What is Motorola's Problem with 4G LTE?

Droid hungry

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Rumors have been that its more of an issue with the Tegra 2 not being able to properly handle the handoff between 4G and 3G. But I don't think it's a moto thing. LTE is still pretty new here in the States and not too many companies have really had to deal with it before.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Rumors have been that its more of an issue with the Tegra 2 not being able to properly handle the handoff between 4G and 3G. But I don't think it's a moto thing. LTE is still pretty new here in the States and not too many companies have really had to deal with it before.

If that were the case we wouldn't have any 4G LTE phones out. Hell Sprint has been using 4G for what about a year now?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
If that were the case we wouldn't have any 4G LTE phones out. Hell Sprint has been using 4G for what about a year now?

Did you actually read his comment? Tegra 2 is a specific, identified, issue with the Bionic. There are no other Tegra 2 LTE handsets that exist, so the issues Motorola and Verizon have had to deal with don't have any quick fixes.

The other part of his statement is completely true; There are all of three active LTE networks on the planet, and none are to the scale of Verizon's. (I recall an article a while back stating that europeans didn't actually believe Verizon had built the network and had to be shown proof that it actually existed) There are going to be issues and hurdles to be overcome. It wouldn't be bleeding edge technology if it didn't have them.

(And other companies haven't been so successful: The Thunderbolt has the worst battery life of any handset since the Evo, and the Charge had an unexplained delay supposedly related to issues with the radio)

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Did you actually read his comment?
Yes, I did.
Tegra 2 is a specific, identified, issue with the Bionic. There are no other Tegra 2 LTE handsets that exist, so the issues Motorola and Verizon have had to deal with don't have any quick fixes.

The other part of his statement is completely true; There are all of three active LTE networks on the planet, and none are to the scale of Verizon's. (I recall an article a while back stating that europeans didn't actually believe Verizon had built the network and had to be shown proof that it actually existed) There are going to be issues and hurdles to be overcome. It wouldn't be bleeding edge technology if it didn't have them.

(And other companies haven't been so successful: The Thunderbolt has the worst battery life of any handset since the Evo, and the Charge had an unexplained delay supposedly related to issues with the radio)
Most smartphones have horrible battery life. That is not a problem limited to HTC Thunderbolt, EVO, or Charge for that matter. The Droid X has horrible battery life as well. None of the phone manufacturers have bothered to do the R&D required to develop, newer, or more efficient batteries to power their smartphones.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site

Why do people think Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T have true 4G: good market spin I guess! They are really "supercharged" 3G networks and no where close to the mechanics of LTE. Verizon has a whole different animal on their hands, although I still do not understand why the manufacturers are finding it so difficult to "work with." Hopefully Moto is truly going to come out with a terrific phone after all of this delay!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Why do people think Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T have true 4G: good market spin I guess! They are really "supercharged" 3G networks and no where close to the mechanics of LTE. Verizon has a whole different animal on their hands, although I still do not understand why the manufacturers are finding it so difficult to "work with." Hopefully Moto is truly going to come out with a terrific phone after all of this delay!

Sorry, I'm just using Verizon's name for it. :cool:

Preach2k

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Droid X has horrible battery life as well. .

I disagree Never had a problem with the Battery with the DX I plugged it into overheads used it for meetings for presentations, some gaming, and movies it last me pretty much a full day now that my wife uses it now it can go 2 days before charging because she does not use it as much. My Storm1 gets better battery life then the TB and I have to reboot it 5 times a day because of low application Memory. There is a big difference with HTC phones.. I used my friends TB for a few days and the Battery was horrible. Droid X I was Very happy with the Battery... Plus you had Battery Management that helped.

Stagger0

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
My guess is the 4G/3G handoff is a complex bit of electronics. Most phones today use a single radio. This radio transmits and intercepts information. Due to the way that cell phones work, this radio is required to constantly transmit/intercept in order to be of any use- i.e. to actually receive a call at any given moment. So, what this means, is that for the Thunderbolt, Charge, and Bionic, they have to deal with two radios, one of which is designed for high speed data, the other which is designed for talk. Two sources of information. The hardware then, has to be able to flip switches if you will, in order to command what radio is sending/receiving information. That in and of itself is not the hard part. The hard part is the persistant connection. Most people will probably expect simultaneous voice and data. While it is possible with two radios, you have to figure out how to handle the varying speeds and delegation of sending/recieving data. That is if I understand it right. I could be completely off basis. I am only a college student.

TL;DR: Two radios = hard times.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I did.

It was a rhetorical question. It wasn't apparent that you had.

Most smartphones have horrible battery life. That is not a problem limited to HTC Thunderbolt, EVO, or Charge for that matter. The Droid X has horrible battery life as well. None of the phone manufacturers have bothered to do the R&D required to develop, newer, or more efficient batteries to power their smartphones.

Droid X battery life was miles ahead of the Bolt's. The battery life on my G2X is better than anything short of an iPhone 4.

The battery life of the Evo, Bolt, and Charge is atrocious. And 4G is the reason why.

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Did you actually read his comment? Tegra 2 is a specific, identified, issue with the Bionic. There are no other Tegra 2 LTE handsets that exist, so the issues Motorola and Verizon have had to deal with don't have any quick fixes.

Sprint uses Wimax

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I thought the battery life on the charge was great. I saw a couple of reviews saying that it lasted for at least a day...

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I disagree Never had a problem with the Battery with the DX I plugged it into overheads used it for meetings for presentations, some gaming, and movies it last me pretty much a full day now that my wife uses it now it can go 2 days before charging because she does not use it as much. My Storm1 gets better battery life then the TB and I have to reboot it 5 times a day because of low application Memory. There is a big difference with HTC phones.. I used my friends TB for a few days and the Battery was horrible. Droid X I was Very happy with the Battery... Plus you had Battery Management that helped.

Well I actually own both a DX and a TB. Not simply borrowed and used one for a few days. The TB's battery life is not very good, but neither is the DX's if you use it frequently.

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I actually own both a DX and a TB. Not simply borrowed and used one for a few days. The TB's battery life is not very good, but neither is the DX's if you use it frequently.

I disagree, I owned both and the DX was outstanding for me, I bought the extended slim battery for it and could go for 2 days with moderate use. The stock battery would get me through the day with heavy use.

The TB is awful....I can use up the whole extended battery in 6-8 hours without even using the phone, I was under 50% one day in 3.5 hours and all I did was make 2 phone calls totaling 6 mins and that is with the 2750 ext battery

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

The DX is like an iPhone 4 when it comes to battery life compared to the Bolt. I have NEVER drained a battery completely in a phone while it was still light out, and I did that with the Bolt three times while I had it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress