question regarding battery status

Rosika

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
Hi all, šŸ‘‹

My smartphone is a "Samsung Galaxy A04s" and its OS is Android 13.
ItĀ“s pretty new and I take good care of the battery. So the battery itself shouldnĀ“t be the issue.

This is the scenario:

In the evening, before going to bed, I put the phone on plane mode, so that it wouldnĀ“t unnecessarily ping the cell tower. The next day I switch it on by double tapping the screen. So it itsnĀ“t completely switched off overnight, just in "standby".

I realized that despite being idle for 20 hours the battery level drops by 4% to 5%.

But thatĀ“s only the case after having charged the phone to 85% (or 100%). I.e.. after having it "fully" charged.
This behaviour is also seen in the "middle" regions of the battery level (60% or 50%). ThereĀ“s always a battery drain of 4% to 5%.

However:

when the battery level reaches the lower regions, like 30% or so, the battery drops by just 1% overnight (within the same time span of 20 hours).

I wonder why the battery seems to lose more of its capacity in the upper and middle regions of battery level, but not when itĀ“s in its lower regions. ThatĀ“s curious. šŸ¤”

Now: if I switch the phone completely off, i.e. if I power it down, the battery loses only 1% of its power during the 20 hours period.
So the battery itself seems to be o.k.

What do you make of it ā“

BTW:

I already applied all battery-saving settings, like switching on dark mode, disabling wifi and bluetooth etc.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Many greetings from Rosika :)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
THe secret is that the battery percentage isn't really that accurate... It's an algorithmically generated representation, which is easy for us humans to glance at and understand, of a chemical process which is taking place inside your battery. From the sounds of things, there is nothing wrong with your battery and I wouldn't think about it too much . I also wouldn't put it into aeroplane mode while sleeping, but that's just me.

Rosika

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
THe secret is that the battery percentage isn't really that accurate... It's an algorithmically generated representation, which is easy for us humans to glance at and understand, of a chemical process which is taking place inside your battery. From the sounds of things, there is nothing wrong with your battery and I wouldn't think about it too much . I also wouldn't put it into aeroplane mode while sleeping, but that's just me.
Thanks @fuzzylumpkin for your reply. ā¤ļø

O.K., that sounds good then.

To be honest, IĀ“m not using the smartphone much at the moment, as itĀ“s just a replacement for my old landline phone.
I donĀ“t have to be available during the night for anyone and as a rule the phoneĀ“s pretty idle for about 20 hours in a row.

Therefore I was wondering about the phenomenon.

But I donĀ“t want to power it down completely every evening, as IĀ“d have to apply the hardware on/off button to power it on the next day.

So I guess IĀ“ll have to put up with things as they are. šŸ˜Š

Still: itĀ“s good to have someone elseĀ“s opinion.

Thanks again.

Have a nice day and many greetings from Rosika šŸ™‚

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Most phones also have a battery-saver option that can automatically turn on when it gets to a certain low level (which the user may be able to specify). That may be the case for your phone.

On my Galaxy A32 5G, there's an Adaptive Battery option (in Settings>Battery>More Battery Settings as well as an Adaptive Power Saving option (trickier to get to -- Settings>Battery, then tap the words "Power saving", then the 3-dot menu icon at the upper right, then Adaptive Power Saving). I'm not sure what the difference between these is, but if either of them are on, they may contribute to how the battery drains more slowly when it's at a lower level -- this would make sense, since you'd typically want the phone to start conserving power more as it approaches zero.

Rosika

Jan 15, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Most phones also have a battery-saver option that can automatically turn on when it gets to a certain low level (which the user may be able to specify). That may be the case for your phone.

On my Galaxy A32 5G, there's an Adaptive Battery option (in Settings>Battery>More Battery Settings as well as an Adaptive Power Saving option (trickier to get to -- Settings>Battery, then tap the words "Power saving", then the 3-dot menu icon at the upper right, then Adaptive Power Saving). I'm not sure what the difference between these is, but if either of them are on, they may contribute to how the battery drains more slowly when it's at a lower level -- this would make sense, since you'd typically want the phone to start conserving power more as it approaches zero.
Hi @B. Diddy, šŸ‘‹

thanks a lot for your reply and thanks also for the welcome. ā¤ļø

That may be the case for your phone. [battery-saver option]

Yes, youĀ“re right. I have those options available.

When I initially set up the phone, I took care of the settings.

"Adaptive Battery option" is on and so I looked for "Adaptive Power Saving". That one was off; so I switched it on now.

Now both are on. LetĀ“s see if I can spot any difference.

they may contribute to how the battery drains more slowly when it's at a lower level

I see. That really makes sense.
What I was looking for is a setting that lets the battery drain more slowly even when itĀ“s at a higher level. But I guess thereĀ“s no setting for that.

The only way to achieve this would be to power the phone down completely. Doing that on a daily basis seems rather clumsy however.

Well, at least IĀ“ve learnt something new thanks to you @B. Diddy and @fuzzylumpkin .

Thank you so much both of you for your kind help. ā¤ļø

Have a great day and many greetings from Rosika šŸ™‚

Reactions: B. Diddy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter