Bionic tips and tricks

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I noticed there isn't a Tips and Tricks thread yet for the Bionic, so thought I'd start one...

While trying to organize my Bionic's apps into home screen folders that I created from widgets, I discovered an efficient way to do this using the stock App Tray. It may seem involved the first time through, but once you do it, it becomes easy. In about 20 minutes, I organized all my 156 apps into 9 folders - all now placed on my home screen. Also, you can access these folders individually via the upper left icon on the App Draw screen.

Here's how...

App Tray icon on home screen > icon on upper left corner of App Tray > New Group > Name it (ex: Media, Travel or ??) > press/hold folder icon on upper left corner > choose icon for the folder > THEN touch the icon immediately to the RIGHT of the folder name (a 3.5 floppy?) > Message "Empty group. select the "add" icon to add apps" > touch the "+" > apps list appears (check those you want in the folder) > OK

If you want to put the folder icon on your home screen - App Drawer > Press/hold folder icon in the upper left corner > touch selected folder > Add to Home.

You can add or delete apps from any folder at any time - or delete the whole folder, if you want. The presence of folders does NOT change the master App Drawer in any way. :)

nmangiafesto86

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
If you don't want folders or a ton of apps on your home screen, there is a widget you can download called Circle Launcher and you put the app on your screen and add apps to it, it's really nice and it works great. You can make it so you can barely see the widget and can still see your background.

Reactions: dressagerider

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I absolutely agree with you on the Circle Launcher. You can make more than one, even having multiple launchers on the same home screen, and now you can save the profiles. GREAT app! A huge amount of customizing possible. I have two of them active with the home screen icon barely visible. It's one of the best apps out there for convenience and a clean home screen!!

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Another convenience for the home screen is the Audio Manager widget, free from Market, I believe.

It offers options to adjust the volume for System, Alarm, Media, Alerts, Ringer, and Voice - touch the screen widget, which graphically displays each volume level, and you get a screen of six sliders to adjust each.

This widget actually provides more options than the stock volume settings, specifically the System option, which isn't available otherwise. Keep that at the maximum and it will maximize all the other options.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I use Apps Organizer for this purpose. It's fast, clean and highly customizable. It looks stock it's so clean.

It's a free download from the market.

sbudaj

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions on how to create folders. Is there any way to get additional icons other than those stock black and white ones?

potermac

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Voice actions in the market. I love this app it is truly amazing. You communicate with your phone like the iPhone app siri. The only difference is we have had this app for a year now. Its free for Android, and get this, iPhone users have to pay 10 bucks for it.
Game set match, Android

Reactions: ofromda860

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions on how to create folders. Is there any way to get additional icons other than those stock black and white ones?

At this point, I don't know of any ... but your thought crossed my mind as I set up my folders. Not very exciting icons in the stock. Maybe someone will figure that out??

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Voice actions in the market. I love this app it is truly amazing. You communicate with your phone like the iPhone app siri. The only difference is we have had this app for a year now. Its free for Android, and get this, iPhone users have to pay 10 bucks for it.
Game set match, Android

Bingo! But the stock app Voice Command and the mic on the Google search widget have the same capabiities ... for free, also. Take that, iPhone.

potermac

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Voice Actions is Hilarious. My kids and I were yelling at it because it kept saying new york.

I have noticed the new York thing also. It happens when there is background noise. Try learning the ways it says to communicate and it needs to be quite.
Hear is a goods one. Ask her "what is better iPhone or Android and" " how much wood could a wood chuck chuck". It is to funny.
Once you get to understanding how to ask questions it really is amazing. I have been sending ask my texts and making calls using Jennifer Aniston. That's what I named her. Is that weird? yeah ok maybe a little weird. But she told me she likes her new name.haha

pdecell

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Just so you know, you ruined my planned Sunday afternoon of preparing for my Monday classes: I spent a delightful afternoon organizing my Bionic's apps using Circle Launcher. To be fair I probably wouldn't have done any prep work anyway. :D

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Researched this forum for an app that provides a screen icon to turn off the screen without using the physical on/off button on the top. Found the recommendation for Screen Off by iwashi soft. Costs a small amount, but just tap the icon and the screen goes dark, A few seconds later, the "keys" go dark as well. It's not a Power OFF thing; just a screen off. Saves wear and tear on the top on/off button.

Also, this app doesn't require changing administrative authorizations and allowing access to all personal data like some of the similar apps do. It's always a a good idea to check permissions before downloading any app.

cjsmoove

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Researched this forum for an app that provides a screen icon to turn off the screen without using the physical on/off button on the top. Found the recommendation for Screen Off by iwashi soft. Costs a small amount, but just tap the icon and the screen goes dark, A few seconds later, the "keys" go dark as well. It's not a Power OFF thing; just a screen off. Saves wear and tear on the top on/off button.

Also, this app doesn't require changing administrative authorizations and allowing access to all personal data like some of the similar apps do. It's always a a good idea to check permissions before downloading any app.

What Market did you find this at? I didn't see it in the Android Market...

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
It is there, in Market. Search "screen off". There are a bunch of apps with similar names - you need to scroll down past the first screen. When I do this Market search, the "Screen Off" by Iwashi Soft is number 11 in the list. Icon is a solid blue circle with a white power symbol on it (circle with a vertical short line at the top). Hope you can find it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch