Before one returns the phone for battery, I would definitely try the changes above....

0pusX

May 27, 2010
Visit site
To me.....having to change email to every 15 min rather than push totally defeat the purpose..... why should i not get push notifications just to save battery life. Not worth the trade off IMO.

Cigar-Junkie

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I am impressed with your results and still using 4G. I never used social media. I am also curious as to why every 15 minutes on email would be a savings over push.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

prizeferret

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I am impressed with your results and still using 4G. I never used social media. I am also curious as to why every 15 minutes on email would be a savings over push.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

My thought was to eliminate anything running a constant scan, since other than phone/text, other forms of communication are not critical to be up-to-the-second (and I can always force updates if I am expecting something).

Removing the constant scans (including bluetooth) seems to reduce the workload on the battery tremendously, while still keeping myself online in 4G for all spur-of-the moment activities.

I should also add that I have all 3 GPS services activated. But by making sure the apps are in the task manager kill list, even if I leave an app open accidentally, the GPS gets shut down within 2 minutes, and my battery doesn't get nuked.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Android is pull not push.

Gmail may push but I don't use it. I use K-9 Mail and for my email accounts (I have many) that I need checked every minute I set it that way. Some I need every 15, some every hour.

To me.....having to change email to every 15 min rather than push totally defeat the purpose..... why should i not get push notifications just to save battery life. Not worth the trade off IMO.

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
How do you change the social media settings? I don't care if they check every 5 hours since I don't care about them.

Bluetooth doesn't take many resources unless it's connected. Same with Wi-Fi. Both negligible for the scanning.

I fully understand the battery issues out some people are having out of the box. But I thought I'd share what I've found... That adjusting the settings just a bit made worlds of difference.

My first day with the phone (and extended battery) = 100 to 5% in less than 5 hours.

Tweaking most apps in task manager to die after 2 minutes, changing emails and social media from constant push to every 15 mins, and changing the bluetooth to only turn on when in the car dock, and yesterday went from 8 AM to 10 PM going from 100 to 71%. Both days were in 4G area the whole time.

Granted, I wasn't doing as many installs, but I was still playing around with it all day. Before one returns the phone for battery, I would definitely try the changes above....

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Wifi is a definite killer of batteries and more than likely be off unless at home.

Think about this. Driving down the road your phone picks up one signal, tries to connect, can't because it is out of range, finds another tries to connect... Wash rinse repeat. Maybe the scanning itself isn't a big deal, though I disagree with even that, but the constant failure to connect certainly is.

I have my wifi setup for the places I go the most. Home, work, certain hotspots and if I am not in any of those places, it is off. Why have anything at all drain the battery even a little?

Charged up post!

Reactions: bpadamson

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Actually no. It does not try to connect to every wifi source it finds. It will let you know there are available ones to connect to if you choose.

So leaving it on does not take any significant amount of battery. The searching is like like GPS which has to reach out - it's passive. It's absorbing.

Now my question is does leaving the 3g/4g radio on really make a difference if you're running wifi? Don't you use one or the other?

Wifi is a definite killer of batteries and more than likely be off unless at home.

Think about this. Driving down the road your phone picks up one signal, tries to connect, can't because it is out of range, finds another tries to connect... Wash rinse repeat. Maybe the scanning itself isn't a big deal, though I disagree with even that, but the constant failure to connect certainly is.

I have my wifi setup for the places I go the most. Home, work, certain hotspots and if I am not in any of those places, it is off. Why have anything at all drain the battery even a little?

Charged up post!

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Android is pull not push.

Gmail may push but I don't use it. I use K-9 Mail and for my email accounts (I have many) that I need checked every minute I set it that way. Some I need every 15, some every hour.

Actually, not true. I use Maildroid to push my IMAP Yahoo email. Works like a charm.

bplewis24

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
You'll find it under Battery & Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Social Applications

What exactly does this stop? Which apps?

I didn't set up any social media applications, but I downloaded the FB for Android app from the Market and set up that account, which I believe is treated as a 3rd party app, right?

Brandon

LDubs

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
It does have ads but they're unintrusive. You can buy pro version or use adfree if you're rooted. The ui in my opinion is way better than k9 and the dev is great, constantly updating both for fixes and requests from users.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

SSHGuru

Banned
Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So I should take a perfected program like K-9, change to MailDroid which is still being fixed up and pay $17.99 (you read it right) to get rid of ads.

Cold day in hell.

It does have ads but they're unintrusive. You can buy pro version or use adfree if you're rooted. The ui in my opinion is way better than k9 and the dev is great, constantly updating both for fixes and requests from users.

dajobo

May 19, 2011
Visit site
What exactly does this stop? Which apps?

I didn't set up any social media applications, but I downloaded the FB for Android app from the Market and set up that account, which I believe is treated as a 3rd party app, right?

Brandon

Im curious to an answer on this as well.