Can you flash any ROM on any phone?

TGreg104

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
I know this is a dumb question, but my friend asked me yesterday if you can flash any rom to any phone, I told him no but then I thought that I'm really not sure.

So can you? ie: Droid x rom to Charge? Can you flash other samsung phone roms to the charge?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Better to ask the question than to make a paperweight. No toms are generally made for specific phones. Mostly because of the hardware issues involved by manufacturer. Now something CM7, if the device is supported by the main branch could take the same rom for many phones but that is the exception.

Charged up post!

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: Dumb question about roms.

I know this is a dumb question, but my friend asked me yesterday if you can flash any rom to any phone, I told him no but then I thought that I'm really not sure.

So can you? ie: Droid x rom to Charge? Can you flash other samsung phone roms to the charge?

No, you cannot flash a ROM for one phone onto another phone because the frameworks are going to be different. ROMs can be ported from one phone to another, but that requires a dev taking the ROM from the other phone and making changes to the framework to make the ROM compatible with the new phone. We have many examples of people who have hard bricked their phones by flashing software for the European version of the Fascinate onto the US version of the Fascinate. Same phone name but one is on the GSM network (European) and one is on the CDMA network (US). Different frameworks resulted in hard brick even though the phones share the Fascinate name.

TGreg104

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guyss! Are devs gonna stop putting out new/different roms for the charge since there are newer phones out? Mostly talking about CM7 but also an official release of GC2.0gbe etc.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guyss! Are devs gonna stop putting out new/different roms for the charge since there are newer phones out? Mostly talking about CM7 but also an official release of GC2.0gbe etc.

No, development is not going to stop simply because there are newer phones out. Most of the devs work on several phones. GC GBE 2.0 is out now, there are two EP1W ROMs from the two newest members of Team Sbrissen Mod - imnuts and retrokid223. JT1134 is still working on CM7 for the Charge and once he finishes that, it opens up the door for other ROMs such as MIUI and bringing Sbrissen's Pool Party ROM over from the Fascinate.

TGreg104

Aug 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I've been running the new gbe gummy for a while and I love it, I was just wondering when the official release is coming out with the tool box etc. But I just flashed imnuts new Infinity rom, so far so great. Thanks guys I'll keep my eyes open for new roms.

Landshark

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys, I've been running the new gbe gummy for a while and I love it, I was just wondering when the official release is coming out with the tool box etc. But I just flashed imnuts new Infinity rom, so far so great. Thanks guys I'll keep my eyes open for new roms.

Official GBE with the toolbox is out. It was released on Wednesday the 28th

[ROM][EP1W][CWM]GummyCharged GBE 2.0 9/28/2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty